Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:17 PM

125 posts, read 363,797 times

Advertisements

Poor doors are apparently illegal but now this building is trying to justify separate entrances for market and non-market rate tenants. 10 Freedom Tower is separating the affordable segment by designating it as stone and the market rate as glass. I also read that those who win this lottery will be told to use a separate entrance.

I walked by the construction site today and noticed that all the affordable sections of the building were below the level of the highway so even if you are facing the river you won't see it -_- And on the other side the same thing applies: if you live in the affordable segment, all you see is a brick wall but suddenly one floor higher (glass) sees above the brick wall. Talk about clever ways of manipulating the laws to discriminate and give the worst views to the lower income tenants -_-

How do you guys feel about this? I hate every bit of it but am so in love with midtown. I'm so conflicted but if granted an interview I'd probably decline. I mean, who would want to face a brick wall or highway for the rest of their lives? :/

Old 10-11-2016, 09:18 PM

More details in the link

New Luxury Skyscraper Features "Poor Door" On "Freedom" Place: Gothamist

Old 10-12-2016, 07:40 AM

6,684 posts, read 6,029,446 times
I wouldn't apply. Some of us are not, poor but middle class.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:55 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,842,579 times
I wouldn't care. A studio or one bedroom in a great area for a great price! I have a community board preference since I live on the Upper West Side, so I'm hoping I have a chance!

Just because I wouldn't care doesn't mean I think it's not ridiculous and should be banned, though.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
I wouldn't care. A studio or one bedroom in a great area for a great price! I have a community board preference since I live on the Upper West Side, so I'm hoping I have a chance!

Just because I wouldn't care doesn't mean I think it's not ridiculous and should be banned, though.
I agree, the area is amazing but what they are doing and the fact that they are getting away with it is so wrong. Given that one of my biggest dreams is to live in midtown, I would be tempted to go to the interview (if I ever get one) but for me the cons of this building definitely outweigh the pros.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:34 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
views cost money. why is this hard to understand? I am currently in various housing lotteries and do not expect (of course I'm not an entitled person to begin with) that paying 1/3rd or 1/2 the rent of other people to expect an amazing view. no one is being corralled through "poor doors" btw, there's just certain apartments that are more desirable thus more money.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
views cost money. why is this hard to understand? I am currently in various housing lotteries and do not expect (of course I'm not an entitled person to begin with) that paying 1/3rd or 1/2 the rent of other people to expect an amazing view. no one is being corralled through "poor doors" btw, there's just certain apartments that are more desirable thus more money.

That's not entirely true, a lot of people who have won lotteries mentioned that they have killer views. Also, I think buildings are required to evenly distribute the amount of 20/80 tenants on each floor to prevent "segregation" and this is done in many buildings like emerald green

Old 10-12-2016, 05:21 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
Well that's nice to know, but it still doesn't help with your entitled attitude about it. I.e. if you don't get that fantastic view in midtown you might not go through with the lottery... okay then.. 40 thousand other people will gladly do so. clearly you don't need housing as bad as you think you do.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Well that's nice to know, but it still doesn't help with your entitled attitude about it. I.e. if you don't get that fantastic view in midtown you might not go through with the lottery... okay then.. 40 thousand other people will gladly do so. clearly you don't need housing as bad as you think you do.
First off, you don't know anything about my living situation. Also, if you want to go stare at highways and brick walls for the rest of your life then go ahead, not my problem.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:43 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,842,579 times
Well, the lottery is now closed as of November 1. Next up, log numbers? Anyone here apply?

I abhor poor doors, but the location is amazing and the apartments are supposed to be huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery