Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2016, 11:29 PM

3 posts, read 13,319 times

Advertisements

Wonder when they'll start contacting applicants. Going for 2bd. It's hard to get too excited. Still seems like a long shot. Good luck to you too! Fingers crossed they call!

Old 01-13-2017, 02:36 PM

11 posts, read 14,886 times
I have log #4241 and have cb7 preference
Has anyone received a interview letter yet?

Old 01-13-2017, 02:52 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,843,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNETTE123456 View Post
They have to do the disabilities first, and then the CB. The CB preference has, as of October, been split in two (homeless CB and regular CB). They may do the homeless CB first, especially since Breaking Ground specializes in homeless referrals and I suspect that Breaking Ground has become involved in this affordable housing process because of their experience in working with the homeless.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:54 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,579,361 times
^^^ Makes sense.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:43 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,567 times
The point of these lotteries is that nothing makes sense. And once you realize that, you'll relax and stop trying to apply rationality to an irrational process. I hope I don't sound rude, but I'm telling you this for your own good and sanity. Breaking Ground was involved in this project long before the guidelines changed to give preference to those living in shelters, so squelch that hypothesis. Most of these 80/20 marketing agents have long histories in low-income housing (Phipps probably has a longer history than Breaking Ground) and all have worked with the shelter system. So who knows why Breaking Ground is in charge of what it's in charge of. Regarding American Copper (I think I would give my left little finger to get in there), who knows. I'm in the CB, but have an astronomically high number -- if I'm going to get called, I wouldn't expect to hear anything before June because of my high number. And truth be told, I'm not even sure I qualify anymore, given some of the guideline changes. But then the process takes so long I could be qualified by the time my number comes up. It's a magnificent building (I know some people think it's ugly, but I don't) designed by very well-known architects right on the East River. Good luck to all.

Last edited by Moving415; 01-13-2017 at 03:56 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 10:12 AM

I live really close to the building so I went by yesterday and took some pics. 10 Freedom Place South

It's really obvious how the 'affordable' part (the stone base) is separated from the 'luxury' part (the glass tower). It's kind of awful. But I'm not complaining, I'd still live there in a heartbeat.

While I saw some appliances in the affordable units, indicating that they may be ready soon, there is still a lot of work being done in the lobby/poor door entrance as you can see in the pics (facing west- the luxury entrance is on West End Avenue facing east). I have no idea when they would get a C of O. And I don't know if they begin verifying applicants until a building has a C of O.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful. But I'm not sure yet if my log number of 12,xxx is good enough even with a CB pref, given that there are only 29 community board units (116 units total, so 58 total community board units, but 29 of those CB units set aside for homeless, and 29 for regular community board.)

Also, in the event that I leave the community board (my lease is up soon and this area just gets more and more expensive), does anyone know if I just need to prove that I was a resident of the community board as of my application date? Or do you need to stay a community board resident until a hypothetical lease signing?

Last edited by wiivile; 01-16-2017 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-26-2017, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 13,319 times
my log# 2xxx and I live in cb7 and still no word :-(

Old 01-26-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeshe23 View Post
my log# 2xxx and I live in cb7 and still no word :-(
Don't worry about it. You're pretty much guaranteed to be called with that log number and CB preference. The building isn't finished yet and they don't usually call people until like 3 months after the deadline anyway (which would be like February). And I imagine this may take even longer now because of the new requirement to fill 1/2 of CB units with homeless people.

Breaking Ground is managing 10 Freedom Place, American Copper, and 435 West 31st Street, all of which are large buildings that had lotteries that closed within 2 weeks of each other in November. I hope they don't get overwhelmed.

My recommendation would be to use this time to make sure all your paperwork is in order and make sure your paystubs reflect an income that would be within the range.

I'm still hopeful that my number of 12,xxx (CB pref) will get me a shot even with the new homeless requirement.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,805 times
I got my letter yesterday with log number in the mid 5000. I have lived on the upper westside all my life, born and raised. I also work in a building in Chelsea with 80/20 apartments. Two separate entrances the main lobby has concierge and the other as of now security. But that will change soon with that entrance being unmanned. With that said we do not under any circumstance discriminate the low income residents from entering or leaving thru a specific lobby. Wish me luck on my interview. I need my own place and that would be great with whatever entrance I have to go thru. Upper Westside rocks!!!!!

Old 02-26-2017, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNETTE123456 View Post

Yes I received my letter to call and make an appointment at 330 W 42nd which is right down the block from my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery