Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2017, 09:26 AM

387 posts, read 559,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picuco View Post
If you're a freelancer or self employed I think they calculate income by averaging the last three tax returns. Would that give you the number they got?
Yea but even if that was the case, there was another self employed person on here that has the same issue. Let's say there was a steady increase every year, they would then have to assume that the increase would occur for 2017 and therefore increase this years projection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 09:42 AM

110 posts, read 176,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslove View Post
Yea but even if that was the case, there was another self employed person on here that has the same issue. Let's say there was a steady increase every year, they would then have to assume that the increase would occur for 2017 and therefore increase this years projection.
I am not self employed, I am an independent contractor. I have both 1099 but also W2 form the seasonal job, so it is mixed income. Both incomes come from the same jobs for the last 3 years. So not sure that rule applies to me. There is an increase this year, yes... so this year I make more then previous years.

But let's just assume the rule does apply to my situation -even if they averaged the last three years and this year income - I still make more this year than what they calculated. The number they came up with blows my mind, I would seriously love to know how they did the calculation.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:06 AM

387 posts, read 559,417 times
We are all speculating and trying to figure out how they f**ked up your income lol

Good luck ���� you should be fine

Old 09-03-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslove View Post
We are all speculating and trying to figure out how they f**ked up your income lol

Good luck ���� you should be fine
haha I figured... So nice you guys are with me in this, thank you for helping me to try to figure it out.
I thought of it ALL ALL as well (as you can tell), many things crossed my mind; I did all kinds of calculations, read the guidelines and all.

I know mixed income is tricky to calculate, but I really think I got this and I am right. It's all in the paper, but I guess it's easier for them to just reject it 'because it's complicated' but they could have done better than putting me $200 under, I mean come on

Old 09-03-2017, 11:07 AM

58 posts, read 86,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly36 View Post
haha I figured... So nice you guys are with me in this, thank you for helping me to try to figure it out.
I thought of it ALL ALL as well (as you can tell), many things crossed my mind; I did all kinds of calculations, read the guidelines and all.

I know mixed income is tricky to calculate, but I really think I got this and I am right. It's all in the paper, but I guess it's easier for them to just reject it 'because it's complicated' but they could have done better than putting me $200 under, I mean come on
I find that so ridiculous. $200!! Can't you just work some overtime and then submit new stubs? Lol. All you need is a $4 increase in your weekly average. You can do that with just an extra $24 in one week of the 6 stubs.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:25 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,464,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly36 View Post

Mixed income is not at all tricky to calculate, it's just that these people are morons.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picuco View Post
I find that so ridiculous. $200!! Can't you just work some overtime and then submit new stubs? Lol. All you need is a $4 increase in your weekly average. You can do that with just an extra $24 in one week of the 6 stubs.
Exactly, would be so easy to just do this! It would work and I would totally do that (although hard when you have 10 business days to appeal hah!) but there is no need for it really, because I am few K over, not $200 under

Old 09-03-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
Mixed income is not at all tricky to calculate, it's just that these people are morons.
I started to work on my appeal. It starts with Dear Morons ... just as you suggested

Old 09-04-2017, 04:22 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,464,167 times
To Jelly 36: I just answered your DM to me, but it's not appearing in my Sent folder, so I'm not sure you got it. It was weird. I couldn't respond directly to your message in the thread, so I created a new one to you, but it's not showing in my Sent folder. If you didn't get it, I'll rewrite it and resend it later this afternoon. I'm going offline now for a while. Reading a great novel to get away from this lottery stuff for a while. It's like a vacation.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
To Jelly 36: I just answered your DM to me, but it's not appearing in my Sent folder, so I'm not sure you got it. It was weird. I couldn't respond directly to your message in the thread, so I created a new one to you, but it's not showing in my Sent folder. If you didn't get it, I'll rewrite it and resend it later this afternoon. I'm going offline now for a while. Reading a great novel to get away from this lottery stuff for a while. It's like a vacation.
Great idea, enjoy your novel. No rush. Never got the DM, but it happened to me once few days ago when I was sending it to you. I logged out, logged in later and then it worked. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery