Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:01 PM

779 posts, read 1,006,278 times

Advertisements

Only have time to read up to page 7 of this thread...

I'm currently looking to buy a home in Trump Towers, Coney Island, they privatized in 2006. From everything I gathered, the maintenance stayed low and within reason of the market rising. However, they started doing some work with the building, and now the monthly assessment is $65 a month until 2027, at this point I'm just plugging the assessment into the monthly maintenance, because I'm sure they will be doing more work over the years, and adding on top of the current assessment. The prices at the trump towers are really high, for something that used to be subsidized, 1 bedrooms go for about $300-350k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 07:09 PM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The neighborhood listed is elderly to mostly lower middle class for nearly everything from West 37th St (not including Sea Gate) to West 1st St. What part of Coney Island do you think is upper middle class?
Check the housing prices and come back to me. I used to spend a lot of time around there in my college days, people around there got it

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-25-2017, 07:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,819,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Only have time to read up to page 7 of this thread...

I'm currently looking to buy a home in Trump Towers, Coney Island, they privatized in 2006. From everything I gathered, the maintenance stayed low and within reason of the market rising. However, they started doing some work with the building, and now the monthly assessment is $65 a month until 2027, at this point I'm just plugging the assessment into the monthly maintenance, because I'm sure they will be doing more work over the years, and adding on top of the current assessment. The prices at the trump towers are really high, for something that used to be subsidized, 1 bedrooms go for about $300-350k.
Go for the 2-bedrooms without any renovations and the purchase price will be lower.

The flip tax paid by the seller keeps the maintenance cost within reason. Maintenance: Around $800/month (including ALL utilities : heat, hot water, gas and electric) + fees (assessments (AC, Dishwasher,construction, parking spot (none are included with apartment) + misc. agents and lawyer + mortgage.

A quick look at Craigslist yielded the following for $400k for a 2 bedroom:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/reb/6092848107.html

Looking at the photos this is 2915 W 5 St facing the school and not the street. The only update is the kitchen with a minimal renovation. Floor looks to linoleum. Can be bargained down.

With renovations jumps up around $100k.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/reb/6092848581.html

Old 04-25-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Check the housing prices and come back to me. I used to spend a lot of time around there in my college days, people around there got it
Just did. See previous post. And?

Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times
Quote:
How can you gentrify a neighborhood that was already middle to upper-middle class?
I don't know that neighborhood, but the point there is Mitchell Lamas can go private in any NYC neighborhood. It's really up to the people in the building.

His point was it had nothing to do with gentrification and regardless of whether the area was middle to upper middle class, it did not gentrify.

I have no stats though on Mitchell Lama privatizations.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Just did. See previous post. And?
At very least the neighborhood is middle class. Especially West Brighton. I just don't see anything poor around there.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
At very least the neighborhood is middle class. Especially West Brighton. I just don't see anything poor around there.
West Brighton is Coney Island. Don't get fooled by the word Brighton.

https://www.propertyshark.com/mason/...klyn-NY-11224/

Population in poverty 29.7%

Old 04-25-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
West Brighton is Coney Island. Don't get fooled by the word Brighton.

https://www.propertyshark.com/mason/...klyn-NY-11224/

Population in poverty 29.7%
Thats what is reported....the neighborhood certainly does not look impoverished; it has any amenity one could need.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Thats what is reported....the neighborhood certainly does not look impoverished; it has any amenity one could need.
11224 has nearly none (Trump Village shopping center no longer exists). 11235 is what has the amenities (depending on what calls amenities on BB Ave). Never said it looked impoverished. You'd have to go to the start of Mermaid Ave and work west from there. That area is slowly being gentrified by bulldozing entire blocks.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:31 AM

779 posts, read 1,006,278 times
Quote:
Go for the 2-bedrooms without any renovations and the purchase price will be lower.

The flip tax paid by the seller keeps the maintenance cost within reason. Maintenance: Around $800/month (including ALL utilities : heat, hot water, gas and electric) + fees (assessments (AC, Dishwasher,construction, parking spot (none are included with apartment) + misc. agents and lawyer + mortgage.

A quick look at Craigslist yielded the following for $400k for a 2 bedroom:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/reb/6092848107.html

Looking at the photos this is 2915 W 5 St facing the school and not the street. The only update is the kitchen with a minimal renovation. Floor looks to linoleum. Can be bargained down.

With renovations jumps up around $100k.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/reb/6092848581.html

There are two bedrooms going for 350k without a terrace, descent move-in condition.

I don't need a 2 bedroom, and I'll be pushing my limits trying to afford the extra costs in maintenance, and renovation costs.

I would consider a two bedroom, if they would allow to sublet freely after 2 years, the current policy allows you to rent out for 3 years out of a 5 year period, I would love to airbnb the 2nd bedroom, or let alone rent the entire place in several years when I'm ready to upgrade.

Everyday is a learning experience when looking for a first home. Thank for the info....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery