Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 05:58 AM

34,164 posts, read 47,398,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
SeventhFloor said "poor". I said lower to middle class. Most of the original coop owners came in under much lower income levels than what exists now. They didn't come in the six figure income limits that exist now. And don't forget there are 100's of fixed income elderly still there (as they are on SS and whatever savings they have, they are now below the poverty level based on income).

HPD - Find Housing - Mitchell Lama

If I could get into a ML that had a limit of $80k on salary, I'd be able to own a Mercedes too. When you start to see S500s I'd say you crossed into upper middle class incomes.

Before the tear down: Chinese, Greek and the Pizzeria. Russian? Where?
I believe the Russian cafe was on the same side as the liquor store but I could be wrong

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 09:42 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,200,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Is insulting language like that acceptable on this board? Or specifically on the New York forum?
Where is the lie though???

Please tell me how you are not. You are considering selling out tens of thousands of people just like yourself who need affordable housing. Never mind the fact that you benefited from affordable housing, you want to make sure no one else in this city benefits from affordable housing

Can you think of something more self-centered and obnoxious?
Can you think of a bigger sleeze bag move?

No I don't think you can, and that's why instead of defending privatization your mad at name calling

Old 04-27-2017, 10:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,802,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I believe the Russian cafe was on the same side as the liquor store but I could be wrong
That was before the Walgreen's when the video store was there and it was a Russian bakery that were in the lot near the F line.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:45 AM

779 posts, read 1,005,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Where is the lie though???
The lie is....you act like your a perfect civilized New Yorker.

Here's your thread saying you get satisfaction when people get "jumped" in your hood. And you sit behind your computer calling someone with opportunity, that you wish you had, a piece of $&!7?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-who-gets.html

Being able to own a piece of NY real estate through mitchell lama is something anyone with half a brain would jump on.

Don't judge someones personal decision that impacts their life, you work for what you have, if you not happy with what you have and still struggling, you haven't worked hard enough...

Old 04-27-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You call Apple Bank lower middle class, or any of those businesses in the shopping center? Lower middle class businesses are check-cashing places, bodegas, things like that....Hell, if I remember correctly, you even had to pay for parking....lol
There was a reason I typed the following: (not including the bank). Since the names on the three banks changed every few years. Nearly all the original residents of Trump, Warbasse and Luna Park were/are White then they moved in. What is lower middle class for NYC, is simply middle class for the other 98% of the nation. Most of the people who are now the elderly in the neighborhood were part of families that moved in decades ago, paid a few thousand for their shares and had low carrying charges based on their incomes. Places with "check-cashing places, bodegas, things like that...." are not the norm to a White predominantly Jewish neighborhood. Never has been, never will be. You want those places, then head to the not yet gentrified part of Coney Island that start in the west teens on Mermaid Ave and are/were predominantly Black. As to the parking lot charging, that started around 1980 due to beach goers packing the parking lot during the summers for free. If you were the person who owned that parking lot, it would've made perfect sense to start charging. Also around the same time they leased out parking spots, since many people went from MTA commuters to car owners to multiple car owners. Again as a business owner it made sense. As for people who actually shopped in those stores, the first hour was free at that time.

FYI: When I moved out of the NYC metro area ~25 years ago, my low at the time six figure income got me a 2000 sgft house on 5 Acres of land for under $100k. I went from my crappy car to a brand new fully loaded Ford Explorer within a few months. Wife got a brand new Nissan Maxima. Replaced all my old NYC furniture with brand new furniture within a year. Had liquidity then and have liquidity now. There is no public transportation, everything needed is a 15-30 drive, free parking, plenty of amenities. And best of all there is no city noise and the air does not stink.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:46 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,200,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
The lie is....you act like your a perfect civilized New Yorker.

Here's your thread saying you get satisfaction when people get "jumped" in your hood. And you sit behind your computer calling someone with opportunity, that you wish you had, a piece of $&!7?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-who-gets.html

Being able to own a piece of NY real estate through mitchell lama is something anyone with half a brain would jump on.

Don't judge someones personal decision that impacts their life, you work for what you have, if you not happy with what you have and still struggling, you haven't worked hard enough...
Hey genius,

Mitchell lama housing is public social-housing that is meant to be non-for profit affordable housing. Unions and workers spent years fighting to have co-ops that millions of workers could actually afford for once. This is one of the few apartments that you can buy for an affordable price as a working class person.

I do happen to own a Mitchell Lama unit, which is why I'm particularly disgusted by people who view it as some sort of profit-scheme for self gain when I know how hard people fought for us to have this program

And yes I am civilized, I posted that forum as a response to the glorification of people getting evicted from their homes that was going on in another thread. Gentrification is wrong and it hurts working class New Yorkers.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
There was a reason I typed the following: (not including the bank). Since the names on the three banks changed every few years. Nearly all the original residents of Trump, Warbasse and Luna Park were/are White then they moved in. What is lower middle class for NYC, is simply middle class for the other 98% of the nation. Most of the people who are now the elderly in the neighborhood were part of families that moved in decades ago, paid a few thousand for their shares and had low carrying charges based on their incomes. Places with "check-cashing places, bodegas, things like that...." are not the norm to a White predominantly Jewish neighborhood. Never has been, never will be. You want those places, then head to the not yet gentrified part of Coney Island that start in the west teens on Mermaid Ave and are/were predominantly Black. As to the parking lot charging, that started around 1980 due to beach goers packing the parking lot during the summers for free. If you were the person who owned that parking lot, it would've made perfect sense to start charging. Also around the same time they leased out parking spots, since many people went from MTA commuters to car owners to multiple car owners. Again as a business owner it made sense. As for people who actually shopped in those stores, the first hour was free at that time.

FYI: When I moved out of the NYC metro area ~25 years ago, my low at the time six figure income got me a 2000 sgft house on 5 Acres of land for under $100k. I went from my crappy car to a brand new fully loaded Ford Explorer within a few months. Wife got a brand new Nissan Maxima. Replaced all my old NYC furniture with brand new furniture within a year. Had liquidity then and have liquidity now. There is no public transportation, everything needed is a 15-30 drive, free parking, plenty of amenities. And best of all there is no city noise and the air does not stink.
Feel free to remember it the way you want, everybody down there was not just barely getting by....what does lower middle class even mean? We're poor, but we're not?

Old 04-27-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Feel free to remember it the way you want, everybody down there was not just barely getting by....what does lower middle class even mean? We're poor, but we're not?
If the median income was around $30k back in 2000, then anything further back was less. So what do you call $30k per year?

http://library.downstate.edu/community/2005/cd13.pdf

Old 04-27-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
If the median income was around $30k back in 2000, then anything further back was less. So what do you call $30k per year?

http://library.downstate.edu/community/2005/cd13.pdf
I'd call it unreported...you know how many Lexuses I used to see on Neptune Avenue back around those times, the GS300 was the car of choice back then for the area. But I'm just sharing my personal experience.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I'd call it unreported...you know how many Lexuses I used to see on Neptune Avenue back around those times, the GS300 was the car of choice back then for the area. But I'm just sharing my personal experience.
I visited the area pretty often upwards of 2010 and it was the ES300 which is basically a upgraded Camry. As I got to park within the parking lot itself, nearly everything around me were older American cars and inexpensive foreign cars. There were a few Mercedes, but they were rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery