Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2022, 05:47 AM

40 posts, read 58,873 times

Advertisements

A recent article on semi-privatization efforts: https://citylimits.org/2022/07/29/op...ousing-should-be-preserved-not-dismantled/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 02:29 PM

42 posts, read 65,070 times
Damn I hope Cadman doesn't privatize, I feel like they just went through this process that took years.

Old 09-23-2022, 07:30 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,639,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach1234 View Post
A recent article on semi-privatization efforts: https://citylimits.org/2022/07/29/op...ousing-should-be-preserved-not-dismantled/
FYI,
Gov. Kathy Hochul has signed a law that raises the bar for Mitchell-Lama co-ops to opt out of the affordable-housing program and convert their apartments to market rate. The governor’s move has sparked sharp divisions. Supporters of affordable housing are delighted; shareholders and sponsors in Mitchell-Lama co-ops who yearn to transform their apartments to market rate are equally dismayed.

The new law requires that 80% of residents — up from 67% — must choose to opt out of the program. It also requires Mitchell-Lama co-op boards to hold six shareholder meetings a year, and if a vote to opt out fails, it places a five-year moratorium on a new vote.”

Source, January, 2022:
https://www.habitatmag.com/Publicati...l-Lama-Program

Old 09-25-2022, 08:23 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
WildAboutHarry, thanks for posting that. I'm glad Hochul signed the law. Buildings can still leave ML, but the new law has erected a much higher bar. Too bad this wasn't done 15 years ago.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:09 AM

I am on the wait list for a one-bedroom, and I just got an email from Cadman. The two-bedroom list there has apparently been cleared of applicants. Rather than have a lottery for a new two-bedroom list, HPD has told Cadman to instead contact those on the one-bedroom list to see who has the family composition to qualify for a two-bedroom purchase.

It's a great offer because you would be going to the head of the two-bedroom list, depending on how many others have opted for that. So if you have the family composition that qualifies and would like a two- bedroom, look for that email!

a parent (or guardian) and at least 1 child

a brother and a sister who are both adults

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2022, 02:21 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,639,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I am on the wait list for a one-bedroom, and I just got an email from Cadman. The two-bedroom list there has apparently been cleared of applicants. Rather than have a lottery for a new two-bedroom list, HPD has told Cadman to instead contact those on the one-bedroom list to see who has the family composition to qualify for a two-bedroom purchase.

It's a great offer because you would be going to the head of the two-bedroom list, depending on how many others have opted for that. So if you have the family composition that qualifies and would like a two- bedroom, look for that email!

Good luck!
Thinking out loud here. I wonder if 1 bed applicants with applications on hold will get the email re the new two bed list. Such persons should reach out to Cadman if they think they qualify. It’s an opportunity not to miss.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:31 PM

23 posts, read 22,885 times
Default 2-bedroom list email

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post

Good luck!
I also got this email today! I was initially so excited because I ultimately need a 2-bedroom and this sounds perfect. But after a bit of thinking, I'm not sure that switching over to the 2-bedroom list would be faster than staying on the 1-bedroom list, because of the fact that they offer 3 out of 4 (I think I read somewhere) vacant apartments to the internal list first. So I'm afraid of a situation where I switch to that list only to draw out my wait time even more.

I have an email in to them to discuss, so let's see what they have to say about it.

Old 10-21-2022, 03:13 PM

I'm glad you reached out, but my impression is that whoever switches to the two-bedroom list will be No. 1. Of course it depends on how many people switch over, and I assume it will go in log number order.

When I was at the open house for the last one-bedroom a couple of months ago, Taray Gill was talking about opening up the two-bedroom list, and one person in our group was interested. I believe Taray told the person that if she switched, she would be at the head of the line. So I assume HPD approved the switchover aspect.

Taray can probably tell you if your chances would be better if you stayed on the one-bedroom list. But you may get lucky. How many people on the one-bedroom list will qualify? I don't.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:30 AM

42 posts, read 65,070 times
Is it possible you can be on both lists at the same time? And if a bunch of 1bedroomers switched to 2 bedroom , the 1br’er with the lowest log number I assume will be the first on 2br, but after that it would probably take awhile to be called bc of the internal list.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:40 AM

Taray Gill would probably be the only person to answer this question, since it involves strategy. She would be able to say how many one-bedrooms turned over versus two-bedrooms in the past year.

As far as I know, you cannot be on two ML lists at once in the same development, but that is also a question to Taray.

And the one-bedroom vacancies also go first to the internal list. Am I missing something? People keep mentioning the two-bedrooms going first to the internal list. There are people in one-bedrooms who want a higher floor or a different view, or to switch from the smaller one-bedroom to the larger one.

Anxiously, do you qualify for the two-bedroom list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery