Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 03:46 PM

11 posts, read 69,907 times

Advertisements

Anyone get 2 bedroom application yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 05:21 PM

10 posts, read 47,121 times
No, it seem like they haven't sent the 2 bedroom applications yet.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
Ergh, not looking too good for me scoring in the lottery (put in cards for both the studio and 1 bed lotteries, as was allowed), but then again I have not gotten any mail at all since Friday, which is unusual, so maybe there is something going on with my mail delivery and all hope is not lost. Plus I am still on the Masaryk list.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:57 AM

113 posts, read 216,617 times
Nothing yet/ is everyone going to receive an application or only if youre chosen. I gave up. I thoufht I didnt grt chosen. LLools lile we are all on the same boat.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:22 AM

329 posts, read 682,107 times
Hey guys,

I also didn't get picked :-(
At least we tried right! and at least I'm on the Masaryk Towers list which fits my needs at the moment. Just wish those number would move faster I have about 300 more a head of me!

PopArtist Dinner party at your place :-D

Old 09-24-2014, 11:59 AM

218 posts, read 473,186 times
anyone get one bedroom today?

Old 09-25-2014, 09:55 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanting_to_move View Post
Hey guys,

I also didn't get picked :-(
At least we tried right! and at least I'm on the Masaryk Towers list which fits my needs at the moment. Just wish those number would move faster I have about 300 more a head of me!

PopArtist Dinner party at your place :-D
In the past few weeks I was really hoping to score in this lottery as some good opportunities are presenting themselves to me, but it could cause a one-time spike in my 2015 income that, if more than $12-13K, could knock me out of Masaryk unless that list moves much slower than I think. Penn South's limit is much higher so I would still qualify with whatever I might gain from this opportunity(ies) (unless it's the huge bucks, in which case I could buy something else ) . Not going to stop me from going for as much as possible though. Hope is fading by the minute for Penn South though, I got mail last night but nothing from them.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:21 AM

26 posts, read 123,364 times
No, it seem like they haven't sent the 2 bedroom applications yet.[/quote]

What make you think they haven't sent 2bd apps yet? I hope you are right. That's what I'm waiting on.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 13,836 times
I never really paid much attention to these housing lottery until my gf made me apply for Penn south in July. Still I didn't expect to win but got mail on Saturday that I was chosen to be on the waiting list for a studio. Still didn't believe it thinking it was some receipt for applying while my gf was jumping up and down. Anyhow, I make 90k annually not including bonus (usually range from 10 - 15k).

I know I still qualify but would require to pay extra surcharge but do they heavily discriminate on income?

How long do internal waiting list usually take?

Old 09-25-2014, 04:12 PM

8 posts, read 16,825 times
Smarterchild, keep in mind that the $82,100 they reference as the upper limit (+50%) is for the larger studio, which is figure is the upper income limit for the ones with terraces categorized as 3 rooms. I nfound the formula online used to calculate the income limit --- monthly carrycost of the unit X 12, plus $55 per room for painting (seems to be per year rather than per month), plus 6% of the equity paid for the unit plus electricity. So the studios categorized as 2 rooms will have a lower income cap than the ones categorized as 2 1/2 or 3. Using those calculations, the smaller "2 room" studios have an income cap of around $57,000 (+50%), the 2 1/2's around $70,000 (+50%), and the largest 3's with terrace at $82,100 (+50%). Generous amount to be sure, but with your bonus you'll have to keep an eye on income and will likely be over the cap is your number comes up for one of the smaller ones.

Any Penn South folks, please chime in if I have this wrong.

Getting the letter was almost like getting that acceptance letter to college, way back when. Almost that exciting. Heck, not almost. It was that exciting. I almost want them to rent out a theater and invite everyone down for freshman orientation, i.e. "Congratulations and welcome to the Penn South wait list", where they tell you all the ins and outs you need to know. like how fast each category has moved year to year, how long after you're 'in' to get on the internal waitlists to move 'up' and how long the waiting list is to get a parking space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery