Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 07:05 PM

21 posts, read 29,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incog79 View Post
Congrats!

Were any of the ones you saw renovated? If yes, did you learn anything about what are your options for keeping the renovations or having the apartments restored to the default cabinets and fixtures?

AFAIK all floors are refinished and all apartments are restored before new tenants move in (assuming the new tenant doesn't want it "as-is").

Yes, one had part of the wall which separates the kitchen and the living room knocked out. The counters were also redone in marble. I don't know if they would actually be restored to the default counters - but it would be a shame. The renovations had been done by the owner prior to the current resident, so I'm assuming that one might have the option to keep them. The current resident said that the previous owner had asked for a bit of money, but I don't know how long down the line one can make such a request!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 8,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labro347 View Post
Hi,
I have A question for you, when you went to sign your least did they ask for the full month rent and security because they told me If HPD approves me I will be moving in on the 15th and I will have to pay a full months rent and security but I’m confused as to why because I’m moving in in the middle of the month. Also how long did they give you to come up with the money
They called me on a Monday to schedule my lease signing for that Friday and that’s when I needed to have the deposit and 2 months rent which one was prorated because I didn’t move in on the first.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:17 AM

7 posts, read 5,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astoldby View Post
Not really. It’s not like I was desperate for a place or haven’t been through a similar process before. I felt better about turning it down when I saw the reactions of all the others to their apartments.

I figure if I am only half-heartedly interested in accepting, it’s not worth it. The apartment deserves to go to someone that truly wants / needs it. I am fortunate enough to be in a place where it wasn’t necessary.

I have been selected for many different buildings (CB 3 is always getting new developments) in the past. There will always be other lotteries/opportunities.
Based on their reactions were they unhappy?

Old 06-06-2019, 08:37 AM

58 posts, read 109,636 times
Yes its a 1 bedroom. I didnt realize it but some of the stuff were unfinished in the pictures like the cabinets.. But now that I moved in.. this place is HUGE! I guess it looks small without any furniture? But there is so much room all my stuff looks sparse. Theres really barely any difference from the market rate apts besides the kitchen appliances. And this building is so fancy... still adjusting lol

Old 06-06-2019, 09:41 AM

40 posts, read 76,461 times
Default Wuzza?

New Lottery is open! ... our spot on the waiting list is still the same...

Old 06-06-2019, 10:08 AM

430 posts, read 506,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aminalex View Post
New Lottery is open! ... our spot on the waiting list is still the same...
wow, they're letting people register online through the housing portal.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:50 AM

319 posts, read 400,676 times
re opened and i applied
last time didn't get selected for any of them
doubt this time will be any different

Old 06-06-2019, 10:54 AM

3,140 posts, read 2,733,403 times
I'd think that would be a hopeful sign for people on the waitlist, though? It means they feel they will be moving through the list.

I applied but not getting hopes up.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:34 PM

345 posts, read 853,728 times
Why are they opening the list if they have a long list already? Do they need the fees that badly?

Old 06-06-2019, 03:46 PM

31 posts, read 58,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
Why are they opening the list if they have a long list already? Do they need the fees that badly?
I don't think that the application fees would be that significant at $100 each (remember that the fee is only asked for once you get accepted to the list and not for the first stage). My guess is that they plan to run through the list in the next year or two and don't want to be in a situation where there is no one on the list to fill apartments (they need to narrow down the people who win the lottery and get them to apply, which would take time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery