Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaDaDaDa View Post
For those of you who got the letters to view the apts. can you share what does the letter say beside ur position? So when did they ask the documents they needed? After u put in ur choice and u got picked?
The letter says nothing other than 'you've been selected as a part of a group to view the following apartments'

and it lists the addresses of the apartments available

It'll also specify what number you are in said group. I'm not sure the number of people in each group. I received 3 letters before I closed on an apartment. Maybe it's 15 people in a group?

First letter was 12th pick to view 2 separate studios, one on 24th street (closer to 9th ave) and the other up on 28th street (closer to 9th ave).

You view, then sign the letter stating that you viewed the apartments. You also sign on whether or not you WOULD accept one or both of those apartments if the 11 people ahead of you pass. I believe you only get ONE "pass" or turn down offer. I think after two turn downs you get removed from the list all together. So choose wisely. I feel that if you were lucky enough to get on to the wait list that, unless the place is egregiously bad, just accept everything you see and deal with it later. Even the apartment on the 2nd floor right above the loading entrance I said I would accept. At that point I was 12th on the list so I figured I wouldn't get it anyway

About 2 months after the first letter I got a second letter - I was the 9th pick to view I believe 3 studios, all in the big building on the corner of 9th ave and 26th street.

About another month after the 2nd letter, I got a third letter I was the 6th pick to view another 3 studios, spaced out over a few different buildings. I think I opted to not view 1 of them because I saw a similar line in another building. I said I would accept any of the 3 studios

About 3 weeks after my third and final letter, it turns out the 5 people ahead of me didn't accept anything or disqualified themselves. So, I went from #6 in the group to #1 and had my choice selection of the 3 studios I saw. I chose the one I wanted and proceeded with the closing...which is another big process in and of itself.

You don't need to provide any supporting documents or anything when you start to receive viewing letters. That only happens once it's your turn and you select the apartment.

The turnaround time from when you receive your first viewing letter until you have keys in hand is most likely going to be 6 months. Could be more, could be less. Just realize...once you get a letter saying you need to come in and view...start getting prepared because within a calendar year you will be living at Penn South (god willing)

I believe Penn South's credit requirements are much more lax than they were because honestly, after I went through viewings and selected my apartment, I did not think I was going to pass a credit check. My credit was in a bad place and I was very worried. However they didn't even mention it. I passed with flying colors. Proof of income, credit check, and home inspection

Carmen does the closings and she is amazing. Kind of a no-nonsense person, definitely an old school NY type. firm but fair and very patient.

Unlike other horror stories of mitchell lama buildings losing your contact info right before it's time for you to move in, Penn South goes above and beyond when trying to reach you to let you know it's your time. I was away for 2 months so I wasn't getting my mail and they ended up e-mailing me...I high tailed it back to the city

The 2014 waiting list is moving fast. I almost wasn't ready to move forward. It's a miracle I was able to. You gotta realize that I was 250 on the wait list when I started to get letters to come and view. I started out as 480-something in the initial lottery. So one day I'm looking and I see there are 249 people ahead of me and I figure "ahh it'll be another 2 or 3 years" and then I get a letter in my mailbox.

One of the studios I saw was occupied, and the outgoing tenant was transfering into a 1 bedroom. This tenant was a part of the 2014 studio list. So, inbetween 2014 and 2018 she had moved into a studio, put her name on internal transfer after 3 years for a 1 bedroom, and got THAT transfer within a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckyMoCi View Post
If any Penn South residents are reading... would you please shed some light on the safety/crime status around the area? Is it a safe neighborhood to walk around at night? Thanks
It's fine. 8th avenue up towards MSG is an area I never really liked to be around to begin with but if you're at the 'lower end' of the complex down by 24th or over on 9th avenue I would say it's probably a little better than being up on 28th and 8th.

Penn South's security and their entire staff in general is massive. Those maintenance fees go towards good use and they really take care of everything there. They run a tight ship and there are a lot of rules but it goes a long way. The grounds are insanely well maintained and the security is everywhere. If you ever go into the security office you'll see they have an entire wall of camera screens. I wouldn't feel unsafe in Chelsea regardless but especially in or around penn south its as safe as it gets

Old 05-23-2019, 06:27 PM

8 posts, read 11,546 times
@pennsouth420 Wow that's great info, thank you so much for sharing!

Old 05-24-2019, 10:53 AM

22 posts, read 35,709 times
[quote=pennsouth420;55251299]
Thank you so much for your detailed insights. I have heard that different building in the same complex might go to different school? Do u have any info on that? Any ideas about the parking waiting list? Is it hard to find street parking?

Old 05-24-2019, 03:06 PM

430 posts, read 506,695 times
[quote=WaDaDaDa;55257418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsouth420 View Post
Thank you so much for your detailed insights. I have heard that different building in the same complex might go to different school? Do u have any info on that? Any ideas about the parking waiting list? Is it hard to find street parking?
oh i can help with the school thing.i've been knee deep in gathering school info.
so Penn South complex is located in District 2. You can look up on the BOE site to see the boundaries of the district.

Now there are two elementary schools zoned for Penn South.
If you live 26th Street and north of that, then you're zoned for PS33 Chelsea Prep.
If you live south of 26th street, then you're zoned for PS11 William Harris

you can do your own research on the individual schools.

i don't know if i read on this forum or somewhere else, the waiting list for parking is about 5 years. street parking? i mean it's essentially midtown manhattan, it's tough and not alot of it.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:01 AM

127 posts, read 216,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspearls View Post
Do you mind sharing your log number?
Sure I was about 1xxx. CB preference. As mentioned prior, at my orientation we were told it was currently only 6 residents living in the building thus far. It was super super new. There were folks with disability preference at my orientation so I could tell I was in pretty much the 1st round of approvals.

I would say be patient. It took these people a looooooonnnnnng time to wrap up this lottery and my log number was relatively low. I know for a fact they purposely slowed down on interviewing and calling new logs in many times because of al the construction delays. I sent paperwork in for months and months and months.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:45 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
astoldby,

It is a pity you went through all this rigmarole only to turn down the offered apartment

Old 05-26-2019, 01:03 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astoldby View Post
Hey there.

The building finally got its CO and people are starting to move in. I went to an orientation last week and was allowed to view my unit. The building is new NEW so the laundry room isn’t finished yet, the PM said tenants should keep receiving mail at their current place or get a PO Box for awhile. Only cable/internet provider currently setup is Verizon at the moment. Only 6 tenants had moved in thus far when our group went to view units.

Building feels massive inside, super long hallways. Beautiful. Very modern. Microwave and dishwashers included.

I seriously went back and forth with whether I would take the unit though. I currently live in a lottery apartment and my current place is more aesthetically pleasing and efficient than the unit I was shown. I am in the highest AMI bracket for a single person and yet my unit appeared tiny. Small bedroom, small bedroom closet, box shaped living room and a view of another building across the street.

My current apartment has a very nice view, end of a hallway, L shaped living room space and large kitchen. My bedroom isn’t massive but I have a large double door walk-in closet and another smaller closet inside the room. Two additional closets outside the bedroom as well.

Tbh, if I had been offered an apartment on a higher floor with a better view, I probably would have went for it. I just wasn’t wowed. There were other families from lower AMI groups that showed me their units and they looked much bigger. Those families had views of only the inside/other side of the building but were much not spacious. Also met the super and he was lovely, very friendly. He also confirmed for me that certain units on the lower AMI lines are more spacious than those on the side facing the city.

I will be turning my unit down but best of luck to everyone else!
wise decision. that’s how you decide. somethin else will come along.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:09 AM

128 posts, read 227,531 times
Actually the parking garage wait list is more like 8-10 years. Street parking is not terrible. If you're patient, spots open up often.

Regarding safety, Penn South Security team is very present, However, I also feel more comfortable on 9th ave then I do on 8th. 9th ave below 25th st has a more neighborhood feel.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:04 PM

8 posts, read 11,546 times
Thanks for the info @mrspeel77! A quick question on internal transfers: According to @pennsouth420 does it mean that you have to live in an apartment for 3 years before you can put in an internal request for transfer? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery