Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2019, 12:47 PM

85 posts, read 156,029 times

Advertisements

Penn South is doing a brand new lottery -> waiting list for Studios, 1 beds, and 2 beds.

Open from now until June 24th

https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...entPdf/764.pdf

Post cards -and- Mitchell Lama Connect. Although they're technically not a Mitchell Lama building you can apply on ML connect...

This is a brand new waiting list, as they predict that by the time this one is fully formed, they will have fully moved through the 2014 waiting list (for studios at least, not sure about 1s and 2s).

Regardless, I know they are planning on opening the list every 5 years if all goes well, and they are keeping the number of entries capped so that the lists do not swell.

In the past they had a perpetually open list that you could sign up for in person in the management office, and when they changed to the lottery system for the first 2 lotteries they allowed an unlimited number of people on the list which led to 20'ish year waits. Now they are capping the number of lottery applicants so that the list will take no more than 5 years to cycle through.

Because of various re-financing and needing to go to the city for monies, plus whatever deal they had with HUD prior to when Trump got in office, they are also locked into being 'affordable' and can't even think about going private until sometime in the 2050s.

This is all great news for anyone wanting to get in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 01:03 PM

69 posts, read 101,267 times
Default Congrats!

Wow! Congrats @pepperony 35k log #..CB preference really helps!!!
I have municipal preference. Yes, this forum helped me to understand the process too. Thanks to all who have posted. Stay positive

Old 06-07-2019, 01:52 PM

3,184 posts, read 2,807,467 times
Basically, if you buy into a limited-equity coop, you are giving up all potential returns on the money. You should include that in your calculations of the cost of buying in there--e.g., if you make a $33K down-payment, that money is basically getting no return, not the return you'd get on an appreciating property elsewhere, not the return you'd be getting if that money were in the market, or even just in savings. The real value of that investment will thus (because of inflation) decrease steadily over time. But, in my calculations, the carrying costs are low enough that you'd still come out ahead under most circumstances. It will depend on your personal finances, though. You really CANNOT treat it as an investment that will on sale go towards funding retirement, as I think a lot of people do (perhaps unwisely) their homes. You need to have enough OTHER retirement savings.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:13 PM

8 posts, read 12,478 times
Does anyone know about how long it takes after your application is submitted to HPD to hear back from HPD, and then how long it takes to get date for lease signing?

Old 06-10-2019, 03:25 AM

4 posts, read 2,659 times
@annaborgos hey did you ever get a respond from them I also went for my interview and gave all my documents in last weeks ago

Old 06-11-2019, 02:15 PM

48 posts, read 53,256 times
My log number is 9** / No preference. I was hoping to get called! Goodluck to everyone.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 5,826 times
My mother has the application not myself and she said she has not heard back. I am simply assisting her from an outer borough & the back and forth is more frustrating than I thought it would be.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,334 times
I got my first interview on April 25th and on May 28th got a called to sign papers to be sent to HPD, and this morning I got a called that I was approved and got an appointment for an orientation for this Friday.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:27 AM

111 posts, read 208,009 times
I'm 40xxx. My income has gone up since applying and there is no way to let the know.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:51 AM

4 posts, read 2,659 times
Congrats on your new apartment if you mind who was taking over your case and how many bedroom you applied for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery