Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2019, 01:19 PM

430 posts, read 505,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBrooklyn View Post
I also had some issues with the online portal. I wasn’t able to upload the documents (ID and photo). There was a link for technical support. I clicked on it and reported the problem but didn’t receive any confirmation or response. A day later I tried the site again. Still didn’t work. I waited another day and then it worked. All this to say: the site doesn’t work perfectly. Just wait a day or two and keep trying.
You guys talking the Penn South site or the Housing Connect site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 01:54 PM

44 posts, read 48,320 times
I just spent about an hour talking to a current resident at their place about all of the ins and outs of owning at Penn South.

One thing I came away with is that the wait list is NOT going to be even CLOSE to accurate at this point.

Because there are 1,250 (of 25,000+ from the 2019 lottery) new folks who have won and been invited to pre-apply/confirm their interest.

They are going to collect those pre-applications through the end of January of 2020.

THEN Penn South will add the people who pass that process to the end of the existing external wait list starting in February of 2020 in the order of their lottery ID number.

There is no way there can be an official count until we know who has followed through.

I would guess that the existing “wait list” number on the application page as shown is only the people who are on the existing external/internal wait list.

Also, this is a guess but it seems like a lot of vacancies were probably opening up for the 2014 lottery because they let the old wait list dry up way prior to it and there were AND because the tenants who’ve been living and even starting to live there is previous years tended to be a lot older than the crops from the 2014 lottery because they simply waited a lot longer to get on the list. 10-20 years up until 2014. A lot of old residents either downsized, moved away or passed away so there was a surge of vacancies.

That’s the reason there were fewer applications accepted for this lottery. These new tenants are getting in at a far younger average age and will be staying a lot longer so the turnover is going to slow down more and more for a decade or more.

Again, this is just me spitballing based on reading 130 pages of this forum and other assorted documents.

This is absolutely nuts.

I have NO idea where I am in this process.

Luckily I am in good housing that we can afford and it’s year to year rental m so ending our lease won’t be a huge issue as a lot of people want this place.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminalex View Post
Anybody having issues getting on the waiting list login page? My hub says it's because Flash is no longer. Maybe they switched it to a new site. Anyone who was notified from the 2019 list receive login information?
The link from the Penn South site doesn’t work. I could only get the one from the email they sent us to work and only on Chrome. Not Safari. And definitely not on my iPhone. The old one doesn’t work at all.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
2014 2 BR here- there's at least 19 of us. i suspect many more that aren't on this board.
the waiting list number is just for your cohort. once you get access to the internal site, it'll show you how many applications are active/inactive and what year they are on. for 2BR there was a handful of active applications from before 2014.

it was 4 years before we got to look at apartments. i've been contact 3 times since then to see a total of 10 apartments.
What was your original 2014 lottery ID number? Just trying to figure out about where you were for that.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:32 PM

14 posts, read 18,616 times
Hi Dreamer, I was referencing the technical problems on the Penn South site.

Hi Bob, Yes, that’s how I understood the waitlist process as well based on the explanation on the acceptance notice. We don’t know how many people from the former waitlists are on hold or getting off hold. We’ll have to patiently wait to find out our waitlist position in February! And we don’t know how fast apartments are becoming available. Hopefully whenever someone on this thread gets an apartment and share their position number, we’ll have more information to better speculate wait time.

Btw, I so appreciate having this thread. My friends and family are excited for me but it’s different from connecting with people who are going through this!

Old 12-01-2019, 03:16 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBrooklyn View Post

Btw, I so appreciate having this thread. My friends and family are excited for me but it’s different from connecting with people who are going through this!
Yes!
Also its really hard to explain this process to people who don't know about it. They get confused

Old 12-01-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Yes!
Also its really hard to explain this process to people who don't know about it. They get confused
It also has gone through a LOT of changes in the last 5-6 years. Some of the key stuff is super murky and powered by unicorn farts.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:59 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,641 times
All I know is all weekend I've been trying to look at one bedroom layouts and the website is down, lol.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:18 PM

38 posts, read 115,006 times
Shadypinesma try this link and see if it works for you:
https://static.pennsouth.coop/floor_plans/step_01.html

Old 12-02-2019, 12:04 AM

14 posts, read 17,291 times
Hi all,

I moved in about a month ago and still settling in.

Interviewed in mid-August and signed least by end of September.

I love my apartment!The building is lovely. The concierge service is very nice. I think heat, gas, and water are included in rent. Haven’t added amenities yet. Looking for any surprise bills just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery