Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 08:36 AM

233 posts, read 403,921 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Congratulations to everyone who won the PS 2019 lottery! I think it's great that some of you who have been so supportive of the 2014 waitlisters on this forum have made it to the 2019 list! And for those who did not get selected, keep the positive attitudes that you've displayed in your posts! This list has moved much faster than in years past, and they will definitely be opening another list within 5 years, so visualize yourselves on it, and we'll be rooting for you as well!

hkcg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffunkmaster View Post
I got an email today to schedule an interview in the next two weeks and my current lease won't be up for another 9 months! Hypothetically, if everything works out and they grant me a unit, I'd be faced with this dilemma. So, for those who won their apartments and had to get out of their current lease, how'd you do it...?

Was it:

A] Paid rents for both apartments
B] Transferred current lease/sublet
C] Broke lease with landlord's permission (got security back)
D] Pushed back lease signing for lottery apartment
E] Some other way

Pushing back the lease signing for the lottery unit would be the least stressful and easiest situation, so interested in hearing from people that were able to do that.

Also, couldnt find any threads where this question was answered but if anyone has links to any I'd appreciate answers from there too
I am in the same boat, but unlike the others, may have to break my lease in the low period over the winter (where the LL may not be so nice). Not sure how they expect those of us who are applying for "affordable" apartments to pay for two of them in order to secure the rent-controlled one? In any case, please let us know if you're still waiting or have signed a lease, so that we can get a better understanding of the timeline. If you're still in the process, good luck!

Old 12-03-2019, 08:55 AM

36 posts, read 37,399 times
Any updates? I'm loosing hope guys

Old 12-03-2019, 10:24 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,623,234 times
Did you read your current lease? What does it say?

Old 12-03-2019, 10:29 AM

1,046 posts, read 471,580 times
Default Question about putting application on hold

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have read back through the whole forum as I start my quest for an apartment at Penn South. I'm one of the lucky people who were chosen in this year's lottery and will be sending in my application ASAP.

What I wanted to ask, and have seen referred to here, is how I would go about putting my application on hold once I submit it? I don't have all my finances in order right this minute but will spend the next several months getting them in order. Do I write a letter asking to be put on hold. Is that still possible?

Can anyone shed any light on this? It would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Old 12-03-2019, 10:29 AM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
For me iot was mostly C, I broke the lease with landlord's permission and I got my security back...MOSTLY. I ate a month paying for both places.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 3,677 times
Me and you both

Old 12-03-2019, 11:27 AM

430 posts, read 509,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have read back through the whole forum as I start my quest for an apartment at Penn South. I'm one of the lucky people who were chosen in this year's lottery and will be sending in my application ASAP.

What I wanted to ask, and have seen referred to here, is how I would go about putting my application on hold once I submit it? I don't have all my finances in order right this minute but will spend the next several months getting them in order. Do I write a letter asking to be put on hold. Is that still possible?

Can anyone shed any light on this? It would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
You would write to the office via snail mail. at least you used to. maybe now you'll be able to do it electronically depending on the website update.

Btw, you'll have years to get your finances in order, not months.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:34 AM

1,046 posts, read 471,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
You would write to the office via snail mail. at least you used to. maybe now you'll be able to do it electronically depending on the website update.

Btw, you'll have years to get your finances in order, not months.
LOL, this is me being optimistic! I recall reading someone on here who got a 1 bedroom within 5 months. But I'm definitely going to put my finances in order starting now so that everything is set when the time comes. Thank you for your response. It's much appreciated!

Old 12-03-2019, 11:40 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,623,234 times
Trisky, it does depend on what your log number is and what size apartment you’ll be getting. If you share your approximate number, maybe someone can hazard a guess.

I am wondering if Penn South is sticking to the same policy that after you freeze, you continue to move up the list. If that’s the case, you don’t lose anything by freezing. Someone on the 2014 list posted that she unfroze her application in May and was called to see apartments in June. Of course, this also depends on what your number is and how long your application remains frozen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery