Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 11:45 AM

1,046 posts, read 472,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Trisky, it does depend on what your log number is and what size apartment you’ll be getting. If you share your approximate number, maybe someone can hazard a guess.

I am wondering if Penn South is sticking to the same policy that after you freeze, you continue to move up the list. If that’s the case, you don’t lose anything by freezing. Someone on the 2014 list posted that she unfroze her application in May and was called to see apartments in June. Of course, this also depends on what your number is and how long your application remains frozen.
I'm not sure which is my log number? My email/letter state that my lottery number is 2019-00845S for a studio. When I log into the website it tells me my lottery position is 110. So not sure which number I should be looking at. I haven't finished the application yet so I'm assuming that number will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 613 times
hello, does anyone know if after u see the apartment u can ask if there are other units available? I recently went to view the apartment after I signed the pre-lease and its ok but I would prefer a bigger closet as mine are a bit smaller than what I need. Also I didn't get a response back from HPD yet, they told me while I was waiting I would be able to view the apartment and after I accept they would contact me for orientation, which sounds a bit backwards but hey

Old 12-03-2019, 01:12 PM

4,795 posts, read 6,631,749 times
We have discussed that number, LOL, and the consensus is that the second number, the lower one, is your position on the wait list. After everyone replies, maybe new numbers will be generated, I don’t know! There are fewer studios than one bedrooms, so that will affect how fast you move up.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:31 PM

44 posts, read 48,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
I'm not sure which is my log number? My email/letter state that my lottery number is 2019-00845S for a studio. When I log into the website it tells me my lottery position is 110. So not sure which number I should be looking at. I haven't finished the application yet so I'm assuming that number will change.
I am reasonably certain that the last number (in your case “00845”) is the actual random lottery number you were assigned among the 25,000 people who applied to receive an application. They gave a unique number starting with 00001 all the way up to 25000+.

They then chose 1,250 applicants from those numbers to send application invitations to.

A person or computer went through and picked the first 400 applicants for studios in order, 600 for one-bedrooms, and 250 for two-bedrooms. They kept those numbers and added “S” to the end of the studio applicants, “N” to the one bedrooms and “T” to the two bedrooms.

So 0001S would be the very first lottery number added to the studio waitlist. The first four could be all studio applications so it might be 00002S, 00003S, 00004S and 00005S. Then the 6th, lets say, would be a two bedroom applicant, so would be 00006T. But it would be the FIRST two bedroom added to the two bedroom wait list.

So the best we can do right now with those numbers is estimate about where you land within the approximately 1,250 applicants. It’s not going to be evenly divided because we don’t know if there was a much larger number of applicants from one group or another, but we can guess.

So you would be 845th out of all the 1,250 first applicants so about two-thirds the way through any of the new additions to the wait list.

We have little idea how many applicants are left on the existing wait lists from 2014 and prior. But given that they won’t have new applicants from 2019 in the system until February of 2020 it’s likely they left substantial padding of at LEAST 5-6 months of applicants so people who are earlier in the new wait list applicants have time to get their affairs in order.

My guess, based on what happened last lottery is that they are trying to do this every five years so they don’t have these massive, inefficient wait lists. That means they should be close to finishing each wait list in that time.

If you are 2/3rds of the way through the numbers of the 2019 lottery, I’d guess that you might estimate you will be about 3-5 years away from getting offered a place starting February 2020.

That is a HUGE guess. Their turnover rates are changing massively due to this new lottery system and wait list, the more expensive maintenance fees from a few years back as well as the aging population that has been living their since the 1960s-80s leaving their apartments.

That is a an educated guess on how the system works based on a previous experience with lottery apartments!

Old 12-03-2019, 02:34 PM

1,046 posts, read 472,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjohnson55 View Post
I am reasonably certain that the last number (in your case “00845”) is the actual random lottery number you were assigned among the 25,000 people who applied to receive an application. They gave a unique number starting with 00001 all the way up to 25000+.

They then chose 1,250 applicants from those numbers to send application invitations to.

A person or computer went through and picked the first 400 applicants for studios in order, 600 for one-bedrooms, and 250 for two-bedrooms. They kept those numbers and added “S” to the end of the studio applicants, “N” to the one bedrooms and “T” to the two bedrooms.

So 0001S would be the very first lottery number added to the studio waitlist. The first four could be all studio applications so it might be 00002S, 00003S, 00004S and 00005S. Then the 6th, lets say, would be a two bedroom applicant, so would be 00006T. But it would be the FIRST two bedroom added to the two bedroom wait list.

So the best we can do right now with those numbers is estimate about where you land within the approximately 1,250 applicants. It’s not going to be evenly divided because we don’t know if there was a much larger number of applicants from one group or another, but we can guess.

So you would be 845th out of all the 1,250 first applicants so about two-thirds the way through any of the new additions to the wait list.

We have little idea how many applicants are left on the existing wait lists from 2014 and prior. But given that they won’t have new applicants from 2019 in the system until February of 2020 it’s likely they left substantial padding of at LEAST 5-6 months of applicants so people who are earlier in the new wait list applicants have time to get their affairs in order.

My guess, based on what happened last lottery is that they are trying to do this every five years so they don’t have these massive, inefficient wait lists. That means they should be close to finishing each wait list in that time.

If you are 2/3rds of the way through the numbers of the 2019 lottery, I’d guess that you might estimate you will be about 3-5 years away from getting offered a place starting February 2020.

That is a HUGE guess. Their turnover rates are changing massively due to this new lottery system and wait list, the more expensive maintenance fees from a few years back as well as the aging population that has been living their since the 1960s-80s leaving their apartments.

That is a an educated guess on how the system works based on a previous experience with lottery apartments!
Thank you so much for the educated guess. Your logic is sound to me but we're all just stabbing in the dark. If I have to wait 3-5 years I'm cool with that, gives me time to save up so I have to borrow less! I'm just excited to be in the pot at all to be considered. I was in shock when I got the email, but a happy shock. Looking forward to the process as it evolves.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:45 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,695,937 times
BobJohnson55 straight shooting math! I love it.

Highly plausible. It makes sense. That's what I suspected too, that the first number was the "pull" number and the second was your actual place in line for the apartment choice in your size.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:56 PM

94 posts, read 107,146 times
I told my management company that it was a possibility and they talked to the owner. They said because i'm a good tenant, they would allow me to break my lease with a 30-day notice. not sure how timing will work if i get approved for the apartment I'm waiting for, but hoping for the best.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:43 PM

18 posts, read 17,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple1234 View Post
They sent my file to HPD for approval but it’s been almost a month now since I heard anything.
How do you know the sent your file to the HPD??

Old 12-03-2019, 04:00 PM

185 posts, read 312,548 times
Hello congratulations to all ! Question: if a daughter is picked and puts mother on app when completing application. Does the primary (main applicant) need to meet the minimum income. Or will the second applicant be able to show it if the main is short on income. Thank you. the wait will help get things in order as seems to be the case with applying.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:10 PM

4,795 posts, read 6,631,749 times
Penn South will look at your household income. That has to be within the range. So you and your daughter should be fine.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 12-03-2019 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery