Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2017, 11:29 AM

994 posts, read 1,058,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weip2k View Post
the income band for this is atrocious. low 20's to 30's. really?
Its 40% AMI and 120% AMI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 06:08 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,902,326 times
I applied for Phase 2 and I’m in Phase 1 as well. By 12:01 Friday morning my application was submitted

Old 09-30-2017, 10:46 PM

195 posts, read 430,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I applied for Phase 2 and I’m in Phase 1 as well. By 12:01 Friday morning my application was submitted
This is a first for me seen someone be on both... Thats aweseome you have two chances to get in. Have you gone to interview for phase one? I applied for phase 2 at 12:02Am. we will see what the time means...

Old 10-01-2017, 07:41 PM

67 posts, read 115,996 times
what is phase one and phase 2?

Old 10-02-2017, 06:07 AM

387 posts, read 559,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilita View Post
what is phase one and phase 2?
From my understanding and from what I read on here, phase 1 is the first lottery you applied to. They opened up a 2nd lottery with different income ranges-phase 2. According to one of the people on here, apartments from phase 1 will be included in phase 2 and in order to be called again for phase 1, your log # needs to be low enough.

Im not 100% sure so dont take my word for it but that's what I got from reading here. Someone from phase 1 already got called a second time for the certification so they are still processing your paper work

Old 10-02-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinoman818 View Post
This is a first for me seen someone be on both... Thats aweseome you have two chances to get in. Have you gone to interview for phase one? I applied for phase 2 at 12:02Am. we will see what the time means...
My circumstances are complicated with them. They haven’t been communicating well with those who’ve been interviewed so I had to.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:13 AM

24 posts, read 51,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybloom View Post
Thanks MrsPeel77! Yes, i was thinking we'd sell when we got called, or just before we got called, and rent/wait out the remaining amount of time in a rental. Though of course it's hard to predict when we will be called. Do you know if we could put ourselves on hold the first time we get called, then sell and then take ourselves off the hold? Seems complicated and probably not the best idea I've ever had

Brooklynmom2, we are currently number 138, down from 520 a few years ago in 2014. I used to believe we were in great shape to be called in 1 to 5 years, but now that they have included so much transparency in the list, I no longer believe this to be true. I think people typically get in quickly (around #100 as you say) in the studio and 1-bedroom lists, then get married/have kids and apply for the 2-bedrooms that way, making those of us on the external 2-bedroom list wait much longer. Right now there are 24 (ish? can't quite recall and the list isn't loading for me right now) from the internal list waiting for 2-bedroom apartments, and they will always get priority over the outside list. So that's most of the 30 units each year going to internal transfers, in theory. And of course you can see there are people on the 2-bedroom list who have been there since 1998, which is a VERY long time. I have two other data points that lead me to believe those of us on the 2-bedroom waiting list will wait approximately 15-20 years for a spot: one is that I know someone who sold her 2-bedroom in PS to move to a 3-bedroom in PS (she was on the internal list for it for a while). She said the family who bought her 2-bedroom was literally at #1 on the external list and had been waiting close to 20 years. This is far different from the 1-bedroom people, who are called in to buy at #135 or whatever. My final data point comes from a commenter on this board a few pages back. S/he was just called in to look at apartments, and she waited 18 years on the external 2-bedroom waiting list.

My biggest worry now when it comes to PS is that we currently have a 9-year-old. If we wait more than 14 years and he is no longer living with us, we will not be eligible for the 2-bedroom at all and would have to start over on the 1-bed list.

I hope I'm wrong about the 15-20 year timeline for the external 2-bed list, but I don't have much confidence in it after seeing the newly transparent list and how long many have been on it, and how many internal transfers there are. But if you have other data points, do let me know. Good luck on your wait -- I am keeping fingers and toes crossed that it's faster than I now anticipate!
Hi Mollybloom,
Thanks for your response! I am so confused by the wait for the 2 BR also. I don't know how we dropped 300 spots in one year but there are still so many people from 1998 on the list. I am going to track on my own using their list to see how the list is moving. If the wait is over 7 years my daughter may not still be living with us either--yikes! Good luck to you!

Old 10-04-2017, 11:36 AM

67 posts, read 115,996 times
that is horrible, I was qualify for one bedroom apartmen when I applied first time, now second lottery is 40% and 120% I am not qualify for any of them but low 40% income people will qualify for one bedroom apartment and I am 60% but I am qualify studio. it is not fare...

Old 10-04-2017, 02:30 PM

195 posts, read 430,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilita View Post
that is horrible, I was qualify for one bedroom apartmen when I applied first time, now second lottery is 40% and 120% I am not qualify for any of them but low 40% income people will qualify for one bedroom apartment and I am 60% but I am qualify studio. it is not fare...
You were qualified? meaning you went through the full process? When did they tell you that you could not sign the lease anymore? Apartment lotteries are stressful, but hearing stories where people were approved or management company changed plans would make me go crazy...

Last edited by latinoman818; 10-04-2017 at 02:39 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 04:59 PM

listen, no. unless you were sent a letter, disqualifying you, or wait-listing you, then you're still being considered.
pilita please answer your DM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery