Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2022, 08:21 AM

18 posts, read 21,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Congrats again! Did you see any apartments you liked? My daughter saw seven apartments, told the office there was one she would not accept and was offered one apartment, a G line on a lower floor. She accepted it and had the closing in mid-April. She and her husband love Penn South! Best of luck to you!
Thank you very much! Looks like we are gambling with Penn south boss. Because I have rejected one A line on the 1st floor, and I can't reject the 2nd, so they could push you to accept the worse one G line because I have no choice any longer. Anyone who rejected any 2 apartments, will be removed from the waitlist. Only if someone before my list number, had chosen the one I rejected, it means I didn't reject anyone.

Last edited by King'sReturn; 12-19-2022 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 08:45 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Wow, what a coincidence. My daughter also rejected an A line on the first floor! I wonder if it was the same one.

Yes, it sucks to not have any choice, but, take heart, my daughter loves her G line. The way it is laid out, the living room feels really separate from the bedroom. And you can't beat the low monthly charge, it's a steal. Plus, once you're in, you can go on the internal list after three years and specify exactly which apartment you want.

I have tips on how to make the G line kitchen work better, so if you take the G, you can message me if you like.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 12-19-2022 at 08:55 AM..

Old 01-06-2023, 01:07 PM

7 posts, read 12,845 times
Does anyone know the minimum income requirement for Penn South and if they accept Unemployment as income? Due to the pandemic both my husband and myself were out of work and got U/E

Old 01-07-2023, 05:24 PM

The minimum income requirements are on the original PDF when the lottery was announced in 2019. It depends on the size of the apartment. Amounts have gone up a little bit in the years since. Unemployment counts as income.

Old 01-07-2023, 05:46 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,631,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazziz View Post
Does anyone know the minimum income requirement for Penn South and if they accept Unemployment as income? Due to the pandemic both my husband and myself were out of work and got U/E
Income levels were different for studio and one bedroom. If you sign into your account on Mitchell-Lama connect you can click the link “Penn South” or whatever the text is to open the original PDF. You can save/print a copy.

Income required, Studio min was ~$19k, 1 bed min was ~$25k in 2019.

While on the waitlist, I suppose, less than min income would not eliminate you unless you are offered a unit and attempt to purchase it.

Good luck and good patience.

Old 01-08-2023, 12:37 PM

Thank you! We were just offered a unit (it's lovely! an H line) and have our paperwork ready to go tomorrow. I was only concerned because at Stuytown (where we are now in a lottery apt.) our Unemployment didn't count as income. We are both freelancers and with the pandemic, we lived on Unemployment for most of 2020 and half of 2021. We don't exceed the income limits and i made more than 25 K by myself in both years (W2s) so we're gonna be ok! WHEW!

Now, does ANYONE know about the Penn South Contracting situation?

Old 01-08-2023, 12:44 PM

HI King's Return! We saw apartments on the same days as you did and got offered one last week. Now, we're handing int he paperwork tomorrow. Are there more meetings after that? I'm wondering about renovations... I'd love some more intell if anyone has any??

Old 01-08-2023, 02:01 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,631,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazziz View Post
Thank you! We were just offered a unit (it's lovely! an H line) and have our paperwork ready to go tomorrow. I was only concerned because at Stuytown (where we are now in a lottery apt.) our Unemployment didn't count as income. We are both freelancers and with the pandemic, we lived on Unemployment for most of 2020 and half of 2021. We don't exceed the income limits and i made more than 25 K by myself in both years (W2s) so we're gonna be ok! WHEW!

Now, does ANYONE know about the Penn South Contracting situation?
Excellent. Does Penn South offer a single unit to only one household at a time or multiple households at the same time?

Suggest you use search function on this thread for financing/mortgage ideas (2019 ~$85K studio, ~102K 1 bedroom), and for contractor and renovation rules. There are well more than 100 tabs so you will get some hits most likely.

Possible mortgage option:
https://pennsouthcreditunion.org/

Old 01-08-2023, 02:23 PM

Wow, an H line! Lucky you! Such a lovely layout, and a balcony!

Regarding renovations: Penn South has a lot of rules. After you accept the apartment, you will receive a 100-page batch of documents that will let you know what the rules are for making changes to your apartment.

For informal advice, I recommend trying to join the Penn South Facebook group. It's a closed group and you need to be approved, but since you will be moving in, maybe the admins will accept you. Then you can search to see if the topic has been covered or post your own question. In my limited experience, residents are happy to share their experiences and will even post photos.

Quote:
Excellent. Does Penn South offer a single unit to only one household at a time or multiple households at the same time?
Apartment viewing is done in batches.

When it's your turn to view apartments at Penn South, you will get a letter, saying, “We are contacting you to view the following apartments.” Underneath that you will see the sizes, addresses, and prices of several apartments.

Let's say there are seven apartments on your list.

Then you will be told,

You have the 16th CHOICE OF THESE APARTMENTS (or whatever number: fifth, 11th, etc.).

So you go see the seven apartments and wait until everyone ahead of you either chooses a unit or declines. Then you will be offered what is left. Some people get lucky and get to choose among a couple of apartments, or you may be offered just one. Or you may be offered none, and after a month or two you will get another batch of apartments to see.

You can reject one apartment, but if you reject two, you are booted from the list.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 01-08-2023 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-08-2023, 04:12 PM

Thank you MACNYC!! Unfortunately, we don't have a balcony as we're on a lower floor (3) but we DO have two HUGE WINDOWS that look out onto trees. It's like a treehouse. I will check out that facebook group! I don't want to do anything too crazy - just knock down as much wall in that kitchen as possible to open up that space into the living room and maybe build a closet or two. Fingers crossed all goes well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery