Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2023, 08:32 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybloom View Post
Hi all,
I thought I'd share a little factoid for the other 2-bedroom obsessives out there. I've been keeping tabs on my number and its movement for many years so I decided to try to use past list movement to predict future movement. Using my records and a calculator, I've figured out that on average (since 2016--before that there was an enormous jump because they changed the whole tracking system) I have found my number has moved 18-19 spots per year.

This movement information, combined with our new knowledge from mkny14 that we need to get quite close to number 1 on the list to be offered a 2-bedroom, could help you calculate the approximate year you might move in. Now, could there be all kinds of mitigating factors such as internal list candidates, pandemics, and more? Absolutely yes. But I'm choosing optimism and hoping this 18-19 spots per year thing might hold, and that mkny14 might get their long-awaited apartment offer any week now.

Happy waiting, all!
I admire your research! It's very helpful and puts a realistic spin on what is usually a guessing game.

I want to add that as a list ages, it tends to move more quickly. People's lives change, and the longer they're on a particular list, the more likely it is that they have moved out of the area, died, found other housing, had their family composition change, no longer qualify, etc.

So, if that holds true in this case, I hope you guys are pleasantly surprised by getting an offer sooner than you expect!

Another factoid I picked up was that a few years ago, it was said that about 70 one-bedrooms become vacant per year at PS. Comparing that to Molly's calculation of 18-19 spots per year for the two-bedroom units shows why that list moves at glacier speed!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 05-17-2023 at 08:46 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 10:53 PM

59 posts, read 56,692 times
Thanks macnyc2003 for the added perspective.

According to the PS website, there are 1371 one-bedrooms and 864 two-bedrooms, the latter being 63% as many. Yet based on the above posts, the annual turnover is approx. 70 to 19 or 27% as many 2 bedrooms. Quite a disparity between those two sets of numbers. Is it because the internal list is more of a factor for 2-bedrooms?

Old 05-18-2023, 07:28 AM

154 posts, read 287,337 times
I suspect a lot of one-bedroom folks get married and have kids and then take half of the available 2-bedrooms. Just a theory!

Old 05-18-2023, 08:12 AM

154 posts, read 287,337 times
What will really blow my whole timeline to smithereens is if mkny14 continues to NOT be offered an apartment. Like what if you need to not only get close to number 1 on the list but then ALSO wait years on end in that position? Anyway here's hoping that doesn't happen. I'd really like to be in Penn South around the ten-year mark of being on this list

Old 05-18-2023, 11:33 PM

59 posts, read 56,692 times
Quote:
I suspect a lot of one-bedroom folks get married and have kids and then take half of the available 2-bedrooms. Just a theory!
Interesting you should say that because that's exactly what happened to the only couple I know who live in Penn South. They are the daughter and son-in-law of friends of ours and were young marrieds who got a one-bedroom. They had a child, a boy, the first year they were there. Instead of having to wait 3 years to get on the internal list for a 2-bedroom, they only had to finish out the year to get on the list. Within a year from that point they got their 2-bedroom! Now they are having a second child and they know it will be a girl. They inquired about a 3-bedroom and were told the wait would probably be 4-5 years.

Old 05-19-2023, 04:45 PM

18 posts, read 21,625 times
Penn South Federal Credit Union, Homeownership Lending, and ABE Federal Credit Union, which is the best to borrow a loan to buy an apartment?

Interest Rates: Look for a lender that offers competitive interest rates. A lower rate can save you a significant amount of money over the life of the loan.

Fees: Understand all the fees associated with the loan, including origination fees, appraisal fees, and closing costs. Some lenders may offer lower interest rates but charge higher fees.

Customer Service: Check reviews of the lender to see what other customers have to say about their service. Good customer service can make the loan application and servicing process smoother.

Loan Terms: Look at the repayment period (e.g., 15-year, 30-year), whether the interest rate is fixed or adjustable, and if the loan has any features like a pre-payment penalty.

I want to pay it off within 3 years.

Financial Stability: Choose a lender with a strong financial background and a good reputation in the industry.

Last edited by King'sReturn; 05-19-2023 at 05:09 PM..

Old 05-20-2023, 09:07 AM

19 posts, read 23,285 times
Quote:
Hi all,
I thought I'd share a little factoid for the other 2-bedroom obsessives out there. I've been keeping tabs on my number and its movement for many years so I decided to try to use past list movement to predict future movement. Using my records and a calculator, I've figured out that on average (since 2016--before that there was an enormous jump because they changed the whole tracking system) I have found my number has moved 18-19 spots per year.

This movement information, combined with our new knowledge from mkny14 that we need to get quite close to number 1 on the list to be offered a 2-bedroom, could help you calculate the approximate year you might move in. Now, could there be all kinds of mitigating factors such as internal list candidates, pandemics, and more? Absolutely yes. But I'm choosing optimism and hoping this 18-19 spots per year thing might hold, and that mkny14 might get their long-awaited apartment offer any week now.

Happy waiting, all!
Haven't heard anything yet. But...I was thinking...I was offered an apartment last year which I turned down. So, that means the 2 people on the external list that are ahead of me also had to have turned it down. So...if they turn this one down, they're off the list.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:10 AM

23 posts, read 23,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkny14 View Post
Haven't heard anything yet. But...I was thinking...I was offered an apartment last year which I turned down. So, that means the 2 people on the external list that are ahead of me also had to have turned it down. So...if they turn this one down, they're off the list.

I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for being so wonderfully generous to share the process with us! I am curious what number you were when you were first offered an apartment last year?

Old 05-23-2023, 12:09 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkny14 View Post

I'll keep you posted.
Not sure here but those two households might have taken an option to go on ’hold’ as a way to turn it down. If that is allowed and is so then they are only temporary off of the list.

Old 05-29-2023, 12:49 PM

20 posts, read 17,789 times
Default 2019 1-br. waiting list insight?

Hi everybody! So grateful this space exists, we have been obsessively reading all the posts and going CRAZY in anticipation!

I was wondering if anyone had any insight to the applicants at the VERY TOP of the 2019 1-bedroom external list [specifically the ones from 1998, 2003 and 2014]? How is it possible that these applicants are still active? I'm only asking because we are really high up on the list and I'm wondering if these people are even actively competing for units like the rest of us? Any info would be sooo appreciated, the anxiety is overwhelming!! Help!! AAHHHH

Last edited by bosco_; 05-29-2023 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery