Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 AM

430 posts, read 506,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottohopeful View Post
Thanks! As long as the wall does not contain any piping, it should be approved?

Also does noise travel through the walls easily? If a resident were to have a small dinner party, is that something all neighbors would hear?
- No. still subject to approval. from what i've been told, plans have been rejected for numerous reasons. think of it as, any plans involving piping is an automatic no.

-noise? depends your apartment and neighbors. i have no next door neighbor at the moment, so i dont know if my kids sounds bother them. i can hear the chairs being moved across the apartment in the apartment above me. i assume my neighbor downstairs can hear us when we move our dining room chairs. you definitely can hear loud noises/voices from apartments if you're in the common hallways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 09:42 AM

4,777 posts, read 6,584,266 times
Is there any house rule that 80% or some other amount of the floors need to be carpeted?

Old 06-30-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Is there any house rule that 80% or some other amount of the floors need to be carpeted?
There isn't. one of the first things i've checked in the occupancy agreement.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:57 AM

9 posts, read 11,447 times
Default Noise concerns--ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottohopeful View Post
Thanks! As long as the wall does not contain any piping, it should be approved?

Also does noise travel through the walls easily? If a resident were to have a small dinner party, is that something all neighbors would hear?

NOISE from any direction could be troublesome. I currently live in an apartment with ten units on a floor, with my apt next to the elevator. There are a few gigglers and party-folks on the floor, and when they're in a group, I just have to wait until the elevator comes and goes. I installed a french door as a buffer in my foyer. It helps a lot. But there's nothing to be done with my guitar-playing neighbor below--well, except ask that he not practice with his AMPLIFIER (yes, an amplifier) on. And recently, during the isolation, neighbors have taken to using the roof for exercise and to run their dogs. Apartment sounds like a horse trail at times.

All this to say: my first inspection for any next apartment is definitely going to be HOW TO INSTALL SOME SOUND-PROOFING to walls. Carpets are a given, for comfort and aesthetics.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:03 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,687,343 times
Do the hallways in Penn South have windows? I hate windowless hallways lol.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Do the hallways in Penn South have windows? I hate windowless hallways lol.
No windows in the common hallways.
time to rip up your waiting number and application. lol

Old 06-30-2020, 09:05 PM

26 posts, read 45,250 times
How much should be saved for down payment of a studio? Have a fluctuate income with Union job and good credit?

Old 06-30-2020, 09:43 PM

18 posts, read 25,122 times
I had the same question - this helpful thank you! A follow up question - can we also finance the 25%? what if I don't have enough funding to pay the 25%

Old 06-30-2020, 09:53 PM

18 posts, read 25,122 times
hi all, I am new to this. I am on the waiting list for 2019. 1- My first question is when people will start moving? (I saw some ppl on the list from 1982 ) 2- is there a way to finance the 25% if we got the 75% covered via loan?

Old 07-01-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwibaeltom View Post
hi all, I am new to this. I am on the waiting list for 2019. 1- My first question is when people will start moving? (I saw some ppl on the list from 1982 ) 2- is there a way to finance the 25% if we got the 75% covered via loan?
1. People are already being called. We know people on the 2014 list have moved in (i was on 2014 for a 2BR and got in this year). No one knows why people from the 80s and 90s are on the list besides they decided to be put their applications on hold.

2. The financing is totally between you and your finance institution. Penn South leaves it up to you to figure it out how to pay for the apartment. As they said, they will work with any "legal financial institution".
If you know you can't come up with 25% down payment in the near future, then you should look at putting your application on hold while so you can save money for the down payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery