Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2020, 07:35 AM

67 posts, read 94,658 times

Advertisements

There are still 17 active studio applicants from 1998...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 07:45 AM

430 posts, read 506,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottohopeful View Post
I remember someone saying they update the list every quarter so I don't think we will be getting an update until September. I did return to my original spot because it looks like the last person that put their application on hold has taken it off hold.

Hopefully we see some movement in the beginning of September.
They're suppose to update the waiting list every quarter but they don't in actuality it's irregular. essentially whenever they get a chance. i think like 2017 or 2018 they did it once that year.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:14 AM

Wow...that is very irregular. The uncertainty is driving me crazy!

Old 08-10-2020, 10:09 AM

430 posts, read 506,874 times
Quote:
It was fool’s gold for anyone tell 2019ers to expect to be called within the first year.
My advice is check the waiting list once a month. Keep your contact info up to date with the office. Live your life and do your financial planning. And post any questions here.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:09 AM

5,692 posts, read 2,620,990 times
Quote:
Best just assume it will be about a 3-4 year wait. If you get called sooner count yourself lucky. It's like a long con. You have a goal insight but you have to wait.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:17 PM

4,777 posts, read 6,584,266 times
Quote:
While you are waiting, if you like, you can delve into the 2014 Penn South lottery in great detail, getting some tips in the process. (Several of the co-operators who post here won their apartments in that lottery.) This is the master mega-list of housing lotteries, but the first 110 pages or more are devoted exclusively to Penn South.

You'll see that some people were called to view apartments with log numbers of 150 or higher! The big unknown, to me, is that how so many people ahead of you will either pass up apartments, not be reachable, not be thrown off the list, and not be on hold. But large numbers of people seem to be "skipped," for whatever reason.

Have fun!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...sions-1-a.html

Last edited by macnyc2003; 08-10-2020 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-10-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
While you are waiting, if you like, you can delve into the 2014 Penn South lottery in great detail, getting some tips in the process. (Several of the co-operators who post here won their apartments in that lottery.) This is the master mega-list of housing lotteries, but the first 110 pages or more are devoted exclusively to Penn South.

You'll see that some people were called to view apartments with log numbers of 150 or higher! The big unknown, to me, is that how so many people ahead of you will either pass up apartments, not be reachable, not be thrown off the list, and not be on hold. But large numbers of people seem to be "skipped," for whatever reason.

Have fun!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...sions-1-a.html
I was just on that thread today I also do not understand how there are still active people on the list from 1998. Maybe they are waiting for studios with balconies, but that seems like a long shot. A 20+ year wait seems excessive.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:21 PM

4,777 posts, read 6,584,266 times
I know! It's crazy! Other people have suggested that the rules could have been different long ago. For instance, maybe back then you were able to reject a large number of apartments and still stay on the list? Or putting an application on hold maybe lasted longer than five years, the limit now. But the people on the list from way back are active, not on hold. If an applicant cannot be reached after multiple attempts, why can't that person be removed from the list?

I remember last year there was someone who posted here who said she had finally been called for a two-bedroom after spending more than 20 years on the list. I don't know how that could happen, when people who got on the 2014 list were getting called.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:44 PM

That's the most logical explanation. I would be grateful for any unit that becomes available, I don't understand why someone would reject that many.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:48 PM

I moved 1 spot down again! Now I am down from where I originally started
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery