Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2020, 04:25 PM

9 posts, read 11,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Don't call it obsessing, call it "visualizing". This is what I did and now I am typing this from my PS apartment:
I printed out all the studio floor plans, including the balcony apartments. Then I picked the floor plan that I wanted the most. Then I wrote on it: This is my Penn South apartment in 2017. Crossed out 2017 and put 2018. Crossed out 2018 and put 2019. I took brightly colored index cards and made little scale furniture and rearranged it in the space in different ways so I could be sure it would fit (it does). I got the floor plan that I wanted because I looked at it every day and put that furniture in there like it was already mine. It was also kind of fun.

I really feel so lucky and grateful to be here! Good luck to all of you!

I applaud your visionaire methods!
It obviously worked, and karma has rewarded you.
Enjoy your sanctuary, and THANK YOU for instilling the hope.
Stay healthy and happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 04:35 PM

4,799 posts, read 6,638,223 times
Thanks for all this great info, hkcg! I am wondering, did you do any renovations to your apartment's kitchen and bathroom? Or the flooring?

Old 06-04-2020, 04:38 PM

7 posts, read 6,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
My information is the same as yours. It’s not being updated. If you were not contacted by email or regular mail for a particular lottery, just assume you were not selected.

thanks

Old 06-04-2020, 04:53 PM

5,765 posts, read 2,666,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottohopeful View Post
I have been looking I'm am going to base all my furnishing off the smallest studio just so I can set realistic expectations
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJNYC View Post
Hah! Looked at the floor plans and started planning what was going to go where--then realized that MAYBE I was obsessing just a bit prematurely.
This winter I was home for a few weeks with plenty of time. I planned my whole studio based upon a video tour from a studio taken a few years back. I decided what I'm keeping from my current apartment and then when to several sites and picked out some new furniture . So I'm all set to move in, just have to be called

Quote:
My original number for 2104 was in the mid 500s, and I was in the 140s when I was first called to look at apartments, but that was when they allowed you to select "balcony" or "no preference". So that means that the list moved 80 places per year as an average. I kept track of the list with the dates and how many spots I moved up, so if I still have it and can find it, I'll look at it more closely for any other insights I can give.

So if I was at the end of the 2014 no preference list, and they have exhausted that list, then the first people on the 2019 list should be called soon. Now, having said that, I don't know how many people on the 2014 balcony list are still waiting. And I don't know how many of the 40 apartments are studios. But I doubt it will be more than 5 years. Keep in mind that there are several reasons that people don't qualify for the apartments or they no longer want one, but that means that PS just keeps going down the list.
Thank you for that! I'm happy to be on the list, its just a little discouraging when your number is higher than the total number of studios in the whole complex. But hearing your story and seeing your number is hopeful

Old 06-04-2020, 07:15 PM

67 posts, read 106,496 times
I noticed that I've already moved 2 positions on the studio since the it went up. One looked like they transferred to "Hold" status while there seems to be a 1998 number gone. Should I start to panic about getting ready? Haha

Old 06-04-2020, 08:15 PM

14 posts, read 18,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
I actually sent an email inquiring about putting my application on hold today and about an hour later received an email back letting me know my application was officially put on hold! You no longer have to write them a letter (though you still can if you want, it’s one of two ways they give you an option of contacting them).

Easy, painless process!
Thank you, Trisky!

Old 06-05-2020, 09:42 AM

233 posts, read 404,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJNYC View Post
I applaud your visionaire methods!
It obviously worked, and karma has rewarded you.
Enjoy your sanctuary, and THANK YOU for instilling the hope.
Stay healthy and happy.
Thank you! I know how exciting it is to win the PS lottery, but I also know how it feels to not know when you're going to get notified to view apartments.

Another thing I can add is this: We all get endless spam/robo calls on our phones. Put PS's main number on your phone as Penn South so you don't ignore it when they call. After you view apartments they will call you if they are ready to offer you one. Now things may have changed and they are doing everything by email, but I got that call totally out of the blue 3 months after looking at the apartments.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Thanks for all this great info, hkcg! I am wondering, did you do any renovations to your apartment's kitchen and bathroom? Or the flooring?
Hi macnyc2003,

No, I haven't done any renovations. I plan to move to a 1 bedroom, so I don't want to change anything. If I were to stay, the only thing I would change is the kitchen cabinets. They are brown with silver knobs, but the wood is solid and everything clicks in place well.

I really like the bathroom tile. It's a black/gray/ white color scheme, and the bathroom itself is pristine when you move in - they even put one of those hotel toilet seat covers on the toilet. The person who lived here before me put in lighting fixtures that I really like, so that was nice too.

I know that in some of the apartments that I saw the floor covering was missing in the kitchen and closets, so you can pick out what you like. My kitchen already had the kitchen floor covering, so I have left it.

Incog posted some pictures of renovations in an earlier thread, so you can see the difference.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:01 AM

5,765 posts, read 2,666,329 times
Quote:
Hi macnyc2003,

No, I haven't done any renovations. I plan to move to a 1 bedroom, so I don't want to change anything. If I were to stay, the only thing I would change is the kitchen cabinets. They are brown with silver knobs, but the wood is solid and everything clicks in place well.
Wouldn't that be funny, if when you move to a one-bedroom your studio ends up going to somebody on this forum.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Wouldn't that be funny, if when you move to a one-bedroom your studio ends up going to somebody on this forum.
I hope so! It's a wonderful apartment, and one of the biggest studios with the exception of the balcony studios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery