Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2020, 03:44 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,690,179 times

Advertisements

I mean, in theory maybe it could be true? Maybe their number is in the single digits?

Or do you think even a single-digit log winner won't be moving in by the end of 2021?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 08:33 AM

430 posts, read 508,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I mean, in theory maybe it could be true? Maybe their number is in the single digits?

Or do you think even a single-digit log winner won't be moving in by the end of 2021?
I was being flippant. But literally no one can answer that question in a coronavirus world.
maybe there's large exodus of penn south residents; maybe people that live in studios can't afford to move up to 1BR thus affecting the movement of the studio list. there's alot of variables that we do not know yet.

But in theory, yes.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:38 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,752,644 times
"for what?"

To take one of those empty units, of course.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:26 PM

4,783 posts, read 6,601,987 times
I agree with dreamernyc that it's impossible to predict what's going to happen, considering all the variables that are unknowable. Plus, the situation is still unfolding. We're not out of the woods yet.

My feeling is that the various lists will move pretty fast, as many prospective Penn South owners who have lost their jobs or incurred investment losses won't be able to come up with the down payment or the financing. Also, maybe some will decline apartments after reevaluating their desire to live in Manhattan and are opting for suburbs with open spaces. Plus, even faraway suburbs are appealing to those people who successfully made the transition to working from home.

On the other hand, maybe current residents of Penn South who would like to move out of Manhattan can no longer afford to do that.

Bottom line: We are facing lots of changes in how we are living, but no one can predict if these will be lasting or not. After 9/11, people didn't think NYC real estate would ever recover.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,413 times
Smile Requirements

Is anyone able to break down all of the factors that are considered in the application process, once you are off the waitlist and offered/commit to an apartment? And how far back are they likely to require info from? Just thinking in order to keep track of documentation in preparation since it's likely years down the line. I know generally - finances, proof of residency, home visit, etc. Do they look at rent payment history? Or other documentation from rental history?

Old 05-27-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCFish7 View Post
Is anyone able to break down all of the factors that are considered in the application process, once you are off the waitlist and offered/commit to an apartment? And how far back are they likely to require info from? Just thinking in order to keep track of documentation in preparation since it's likely years down the line. I know generally - finances, proof of residency, home visit, etc. Do they look at rent payment history? Or other documentation from rental history?
last 2 years of taxes.
P/L statement if you are self-employed
they asked for current rent i'm paying on one of the forms you fill out along with landlord's contact information which you put on the "consent to background check" form. They did call my landlord for basic info, FYI.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:31 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,690,179 times
Thanks for the info!

All we can do is wait. This is an unprecedented situation. I have a feeling the 2014 list went a lot faster... though I wonder if they will be lowering the buy-in price accordingly.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Thanks for the info!

All we can do is wait. This is an unprecedented situation. I have a feeling the 2014 list went a lot faster... though I wonder if they will be lowering the buy-in price accordingly.
my prediction is no.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:33 PM

4,783 posts, read 6,601,987 times
I don't know what the prices are based on, so I don't know if they will be lowered or not. If enough people can't afford to buy the apartments, PS will just do a new lottery.

I'm wondering what happens with all the empty apartments that can't be filled because of COVID-19. I imagine no one is paying monthly maintenance on those units. Might the co-op have trouble paying its bills? I'm betting maintenance will be going up.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:37 PM

67 posts, read 94,732 times
Is Penn South pet friendly as long as the pet is not illegal in NYC, and it's a manageable number? I know cats and dogs (with limitations) are permitted, but what about other pets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery