Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 07:19 AM

453 posts, read 499,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku23 View Post
Nah I gotta have in unit washer and dryer once u have it u can't go back...and congrats
Haha, well, tbh NYC is the only place that I've lived (and I've lived in a few big international cities) where a washer doesn't come as standard everywhere! It was a bit of a shock to the system tbh. But I've adjusted for now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 01:29 PM

603 posts, read 601,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Thank you! We really like it so far. Our place is spacious, amazing Manhattan views and the doormen run a tight ship (regularly stolen packages was a big negative at my last place, so this is a big plus point for me), rent is way cheaper for a 2-bed than other 130% buildings - $2700 compares to $3,350ish at SVEN and BC, and Hunter Point area is just beautiful (not stuck on that horrible junction like SVEN).

The only negatives so far are the lack of a W/D (but the laundry room is always wide open, so...eh, I can deal), and I don't love the galley kitchen. Even so, a big improvement compared to our last place in a lot of ways.

Amenities are $50ppm for both 5241 and 5203 (you can access both), and I will opt in (for the gym), but my other half won't. I can still take 2 guests into the lounges etc (not the gym) with one membership so that will be fine for us!
Hey! I didnt know you were up for these apartments, I was following your story on the SVEN building. This is GREAT! Super happy for you guys! I really like these buildings, right by the huge park and river. I think way better than SVEN. Congratulations!!!! It HAPPENED!!! Enjoy it!!!

Old 09-20-2022, 09:14 PM

93 posts, read 75,909 times
Quote:
We were 15k, got contacted a few months ago and moved in last week!
Congrats on that, especially after the hassle Sven gave you!
About how much time passed from submitting your documents until you got to tour?

Old 09-21-2022, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime99 View Post
Hey! I didnt know you were up for these apartments, I was following your story on the SVEN building. This is GREAT! Super happy for you guys! I really like these buildings, right by the huge park and river. I think way better than SVEN. Congratulations!!!! It HAPPENED!!! Enjoy it!!!
Thaaaaaanks!

Funnily enough, I wasn't - my husband applied well over a year ago and we had completely forgotten about it! After the SVEN debacle, I was totally done with it all, tbh. So it was a nice surprise to get the contact out of the blue, and yes - beautiful area and a great location in the (kind of?) middle point between Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan if that makes sense. It def has some benefits over SVEN for sure, as gorgeous as that building is.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentoodamnhigh View Post
Congrats on that, especially after the hassle Sven gave you!
About how much time passed from submitting your documents until you got to tour?
Thanks! Yes, I am still bitter about the SVEN thing (especially because this proves we were, indeed, qualified - well, I KNEW we were, but still!). I believe we were first contacted in mid June, and we got approved on August 1st. I will say we weren't in any horrendous rush so we probably took some time with some of the stuff (as I mentioned above, I was so through with the whole process after the SVEN abomination).

We toured on August 8th (again, we probably dithered a few days in arranging), and then a second time (we asked if anything else was open, and they had one other apartment) around 7-10 days later. Then they had us sign a Sep 1st lease, but with 2 free months thankfully. So actually quite quick really, now I think about it! 10 weeks from first contact to lease start date.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:53 AM

800 posts, read 731,675 times
Quote:
Thanks! Yes, I am still bitter about the SVEN thing (especially because this proves we were, indeed, qualified - well, I KNEW we were, but still!). I believe we were first contacted in mid June, and we got approved on August 1st. I will say we weren't in any horrendous rush so we probably took some time with some of the stuff (as I mentioned above, I was so through with the whole process after the SVEN abomination).

We toured on August 8th (again, we probably dithered a few days in arranging), and then a second time (we asked if anything else was open, and they had one other apartment) around 7-10 days later. Then they had us sign a Sep 1st lease, but with 2 free months thankfully. So actually quite quick really, now I think about it! 10 weeks from first contact to lease start date.
So happy for you! It’s a beautiful building! Apologies if you already mentioned this but do you have preferences? Wondering if I have a chance at 130 or even 165 AMI. I don’t have CB

Old 09-21-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost20 View Post
So happy for you! It’s a beautiful building! Apologies if you already mentioned this but do you have preferences? Wondering if I have a chance at 130 or even 165 AMI. I don’t have CB
Thanks!!! No preferences and log number of 15k. What size apartment are you going for? TBH I cannot really understand their process here! I read through the thread, but it is one that doesn't seem to move through the numbers in a logical order. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Old 09-21-2022, 07:55 AM

800 posts, read 731,675 times
Thank you!! Just a 1 bedroom with a log number of 21k hahaha. I mean SVEN contacted me to submit documents but I would love a backup in case something doesn’t work out. 165 AMI with this building gives me enough of a buffer.

You were 15k and Renttoodamnhigh was 18k so im praying there’s a chance haha

My log for 5203 is 28k SMH

Old 09-21-2022, 10:05 PM

394 posts, read 571,532 times
Quote:
Thanks!!! No preferences and log number of 15k. What size apartment are you going for? TBH I cannot really understand their process here! I read through the thread, but it is one that doesn't seem to move through the numbers in a logical order. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Wow congrats. I’ve finally come to terms to accept that the “lottery” process favors individuals who have higher incomes and single ppl with lower incomes in lower AMI’s don’t really stand a chance. I think it’s time I consider leaving nyc lol. As I’ve said in this thread countless times I don’t get the logic of selection. I have a log under 300 and don’t have any preferences. I fall in the 50 Ami so basically I don’t make enough to stand a chance lol. My application has been pending since December 2021. If no units are available in my Ami they should just inform us. This whole process is so depressing and stressful.

Old 09-22-2022, 07:15 PM

93 posts, read 75,909 times
Quote:

Thanks for the good info, Brit! I qualify for a Studio and 1BR but hoping for the 1BR.

Last edited by rentoodamnhigh; 09-22-2022 at 07:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery