Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 12:41 PM

134 posts, read 196,741 times

Advertisements

That will be hard if gifts are not allowed. Or it has to be in your account for a certain period. The requirements make no sense sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 02:54 PM

6,693 posts, read 6,048,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Do wonder how a family earning, e.g., $60K is supposed to have saved $20K.

Note that if you decide to go forward, they'll want the down payment very quickly.
They can take a housing loan. No?

Old 04-13-2021, 03:35 PM

Usually you are required to show you have the deposit in an account either your own or in the person who is gifting it to you. Definitely a question for the info session

Old 04-13-2021, 03:43 PM

6,693 posts, read 6,048,873 times
In any case, they are beautiful apartments. I don't qualify but good luck to all who do!

Old 04-13-2021, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,682 times
"Anyone know if there are usually resale restrictions on these?"

Is there other rules that I can find?

Also may i know where you got the information "Info session on April 27"?

I have applied for it but there is no update at all

Old 04-14-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelhoward View Post
"Anyone know if there are usually resale restrictions on these?"

Is there other rules that I can find?

Also may i know where you got the information "Info session on April 27"?

I have applied for it but there is no update at all
The information on the info session is on the Housing connect ad under "Details". The link for the meeting and the meeting password are there

Old 04-14-2021, 11:54 AM

233 posts, read 308,854 times
Not crazy about the midtown location but $718 in mortgage a month is a steal. They're a great starter condos. Unfortunately, we don't qualify unless I pop out several more children really quickly. lol

I've done two information sessions for affordable housing co-ops through the housing lottery and they do give out a lot of information about every step of the process and they're free. It's definitely worth attending. From what I can see, the process for both of the ones I attended were pretty much the same.

There are restriction on the resale price and the income of the next buyer to keep it affordable, but don't quote me on that.

As far as down payment, lots of people take money out of an 401k or IRA to cover their down payment. New York City and state also has something called down payment assistance program where they give sometimes up to $40k. It's a process, so if you're thinking about applying start now. I believe the NYC one is a grant you don't have to pay back. They help you clean up your credit, potentially get a loan, and give you free education in preparation for home ownership.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/servic...e-program.page

https://hcr.ny.gov/sonyma?utm_source...gaAm3fEALw_wcB

Best of luck to all of you.

Last edited by Vanta B; 04-14-2021 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-14-2021, 12:11 PM

233 posts, read 308,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starapplez View Post
That will be hard if gifts are not allowed. Or it has to be in your account for a certain period. The requirements make no sense sometimes.
In one information session I attended it was suggested if you're getting a gift, to let it sit in your account for several months instead of trying to deposit the gift once your lottery number is called. The issue with that is, I don't know too many people who can ask someone to let them hold $20k in their account for a home they may or may not even be chosen for for an unknown amount of time. Sometimes these lotteries can take months or a year. Chances are if you can do that, your options as far as home ownership are already too wide for these lotteries.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:15 PM

172 posts, read 246,214 times
What about cash gifts? Would that be allowed in any way?

Old 04-14-2021, 12:17 PM

172 posts, read 246,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanta B View Post
Not crazy about the midtown location but $718 in rent a month is a steal. They're a great starter condos. Unfortunately, we don't qualify unless I pop out several more children really quickly. lol

I've done two information sessions for affordable housing co-ops through the housing lottery and they do give out a lot of information about every step of the process and they're free. It's definitely worth attending. From what I can see, the process for both of the ones I attended were pretty much the same.

There are restriction on the resale price and the income of the next buyer to keep it affordable, but don't quote me on that.

As far as down payment, lots of people take money out of an 401k or IRA to cover their down payment. New York City and state also has something called down payment assistance program where they give sometimes up to $40k. It's a process, so if you're thinking about applying start now. I believe the NYC one is a grant you don't have to pay back. They help you clean up your credit, potentially get a loan, and give you free education in preparation for home ownership.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/servic...e-program.page

https://hcr.ny.gov/sonyma?utm_source...gaAm3fEALw_wcB

Best of luck to all of you.
Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery