Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2022, 09:46 AM

151 posts, read 196,212 times

Advertisements

Thanks for sharing!! I think you should go see and feel if it’s worth it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 08:00 AM

65 posts, read 56,229 times
I viewed the building and apartment yesterday. The building is pretty good, although it still not completely ready yet. The shared laundry room is nice, the gym is completely empty and it’s pretty small although residents can use the larger gym in building B when it’s ready. I was told that 3 units have already moved in.
The apartment is nice as well, has a view of the Manhattan skyline in the distance. The appliances, bathroom are very nice. My approved unit is a 3 bedroom, 2 bedrooms are kinda small with closets. The “master” bedroom is slightly larger with a walk-in closet and bathroom. The rooms have no ceiling lights so you would need floor lamps. The window shade is white which lets plenty of sunlight in so you would need to install curtains if that’s something you prefer.

I’m leaning towards turning it down unless they somehow agree to putting me in the lower AMI bracket and/or 2 bedroom unit. Yes, the newer apartments are getting smaller and smaller but I don’t feel like I need to compromise going from a larger apartment with low rent to a smaller apartment with higher rent.

Overall, it would be a great place to live if it makes sense space-wise and financially.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:44 PM

7 posts, read 9,519 times
Could you tell me how much square feet is the 3 bedroom?

Old 06-20-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalari View Post
Could you tell me how much square feet is the 3 bedroom?

1000 sq feet.

Old 06-21-2022, 06:57 AM

182 posts, read 223,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIDP View Post
I viewed the building and apartment yesterday. The building is pretty good, although it still not completely ready yet. The shared laundry room is nice, the gym is completely empty and it’s pretty small although residents can use the larger gym in building B when it’s ready. I was told that 3 units have already moved in.
The apartment is nice as well, has a view of the Manhattan skyline in the distance. The appliances, bathroom are very nice. My approved unit is a 3 bedroom, 2 bedrooms are kinda small with closets. The “master” bedroom is slightly larger with a walk-in closet and bathroom. The rooms have no ceiling lights so you would need floor lamps. The window shade is white which lets plenty of sunlight in so you would need to install curtains if that’s something you prefer.

I’m leaning towards turning it down unless they somehow agree to putting me in the lower AMI bracket and/or 2 bedroom unit. Yes, the newer apartments are getting smaller and smaller but I don’t feel like I need to compromise going from a larger apartment with low rent to a smaller apartment with higher rent.

Overall, it would be a great place to live if it makes sense space-wise and financially.
What did you end up deciding to do? Did you find out if they could change your AMI?

The Apartment sounds amazing. I hope I hear soon even though mine wont be the same since my AMI doesn't rate a walk in closet unit I'm excited

Old 06-21-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymom81 View Post
What did you end up deciding to do? Did you find out if they could change your AMI?

The Apartment sounds amazing. I hope I hear soon even though mine wont be the same since my AMI doesn't rate a walk in closet unit I'm excited
I turned it down and no, they wouldn’t change the AMI. I’m pretty sure my households gross income is not as much as they stated it is. Even the household income shown on the Housing Connect website doesn’t match what they determined my income to be.

It is a pretty good apartment, I just couldn’t justify it economically.

Last edited by JIDP; 06-21-2022 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: Answering question

Old 06-24-2022, 07:25 AM

182 posts, read 223,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIDP View Post
I turned it down and no, they wouldn’t change the AMI. I’m pretty sure my households gross income is not as much as they stated it is. Even the household income shown on the Housing Connect website doesn’t match what they determined my income to be.

It is a pretty good apartment, I just couldn’t justify it economically.
That's unfortunate and has to be so incredibly frustrating to go through everything only for it to be a bust. Sorry that happened!

Im struggling in this wait currently. no updates nothing just a daily stalking of my email.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 9,519 times
I am in the same boat, waiting to hear ...i first submitted the documents on May 13, then submitted additional documents twice, last time a week ago they sent out some documents to be electronically signed. How do you know if its reviewed by supervisor? Do the send out an email? Do you get updates on what stage your application is at?

Old 06-24-2022, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 6,598 times
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this thread for quite a while now, my general timeline has been first contact mid march, and i should be getting the keys today (phipps is a lot less responsive than i'd like lol.)

I'm just one person, and changed jobs with a significant income boost during the process, so i was assigned a 1bed facing the parking garage in apex one. It's certainly not cheap, but I can afford it, so what the hell, right?

they were willing to try and renegotiate the actual unit i was assigned (my view is from high, but looks right out onto the parking garage roof) but eventually i decided due to personal reasons that getting the move started was more important.

The unit itself is 520 square feet, and according to Phipps, the largest 1 bedroom unit type.

the kitchenette area has no built in island, and is just an open L shape adjacent to the living room. the kitchen area is gorgeous, and i'll be getting some sort of island/table/whatever for it eventually.
The apartments are generously wired for both spectrum and Fios (not looking forward to getting that set up but eh) with ports in both the living room and bedroom, something i've never seen before. (that many ports, not being wired for both.)

Gym remains unfinished, according to the super they ordered pelotons, but are backordered to hell and back. Nice big bike room, good laundry room. Virtual doorman system seems nice, I'd prefer a real doorman. just outside the basement is a lovely little park with an outdoor gym and pingpong table, just a really cool place i'm looking forward to spending time in.

I've lived my entire life about 10 blocks from here so I'm familiar with the neighborhood, it's far from cool, but it's at a nexus of good bus lines to get all over queens and into the city. The pool at the nextdoor apartment complex seems to be abandoned, but the bus across the highway will take you to a public pool in flushing very quickly.

If anyone has any questions i'm happy to answer, thanks for everyone asking/answering while i lurked, it helped a ton.

Oh, and i was log 8xxx with CB preference.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:41 PM

957 posts, read 934,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smg20333 View Post
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this thread for quite a while now, my general timeline has been first contact mid march, and i should be getting the keys today (phipps is a lot less responsive than i'd like lol.)

I'm just one person, and changed jobs with a significant income boost during the process, so i was assigned a 1bed facing the parking garage in apex one. It's certainly not cheap, but I can afford it, so what the hell, right?

they were willing to try and renegotiate the actual unit i was assigned (my view is from high, but looks right out onto the parking garage roof) but eventually i decided due to personal reasons that getting the move started was more important.

The unit itself is 520 square feet, and according to Phipps, the largest 1 bedroom unit type.

the kitchenette area has no built in island, and is just an open L shape adjacent to the living room. the kitchen area is gorgeous, and i'll be getting some sort of island/table/whatever for it eventually.
The apartments are generously wired for both spectrum and Fios (not looking forward to getting that set up but eh) with ports in both the living room and bedroom, something i've never seen before. (that many ports, not being wired for both.)

Gym remains unfinished, according to the super they ordered pelotons, but are backordered to hell and back. Nice big bike room, good laundry room. Virtual doorman system seems nice, I'd prefer a real doorman. just outside the basement is a lovely little park with an outdoor gym and pingpong table, just a really cool place i'm looking forward to spending time in.

I've lived my entire life about 10 blocks from here so I'm familiar with the neighborhood, it's far from cool, but it's at a nexus of good bus lines to get all over queens and into the city. The pool at the nextdoor apartment complex seems to be abandoned, but the bus across the highway will take you to a public pool in flushing very quickly.

If anyone has any questions i'm happy to answer, thanks for everyone asking/answering while i lurked, it helped a ton.

Oh, and i was log 8xxx with CB preference.
Do you have a walk in closet ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery