Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 07:14 AM

25 posts, read 28,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Sure. I think you will be contacted. You are very well positioned with the different preferences. The lottery is for about 30 units total, more would be better. Even with preferences a low# beats a higher one if they have the same preferences with same AMI and household size requirements. But we don’t know how many log#s with preferences are lower than yours.

With this lottery, it does not seem possible to qualify for all units because some are two bedrooms requiring a two person household minimum; also, there are AMI % brackets of 70% and 80% which have some overlap, and 130% which does not.

Seems like two units will go for mobility preference. One unit will go to vision/hearing preference. So, let’s say you are log# 7000. If there is not a lower log# with a mobility preference, then it seems like you be first in line, or second in line if only a single log# is lower than your #7000. Likely next they fill the estimated one unit with vision/hearing preference.

Keep in mind, even if there a many log# lower than your #7000 that does not mean they will say Yes to a unit. Also, you might only qualify for a studio/one bedroom, while the lower log#s might only want a two bedroom, in that case you are not in direct competition. When a unit is declined I suppose they go to the next lowest log# within the preference group. You just have to wait and see.

The Community Board preference is 50%. So, I suppose the same analysis applies for 15 or so units that remain. How many log#s lower than your 7000 have CB preference is the question.

I don’t know if they combined preferences or if you yourself get a unit they count it has filling three preferences. Refer to the handbook.

Charlton St has similar preferences and seems to be in CB2. Be sure to enter it if you fit the AMI brackets. You will have favorable treatment.

All of the above is my opinion and analysis. I don’t claim to be an authority or correct.
Good luck and good patience.

Omg you are the best. You"re so imformative with alot of knowledge. Very helpful must I say, thank so much for all the information. Do you know if they started calling people yet or when? Also, do they contact people with preferences first?

Good luck to you too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 09:19 PM

2,042 posts, read 1,656,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygirl111 View Post
Omg you are the best. You"re so imformative with alot of knowledge. Very helpful must I say, thank so much for all the information. Do you know if they started calling people yet or when? Also, do they contact people with preferences first?

Good luck to you too
Be sure to enter this lottery that ends on January 4
https://housingconnect.nyc.gov/PublicWeb/details/2447

Enter anything with a community board preference if you are in that community board. Even if it seems not totally the right fit for you. You can always turn it down if you get an offer you don’t like.

I have no way of knowing if they called people yet or when they might, unless I read it here. I suspect they contact people with preferences first ahead of other log#s. Any how, they do it on their schedule, they might be in a hurry or they might be busy with other things.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:11 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,741,767 times
"I suspect they contact people with preferences first ahead of other log#s."

They do.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,369 times
Log 3,### with CB- got contacted today to submit documents!!! This is my first lottery- feel very lucky. Does anyone have advice for submitting documents- I have a few income sources plus was on pandemic unemployment. Has anyone used family contribution for income before?

Old 01-05-2022, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalapt View Post
Log 3,### with CB- got contacted today to submit documents!!! This is my first lottery- feel very lucky. Does anyone have advice for submitting documents- I have a few income sources plus was on pandemic unemployment. Has anyone used family contribution for income before?
Pages 43-53 on income might be useful to you.
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

Old 01-06-2022, 05:59 AM

6 posts, read 6,750 times
My log# is 2,### and I still haven’t been called

Old 01-06-2022, 06:31 AM

25 posts, read 28,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Be sure to enter this lottery that ends on January 4
https://housingconnect.nyc.gov/PublicWeb/details/2447

Enter anything with a community board preference if you are in that community board. Even if it seems not totally the right fit for you. You can always turn it down if you get an offer you don’t like.

I have no way of knowing if they called people yet or when they might, unless I read it here. I suspect they contact people with preferences first ahead of other log#s. Any how, they do it on their schedule, they might be in a hurry or they might be busy with other things.
The building for that lottery is shaped very different lol. I applied anyway cause you never know. May we all win, fingers crossed.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygirl111 View Post
The building for that lottery is shaped very different lol. I applied anyway cause you never know. May we all win, fingers crossed.
It’s good you applied. There is no 70% AMI for Charlton. You likely saw that.

Apply to lotteries where you have a Community Board preference, even if you are less sure you like the building. CB pref. typically amounts to more units in the building than the mobility, and vision/hearing preferences. If you don’t win on those few units on the first preferences you can still win on Community Board where more units are likely distributed.

(Not every lottery has a CB preference. More seem to have the mobility and vision/hearing preferences.)

Here is something to ponder: in April (?) each year the HUD AMI numbers are recalculated. I suppose they will rise but with C19 I am less sure. They did rise last year, high $47K to low $50K for 60% AMI as I recall. New lotteries after that can use the new AMI numbers. I don’t know if buildings use the new numbers for lotteries in progress and/or units not yet filled.

Good luck and good patience.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:18 AM

347 posts, read 457,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveinthecity View Post
My log# is 2,### and I still haven’t been called
Seems like they are still doing the CB preferences keep your fingers crossed that they move fast enough and they will get to you

Old 01-14-2022, 06:42 PM

11 posts, read 19,548 times
I am log 15xxx and i got a request to submit documents, does that means that I got selected??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery