Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2022, 10:14 AM

155 posts, read 169,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marymary1337 View Post
Welp, just had my interview and it looks like I'm going to have to withdraw. Due to some overtime for a specific project at work (that I have a letter from my employer to state was completely temporary and highly unusual), I was put over the threshold for 80% AMI when my pay stubs were calculated. She did want to proceed for a 1 bedroom at 125% AMI, but there is no way in hell that I can afford that in reality. It sucks because I have been at my current job for 3 years and have never had to work overtime and then happened to do 2 weeks of 58 hours and then...poof! lottery contacted and it appears I make much more money than I do.

Good luck to the rest of you though! For the eligibility meeting, I wouldn't worry much at all. It's 99% just confirming what you put in your requested documents e.g. how many checking accounts do you have? how many people are in your household? do you have an IRA or any other investment accounts? etc. It's all very laid back.

Just know basics like start and end dates for jobs and the rest will be easy breezy.

I agree with Lina, you should definitely appeal and speak with HPD. That was a temporary job payment and you should not be rejected out of the 80 range because of that. Especially when you got proof !! Fight for it !! You deserve this apartment. You wanted it badly. Dont give up. You made it pretty far. People dont even get to do the interview part. Dont give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 10:26 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,409,158 times
Quote:
Welp, just had my interview and it looks like I'm going to have to withdraw. Due to some overtime for a specific project at work (that I have a letter from my employer to state was completely temporary and highly unusual), I was put over the threshold for 80% AMI when my pay stubs were calculated. She did want to proceed for a 1 bedroom at 125% AMI, but there is no way in hell that I can afford that in reality. It sucks because I have been at my current job for 3 years and have never had to work overtime and then happened to do 2 weeks of 58 hours and then...poof! lottery contacted and it appears I make much more money than I do.

Good luck to the rest of you though! For the eligibility meeting, I wouldn't worry much at all. It's 99% just confirming what you put in your requested documents e.g. how many checking accounts do you have? how many people are in your household? do you have an IRA or any other investment accounts? etc. It's all very laid back.

Just know basics like start and end dates for jobs and the rest will be easy breezy.
Found the thread on the person who had the bonus might be helpful for your appeal: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...day-bonus.html

Old 05-27-2022, 11:40 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,662,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Found the thread on the person who had the bonus might be helpful for your appeal: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...day-bonus.html
Way to go Gilmoregal!

Old 05-27-2022, 03:10 PM

644 posts, read 737,476 times
I got a bonus beginning of the year too. Would they ask for more than 6 consecutive paystubs? It has been too long for it to be in those 6

Old 05-27-2022, 03:32 PM

155 posts, read 169,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GdoIsh View Post
I got a bonus beginning of the year too. Would they ask for more than 6 consecutive paystubs? It has been too long for it to be in those 6
Only the 6 consecutive paystubs and your 2021 tax return forms completed.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:44 PM

644 posts, read 737,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashanti720 View Post
Only the 6 consecutive paystubs and your 2021 tax return forms completed.
Oh perfect. Thank you!

Old 05-27-2022, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 3,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Since you want the apartment so much, I would not withdraw, you are taking yourself out that way. With the employer letter, they should NOT be counting that extra income as part of your regular expected pay. I would let them reject you at 80% and then appeal. You have a strong case. Quote back to the agent the section from the handbook on non-recurring income, it is NOT supposed to be considered, and tell them based on that they need to recalculate and that you will be contacting HPD.

You can also call HPD directly and explain your situation (how they are trying to reject you at 80% and explain the proof you have that you should qualify). HPD can intervene on your behalf and contact the agency for you and tell them what they have to do, they did this for me when I had an agent not doing their job properly. The agencies sometimes try to jerk you around, don't let them! Good luck!

You're right-- I really shouldn't withdraw now. I guess I didn't realize I had an option to fight for 80& AMI as I wasn't outright rejected but instead offered 125%.

I will contact HPD on Tuesday, thanks so much for the advice!

Old 05-27-2022, 04:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post

Wow, this is super helpful! Thank you so much!

Old 05-27-2022, 06:08 PM

20 posts, read 23,860 times
Quote:
You're right-- I really shouldn't withdraw now. I guess I didn't realize I had an option to fight for 80& AMI as I wasn't outright rejected but instead offered 125%.

I will contact HPD on Tuesday, thanks so much for the advice!
You got this!!!

Old 05-27-2022, 06:11 PM

20 posts, read 23,860 times
They didn't ask me for paystubs for my documents, is this because I work for myself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery