Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 07:36 AM

390 posts, read 350,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2g View Post
I was just reading an article about how Eric Adams was investing in the “working peoples agenda.” So I am hoping that there’s more workers now. I’d like to think NYCHA workers are apart of that budget. I don’t have an issue with help for foreign folks, especially after hearing & seeing all that has been happening to ukraines. The problem is the mayor. There would be more than enough funds to cover both if he didn’t invest so much of it into funding the police.

It definitely is infuriating that there’s clearly so many vacant apartments but not enough workers. I think they probably prioritize current residents rather than empty apartments.

I keep checking my NYCHA status every day. NYCHA keeps sending me mail and the abuser has opened my mail and used that to further the abuse. I reached out to NYCHA and they says there’s no way to not have paper letters and that I should get a PO Box.

It’s very exhausting. I was reading that NYCHA has 6k vacant apartments. Upon checking the amount of certified N1 on their public list, that would be enough to house all them and then more! https://www.nyc.gov/assets/nycha/dow...plications.pdf

They hire lots of folks for caretaker J but I think that’s because it’s a minimum wage position. Unlike having to pay folks to fix up the apartments. Overall, I’m just hoping and praying that they find me an apartment soon. I’m losing my mind in my current environment and my therapist is doing all she can to help.

Oh! Congrats on moving out. Did you move to another affordable housing program?

Sorry for the rant! It just ticks me off so bad!
Technically the city is spending billions to house the ukarians in hotels instead of putting them in shelters which is outrageous considering how most New Yorkers don't even get that luxury... with the rise in crime I'm not surprised he's adding more funding to NYPD its just sad that most don't do their jobs correctly.
It's not just NYCHA taking the hit though, it's other city agencies and I read that certain benefits are going to limited because the influx such as snap if this continues. There's businesses that could use the help in upstate and long island as well.

Caretakers are important, but severely under pay. They clean up the buildings. the move outs, and the apartment again after all work is finished.Trust me when I say there's alot of ppl who don't care about they building and you'll be thankful to have a good caretaker who cleans up garbage, pee and poop.. especially in the staircases. However I'm not sure how they allocate their caretaker x & caretaker g. I know the caretakers gs remove big furniture in move out and the x's do most of the cleaning for the moveout apartments.

However skill trades is a different story. They have to go through the Civil service exam wait for the list to come out, etc. Hopefully they bring out some provisionals since I just seen skilled trades exams for nycha come out this month.

Sorry I couldn't help more though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 09:51 AM

37 posts, read 21,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiddesire120 View Post
Technically the city is spending billions to house the ukarians in hotels instead of putting them in shelters which is outrageous considering how most New Yorkers don't even get that luxury... with the rise in crime I'm not surprised he's adding more funding to NYPD its just sad that most don't do their jobs correctly.
It's not just NYCHA taking the hit though, it's other city agencies and I read that certain benefits are going to limited because the influx such as snap if this continues. There's businesses that could use the help in upstate and long island as well.

Caretakers are important, but severely under pay. They clean up the buildings. the move outs, and the apartment again after all work is finished.Trust me when I say there's alot of ppl who don't care about they building and you'll be thankful to have a good caretaker who cleans up garbage, pee and poop.. especially in the staircases. However I'm not sure how they allocate their caretaker x & caretaker g. I know the caretakers gs remove big furniture in move out and the x's do most of the cleaning for the moveout apartments.

However skill trades is a different story. They have to go through the Civil service exam wait for the list to come out, etc. Hopefully they bring out some provisionals since I just seen skilled trades exams for nycha come out this month.

Sorry I couldn't help more though.
Aren’t these hotels be branded as emergency shelter? This is the same thing that occurs when hotels are made into shelters for DHS. A lot of homeless shelters are hotels. I’m not sure if you ever had to stay overnight at PATH, but when they couldn’t find us a shelter to stay in, they placed us in an hotel for the night. So it’s not uncommon at all.

I’ve also been reading about how they’ve been getting kicked out and/or locked out. They also were staying in tents on Randall island and are finally being placed in more suitable temp shelters. I don’t think it’s a luxury to have to flee from a country where women, men & children are being murdered and victimized everyday.

I agree with the caretaker part. They don’t get paid enough at all. Which is why they keep having to hire folks for that position. The turnover rate is high. They only pay $32k a year. I was going to complete training until I realized that 32k a year is $15.50 an hour in a 40hr workweek. It’s a labor intensive job, to the point that they ask you how fit you are. Ultimately I decided not to do it.

Well if they have a civil exam waitlist out again, I’d like to think that means they are still hiring. Or preparing to do more hiring.

You’ve helped greatly. Thank you!!! Have you been checking your NYCHA application?

Old 03-09-2023, 09:30 AM

Also, apologies. I keep forgetting you’re already moved out of NYCHA. I keep confusing you with the other commenter.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:35 AM

I’ve also checked the waiting list certified.

3 months ago W0 had 200 certified people waiting. Now, there’s 97. So this means the NYCHA has housed 103 W0 certified people. So basically, homeless people with children and with parents that have income get first priority.

3 months ago N1 had a total of 489 certified folks. This month, it’s 472. That’s only 17 people housed. Only 17.

3 months ago N0 had a total of 1286 certified folks. This month, it’s 1283. Only 5 ppl housed.

It definitely looks like you have to be W0 to get actual priority. Because woah. 103 people in 3 months? I would’ve thought N1 would’ve gotten priority. God only knows the violence kids are being exposed to.

Now I’m not entirely sure what happens if that number decreases. My assumption is that NYCHA has housed them. That’s the only thing I can think of.
There could’ve been over 103 ppl housed. As I’ve seen some numbers for borough choice go up. Which would mean that new people have been certified. So it’s possibly over 107 ppl.

So it looks like NYCHA is moving. They just aren’t moving for other priority’s.

Last edited by Rose2g; 03-16-2023 at 06:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery