Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 07:15 AM

214 posts, read 219,700 times

Advertisements

So I know we're all very familiar with HC2 by now... but I have two main issues with how it operates that drive me nuts!

1) I really wish there was a feature to sort the Open Lotteries tab by "Most Recently Posted" instead of just "Days Remaining." Every time I log in, if I see that the number of lotteries has changed, I then need to sort through to try to spot the new lottery since that's what I care most about. Days remaining, not so much. (I guess that would be more relevant for the people who don't check the website often, but I do.) So, it would be nice to have that option.

2) I also wish HC2 would provide a map of ALL of the lottery apartments on one map instead of having to check each individual address/map. For someone like me who does not work remotely and has to commute every day, apartment proximity to my job is a big factor. So, it would just be great to click on one map and see all current opportunities in the same place.

Anyone else have thoughts on this stuff?! Just had to put it out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 07:29 AM

89 posts, read 88,091 times
It would be nice if we had actual updates for pending lotteries we applied to. Everything just says application submitted, even to lotteries I know have already closed. We deserve better updates.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:49 AM

394 posts, read 571,532 times
Better updates on where we stand in the application process. The whole pending application status makes no sense, especially if you can be pending for months on end. We do deserve better updates. Also the city can be glitchy as heck I s annoying at times.

Old 05-12-2022, 07:52 AM

Great point about application status, especially once lotteries are done/filled and you definitely don't have a shot anymore because it's closed. That should not be a hard update to provide!

Old 05-12-2022, 08:09 AM

333 posts, read 256,793 times
Totally agree! I think they should also do something similar to the old site where they at least let you know which log number they've left off at.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:14 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,404,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWorker4 View Post
Great point about application status, especially once lotteries are done/filled and you definitely don't have a shot anymore because it's closed. That should not be a hard update to provide!

I agree with this one! Wish they let us know if they’ve filled all the units

Old 05-12-2022, 12:25 PM

122 posts, read 119,067 times
Great points about updating or removing buildings that have closed. Also, I really wish they had the “back” button set up right. Like if I click on a listing and then hit back, it takes me to page 1 instead of the page I was on. Very annoying.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin2021 View Post
Great points about updating or removing buildings that have closed. Also, I really wish they had the “back” button set up right. Like if I click on a listing and then hit back, it takes me to page 1 instead of the page I was on. Very annoying.
YES, that too. These things would all presumably be quite easy to fix...

Old 05-12-2022, 12:40 PM

30 posts, read 21,303 times
Agree with everyone here. More on the site being transparent, I was thinking of something like informing us on the stages they’re at:

-Started reaching out to preferences (and including as Mevie123 mentioned: the log # they left off which I think even Mitchell Llama does. Even possibly specifying which pref categories)
-all pref apts filled
-general population
-all general apts filled
-waitlist/closed

From what I understand from the handbook is that these buildings have to update HPD periodically, so why not us as well. We’re just asking for more basic transparency.

Old 05-12-2022, 01:16 PM

453 posts, read 499,391 times
I agree with all of this. Just basic transparency.

It would also be helpful if they would have a section with remaining availability numbers which they edit downwards as each lease gets signed. So people can calculate the chances there will be anything left when their own log numbers get reached.

Another thing I just realized (and posted about) is having a big old "withdraw" button on the lottery status page, right around where you'd expect a submit button to be. I am SO terrified of hitting that by mistake. I think it should be buried under several layers of click-throughs at least to avoid accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery