Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2023, 02:37 PM

200 posts, read 220,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Utilities allowance is the approx amount of what you're gonna pay for utilities i.e. electricity bill as you will have to pay it along with your rent to the building management, not directly to Coned.

However, it doesn't mean your building management will bill you exactly $85 every month, it will depend on your usage, it can be less, it can be more. For example, in my case, my utilities allowance was stated $63 at that time when I signed my TIC but in reality, my electricity bills have been mostly less than $63, there were a couple of times only $26!
If I do run heating motors in all rooms, mine jumps 900% for winter months only!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 02:48 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,844,295 times
Whoa!!! How many bedrooms do you have? How much was the utilities allowance put by your building management when you signed your TIC/lease? Jumped up to 900% is crazy, my most expensive electricity bill so far was $78, it was when I turned my heating on non stop 24/7 mostly & did laundry more than usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWhatUsedToBe View Post
If I do run heating motors in all rooms, mine jumps 900% for winter months only!

Old 03-12-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Whoa!!! How many bedrooms do you have? How much was the utilities allowance put by your building management when you signed your TIC/lease? Jumped up to 900% is crazy, my most expensive electricity bill so far was $78, it was when I turned my heating on non stop 24/7 mostly & did laundry more than usual.
mine went from $33/mo average (9 months of the year) to $300/mo (each of 3 winter months)

Old 03-12-2023, 06:18 PM

95 posts, read 110,574 times
Quote:
mine went from $33/mo average (9 months of the year) to $300/mo (each of 3 winter months)
I thought heating was provided? When I signed the TIC, I asked about the $75 utility allowance on my form and they said that it didn't apply to me. When I payed the first month's rent and security deposit, I only payed the rate from the AMI breakdown for my studio. I originally wanted a 1 bedroom, but wasn't given any other options. I also found out there might be line 22/23 floorplans that could possibly be 1 bedrooms too, just don't know if they are available yet for affordable or market. Views there are probably better than the line 28/29 1 bedrooms.

I did some exploring in the building and it seems that there is a senior only section separated from the residence side of North Tower. So from floors 5-11, there's a senior building attached to North Tower and the way to access the residence side is through the 5th floor community room, which my card key doesn't have access to and the basement floor C in separated elevators. The 12th floor terrace is still being worked on and I believe the BBQ grills will be open around April along with rooftop access in South Tower on the 34th flr by April 1. North Tower also will have the garden on the 58th floor, which isn't completed and I think it could be done by April/May.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:53 PM

412 posts, read 595,359 times
Quote:
Utilities allowance is the approx amount of what you're gonna pay for utilities i.e. electricity bill as you will have to pay it along with your rent to the building management, not directly to Coned.

However, it doesn't mean your building management will bill you exactly $85 every month, it will depend on your usage, it can be less, it can be more. For example, in my case, my utilities allowance was stated $63 at that time when I signed my TIC but in reality, my electricity bills have been mostly less than $63, there were a couple of times only $26!

This makes sense. Thanks! For Gotham I think (don't quote me) that the building has central AC so the tenant's electric bill most likely will not include heating and cooling cost therefore be even lower than the 75/85 mentioned. Maybe kissuki can check after s/he/they is there for a month haha. I just hope they don't add additional money on top of that to compensate for the AC.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:00 PM

Some questions for kissuki:

There are a lot of floors in this building, are the elevators split between high floors/low floors or do all of them go to all 57 or whatever? I anticipate potential delays during rush hour.

Did you set up your own coned or are you paying management like queens said?

Maybe 22/23 is what philly mentioned the "other" unit. Hope youre enjoying your studio! If line 25/26 is 522 sqft then 28/29 is probably smaller and that great of a deal.

Please report back after you moved in for a few weeks. Some tenants in SVEN have trouble controlling the room temperature; just curious if that's also a problem at Gotham. Thanks!!

Last edited by rnt2dh; 03-12-2023 at 07:13 PM..

Old 03-13-2023, 06:41 AM

47 posts, read 62,972 times
Utilities are paid alongside rent to management directly - I pay around ~50 a month on utilities. You have a thermostat in your apartment that you control that I haven't had any issues with

Old 03-13-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno17 View Post
Utilities are paid alongside rent to management directly - I pay around ~50 a month on utilities. You have a thermostat in your apartment that you control that I haven't had any issues with
Thanks!! Seems like you’re liking south tower! Have a great rest of the week!

Also, ~50 checks out. Mines about 60 for a studio in the area with gas covered by coned.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnt2dh View Post
Thanks!! Seems like you’re liking south tower! Have a great rest of the week!

Also, ~50 checks out. Mines about 60 for a studio in the area with gas covered by coned.
"with gas covered by coned."??

Old 03-13-2023, 05:37 PM

Quote:
"with gas covered by coned."??
My bad, I meant my building covers gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery