Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 413 times

Advertisements

This whole place is a scam. I live here and it has been nothing short of an absolute nightmare. The fees for the amenities are outrageous and being able to afford paying them would knock you out of the income bracket for the apartment, not that they would let you use them anyways (they save the amenities for the hotel guests that do short stays here) The units they show you are not the units that they give you. That’s why you can’t record videos… also because the apartments they actually give you are broke down tiny, uglied up units with all the broken appliances from the other apartments and basic downgraded fixtures. The flooring that they put in the affordable units is also a type of fake wood floor, one that needs (but lacks) a sealant over top to prevent staining and lifting so the floors look horrible even if you are really clean and gentle with them….they really try to get that deposit for as much as they can when you move out I guess. I qualified as a 130% ami renter but they stuck me in a 60% ami unit, but charge me for the 130% rate. The management/staff continually come into my apartment when I am not home - to do what? I’m not sure. But I have noticed fresh, sometimes wet, unpainted plaster and spackle on the walls several times upon coming home after being gone for a significant amount of time. The bathroom mirror is a 2way mirror and is glued to the wall. They changed the mailing address for the rent checks and never notified me and now I’m 11,000 dollars behind on my rent payments as per their system but the checks show as cashed on my end. I’ve only lived here since may. Anyone know of a lawyer ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 09:13 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,731,547 times
The management may well be shady, but there's no such thing as a "130%" or "60%" AMI apartment. Within the lottery apartment, no particular apartment is reserved for a particular AMI instead of another AMI (although of course the "slots" available for any given AMI are limited).

You need to get down to your bank tout suite on those checks!!! Don't delay one day!!!

Old 11-07-2023, 09:16 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aRenterScorned View Post
This whole place is a scam. I live here and it has been nothing short of an absolute nightmare. The fees for the amenities are outrageous and being able to afford paying them would knock you out of the income bracket for the apartment, not that they would let you use them anyways (they save the amenities for the hotel guests that do short stays here) The units they show you are not the units that they give you. That’s why you can’t record videos… also because the apartments they actually give you are broke down tiny, uglied up units with all the broken appliances from the other apartments and basic downgraded fixtures. The flooring that they put in the affordable units is also a type of fake wood floor, one that needs (but lacks) a sealant over top to prevent staining and lifting so the floors look horrible even if you are really clean and gentle with them….they really try to get that deposit for as much as they can when you move out I guess. I qualified as a 130% ami renter but they stuck me in a 60% ami unit, but charge me for the 130% rate. The management/staff continually come into my apartment when I am not home - to do what? I’m not sure. But I have noticed fresh, sometimes wet, unpainted plaster and spackle on the walls several times upon coming home after being gone for a significant amount of time. The bathroom mirror is a 2way mirror and is glued to the wall. They changed the mailing address for the rent checks and never notified me and now I’m 11,000 dollars behind on my rent payments as per their system but the checks show as cashed on my end. I’ve only lived here since may. Anyone know of a lawyer ?
i never liked the building.. i told people to not do it lmaoooo

Old 11-07-2023, 10:06 PM

585 posts, read 585,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aRenterScorned View Post
Wow I thought the apartment I toured was the apartment they was gonna give the lottery tenants...thats crazy

Old 11-13-2023, 07:24 AM

413 posts, read 229,218 times
I lived near BC, moved up to that nabe swearing I could adapt. Well I was soo wrong. I left after nine months and luckily got a HC apartment back near BC. That nabe has been up and coming for over a decade and every step forward is followed by two steps back.

Old 11-13-2023, 11:04 AM

33 posts, read 14,076 times
Default Hard pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by darladarla View Post
What's the 411 on East Harlem? Feel free to be superrrr candid lol. I'm from the Bronx but moved to a quieter area of Brooklyn 2-3 years ago. I feel like I can handle 125th since I don't go out much and I just keep to myself but I'm wondering if that's enough to survive living over there. The new buildings they're adding are beautiful but I'm 50/50.
I just moved out of a sublet in East Harlem into my lottery apartment in Astroia. I DO NOT recommend East Harlem unless you are from NYC and very well aware of what it is like up there. I had severe culture shock, coming from smaller places on the West Coast. Everyone at my office advised I get out of the area before the nights are long (like they are now) as with little day light it becomes much more dangerous.

I carried a taser on me at all times, purchased by my parents who were very concerned about me leaving in the neighborhood.

There are no regular stores, just weird little ones everywhere with expired items. It would take me 3-5 stops just to FIND whatever I was looking for whether it was a Celsius energy drink or some type of candy. Everything was extremely hard to find as its not like other parts of NYC. There was no food with in walking distance that I felt comfortable going to.

The subway was horrifying. I witnessed little stores get robbed on several occasions in the 6 months I lived up there in BROAD DAYLIGHT. It is extremally ratchet, dog **** and trash and broken glass absolutely everywhere.

I apologize if I offend anyone, as that is not my intention but this is a very rough area and you WILL BE living in survival mode the entire time. I do not go out and am such a homebody and I absolutely hated every moment I lived up there.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:23 PM

94 posts, read 89,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicupbeat View Post
I just moved out of a sublet in East Harlem into my lottery apartment in Astroia. I DO NOT recommend East Harlem unless you are from NYC and very well aware of what it is like up there. I had severe culture shock, coming from smaller places on the West Coast. Everyone at my office advised I get out of the area before the nights are long (like they are now) as with little day light it becomes much more dangerous.

I carried a taser on me at all times, purchased by my parents who were very concerned about me leaving in the neighborhood.

There are no regular stores, just weird little ones everywhere with expired items. It would take me 3-5 stops just to FIND whatever I was looking for whether it was a Celsius energy drink or some type of candy. Everything was extremely hard to find as its not like other parts of NYC. There was no food with in walking distance that I felt comfortable going to.

The subway was horrifying. I witnessed little stores get robbed on several occasions in the 6 months I lived up there in BROAD DAYLIGHT. It is extremally ratchet, dog **** and trash and broken glass absolutely everywhere.

I apologize if I offend anyone, as that is not my intention but this is a very rough area and you WILL BE living in survival mode the entire time. I do not go out and am such a homebody and I absolutely hated every moment I lived up there.
So sorry you experienced this. And happy to hear you moved to Astoria. Wishing you much happiness in your new home!

Old 11-13-2023, 12:41 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
The management may well be shady, but there's no such thing as a "130%" or "60%" AMI apartment.
i doubt it. i believe the apt finishes/appliances are different for certain AMI's, so they're going by that, and guess what? it's legal

Old 02-02-2024, 04:01 AM

40 posts, read 15,643 times
I live at the building up the block: One East Harlem ( 130 AMI) . I do believe there are different apartments for different AMI... I think they try to give higher AMI better apartments ( one with a view or an island... for example) as opposed to an apartment on a lower floor without these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: