Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2023, 02:06 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarg94 View Post
Thank you everyone for the input, but my point is that the proportions should still be the same.

Of course not all of CB5 entered the lottery nor did all of NYC. However, if you assume the ratio CB5 residents to NYC residents that entered the lottery is the same ratio of CB5 residents to the population at large, you would expect ~1/165~ log numbers to go to CB residents.

Another strange aspect of this is that it seems like every CB# got called at this point, at least I have not seen any one with CB preference state that they have yet to be emailed.

So, I am still speculating as to what could be going on here. @Wildaboutharry makes the interesting point that I overlooked, that people outside of the city can enter the lottery. That could account for the generally high distribution of CB log numbers.

It could just be that not so many people with CB preference entered this lottery relative to the general population. Perhaps so few people with CB preference entered that they just decided to start collecting paperwork for everyone with CB thinking that many of them will have a spot. A guy can hope!
There aren't "CB preference log numbers" only a general pool of numbers from which everyone is pulled. CB and other set asides go first, then everyone else. Preference for general population is for those residing in NYC at time of application. Community board preference obviously cannot live outside of NYC much less that area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGaga View Post
Keep in mind that CB5 is a small CB, I think the smallest population size in Manhattan, as it is mostly compromised of commercial buildings. So it's very likely that they reached out to most, if not all of the CB applicants since it's a relatively large lottery and they're likely going to reach very high log numbers in the preferences..
There is quite a bit of residential housing of all sorts in CB5, more than many imagine and has been that way for decades.

https://www.cb5.org/cb5m/about/map/

From 14th to 34th streets between Sixth east to Irving Place/Lexington ave there is tons of multi-family housing. Some are in old commercial buildings, others are apartment buildings ranging from old to modern construction. Tons of new housing was built along Sixth avenue from high teens going north towards 34th street when city rezoned the "Flower District. All those parking lots in area were redeveloped into either hotels or multi-family housing.

From 8th to Lexington starting at 26th going north through Garment District, Hell's Kitchen and Midtown East again there is a great deal of residential housing. Some of it is converted former commercial space, other purpose built.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?...315000001&z=14

Know people who have lived on 28th, 29th, and 30th streets between 8th and Park avenues for years.

The Prince George Hotel off Madison Square Park has been a homeless shelter or whatever for ages now.

https://www.gothamgazette.com/2969-a...-new-lives-to-

Old 05-18-2023, 04:24 PM

50 posts, read 69,671 times
Yes but if you compare it to neighboring CBs 4 and 6, it’s substantially smaller population wise. So they’re definitely going to reach high log numbers within the CB if I had to guess.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:33 AM

57 posts, read 49,772 times
Has anyone who had been reached out for documents having CB heard anything since the May 9th date?

Old 05-19-2023, 10:58 AM

34 posts, read 36,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS98 View Post
Has anyone who had been reached out for documents having CB heard anything since the May 9th date?
Nothing since that submission acknowledgment a couple says after the deadline.

Old 05-25-2023, 11:42 AM

50 posts, read 69,671 times
My log is under 6,xxx with CB - still have not heard anything since that acknowledgment email as well.

Old 05-25-2023, 01:22 PM

59 posts, read 64,782 times
I’m 5xxx also with CB, nothing yet

Old 05-25-2023, 04:12 PM

Meanwhile back at the ranch market rate units are going like hotcakes.

https://streeteasy.com/building/ruby-chelsea/11gs

Old 05-25-2023, 04:30 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,836,542 times
I noticed the rent is increased again lately for MR units, my studio in my building is now between $5475 & $5950, it used to be only $5250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Meanwhile back at the ranch market rate units are going like hotcakes.

https://streeteasy.com/building/ruby-chelsea/11gs

Old 05-25-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
I noticed the rent is increased again lately for MR units, my studio in my building is now between $5475 & $5950, it used to be only $5250.
It's been in local news for a few weeks now, market rate rents are up with LLs offering fewer if any concessions. https://nypost.com/2023/05/18/nyc-re...me-high-again/

New construction is in a better position than renovated units in old busted RS buildings. People get more for their money I suppose.

LLs of market rate units have more leeway in terms of pricing than RS (which includes these "affordable" lottery units). Getting back on topic noticed the Ruby is offering one month free rent with lease signing as an inducement. That lowers net effective rent which may explain why there's been brisk business lately for this building.

That area of Chelsea ticks many boxes for all sorts of households both gay and straight. Eighth avenue is what it is, but not for want of trying. Penn South is doing a new building just down block which will have a Lidl as ground floor retail tenant. Across the street FIT campus has been undergoing renovations and changes over past few years and doesn't look so bad anymore. https://newyorkyimby.com/2023/05/fac...manhattan.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery