Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 4,891 times

Advertisements

Asking for a friend:

They recently viewed a unit and signed the lease the next day with the property management. But the marketing agent just informed them that someone with a lower log number is interested in proceeding and waiting for HPD approval.

What happens now? is the signed lease automatically void? Has someone experienced this before? What's the liklihood that my friend will get the unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 01:41 PM

293 posts, read 222,544 times
Yikes! Did your friend get HPD approval?

Old 03-27-2023, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 4,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo295 View Post
Yikes! Did your friend get HPD approval?
Nope, they were just offered the lease -- They already gave the deposit.

Old 03-27-2023, 01:52 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,437,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griphook_Ruttish View Post
Nope, they were just offered the lease -- They already gave the deposit.
Yikes. I might consult a lawyer. Was the lease counter signed by the landlord/management company? If not it may not be binding.

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Once the lease is signed it’s too late. Neither HPD nor the landlord can go back. A lease is a legal contract.

253 posts, read 217,303 times
They could possibly fight that especially since they had signed a lease reguardless of who’s lower than who management made a mistake

Old 03-27-2023, 02:19 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
I am just making guesses. Was this a Lease, or something that only looks like a Lease? is this a large building. Perhaps, there is another additional unit available that they will offer your friend. If so, I suppose your friend could say ‘No’ and demand the deposit back. But, if this hypothetical additional unit is a good deal your friend wouldn’t turn it down.

(If your friend does not get HPD approval that suggests a lease or lease-like agreement might be voided.)

If they get a rejection notice, making an appeal might secure them some rights, privileges, and priorities, perhaps.

Old 03-27-2023, 02:59 PM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Yikes. I might consult a lawyer. Was the lease counter signed by the landlord/management company? If not it may not be binding.
I'm not a lawyer, but I think what linamonroll is saying is correct. Did the landlord's representative also sign the lease? If not, the lease may not be enforceable.

Still, if your friend is nice about the situation, along with pointing out the inconvenience and emotional upheaval of the situation, your friend could advocate for getting another vacant unit in the building, as Harry said.

Old 03-27-2023, 03:11 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griphook_Ruttish View Post
Asking for a friend:

They recently viewed a unit and signed the lease the next day with the property management. But the marketing agent just informed them that someone with a lower log number is interested in proceeding and waiting for HPD approval.

What happens now? is the signed lease automatically void? Has someone experienced this before? What's the liklihood that my friend will get the unit?
First next step, find and read this ‘lease’ to see if any such circumstances are described. This could avoid the disappointment and embarrassment of someone pointing out that there already exists a written, and agreed upon, explanation of what a remedy might be if there is one, if and when such circumstances arise. Such a hypothetical portion of this ‘lease’ would like describe how a deposit would be refunded and so on.

Referring to the Marketing Handbook which is available online might illuminate matters.

Old 03-27-2023, 03:44 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
”No resident may be moved into the building, and no lease or contract may be signed, until the Agency has received and completed its review of the applicant file and notified the Marketing Agent in writing that such applicant may move forward.”

However, if I had signed an ***actual lease***, and had no involvement in any shenanigans relating to log number or eligibility (as I trust your friend does not), I would kick and scream nonstop. I don't think the lease is binding if not countersigned by the agent/landlord, but it's still their error, and a pretty big one, too. Be a (polite) pain if they end up denied--appeal the denial, talk to their city council rep, etc. In the end it may be easier for them to find room for them than otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: