Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 07:11 PM

17 posts, read 16,339 times

Advertisements

I just got approved and was offered to sign the lease for an apt that was my second choice. My docs were also just submitted for HPD approval for my 1st choice apt, which is significantly better than the other one. Those are my only two options, and I have to move asap. They haven't given me a deadline with signing the lease, but I'm worried they'll give me an ultimatum if I stall too much while waiting on approval for the other apartment. Has anyone been in a similar situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 07:27 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientfreak View Post
I just got approved and was offered to sign the lease for an apt that was my second choice. My docs were also just submitted for HPD approval for my 1st choice apt, which is significantly better than the other one. Those are my only two options, and I have to move asap. They haven't given me a deadline with signing the lease, but I'm worried they'll give me an ultimatum if I stall too much while waiting on approval for the other apartment. Has anyone been in a similar situation?
Generally LLs aren't going to wait forever for new tenant to sign lease. You'll likely have a week maybe a bit more or less to make up your mind. You can try asking managing agent (apartment lease offered) for more time if second set of paperwork has not come through (offer of lease or rejection), but nothing is guaranteed.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:31 PM

180 posts, read 121,487 times
wow your log must have been low to have 2 choices.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Generally LLs aren't going to wait forever for new tenant to sign lease. You'll likely have a week maybe a bit more or less to make up your mind. You can try asking managing agent (apartment lease offered) for more time if second set of paperwork has not come through (offer of lease or rejection), but nothing is guaranteed.
Yeah I'm hoping I'll have a week. The approval came within 2 days, so hopefully it'll be as quick for the other unit.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by affordablekeisha View Post
wow your log must have been low to have 2 choices.
It was in the 1400s for both

Old 04-25-2023, 08:08 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
It’s a nice problem to have. You might already know, having your file sent to HPD is not a guarantee, but it’s a very good sign.

You can consider contacting your second choice and asking for a bit more time. Tell them you have the money. Also consider asking the agent for your first choice if there is anyway you two might be able to get a quick response from HPD. If the the units are similar AMI% and household qualifications, is HPD allowed to look at the recent approval and offer of choice #2 as evidence that choice #1 should should get the fast rubber stamp? I am guessing all the documents submitted are the same.

Thought question: would it be worth it to you to make a ‘deposit’ to hold the offer on choice #2 while waiting on choice #1? Would you be willing to risk a ‘deposit’?

If you offer a deposit maybe they will give you more time.

Old 04-25-2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
It’s a nice problem to have. You might already know, having your file sent to HPD is not a guarantee, but it’s a very good sign.

You can consider contacting your second choice and asking for a bit more time. Tell them you have the money. Also consider asking the agent for your first choice if there is anyway you two might be able to get a quick response from HPD. If the the units are similar AMI% and household qualifications, is HPD allowed to look at the recent approval and offer of choice #2 as evidence that choice #1 should should get the fast rubber stamp? I am guessing all the documents submitted are the same.

Thought question: would it be worth it to you to make a ‘deposit’ to hold the offer on choice #2 while waiting on choice #1? Would you be willing to risk a ‘deposit’?

If you offer a deposit maybe they will give you more time.

They are the exact same AMI, and all the docs I submitted were the same. But Idk, from what I've read here nothing is a guarantee.

Old 04-26-2023, 05:41 AM

21 posts, read 28,030 times
Ahhh. I may be in a similar circumstance.

- My 2nd choice is with HPD for review and I should get a decision any day now.
- My first choice contacted me for initial round docs almost two weeks ago now. My log #for this one is 3xx with ME. I understand that since I’ve only been contacted for initial round docs, I have ways to go with no guarantee of even a next step for my first choice. So I will probably just sign the lease for option 2.

Good luck friend on a similar boat! Let us know what you do!

Old 04-26-2023, 06:05 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Asking about the consequences of breaking the lease seems wise. Likewise, backing out of the lease before moving in, and so on. It might be possible to get that first choice but costs might be involved.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson28 View Post
Ahhh. I may be in a similar circumstance.

- My 2nd choice is with HPD for review and I should get a decision any day now.
- My first choice contacted me for initial round docs almost two weeks ago now. My log #for this one is 3xx with ME. I understand that since I’ve only been contacted for initial round docs, I have ways to go with no guarantee of even a next step for my first choice. So I will probably just sign the lease for option 2.

Good luck friend on a similar boat! Let us know what you do!
I got approved today for my first choice. Can't believe it's all over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery