Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 09:01 AM

199 posts, read 220,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
This makes me sad to read this, but not for the reason you'd expect. I hate to see this trash talk on this side of the NYC forum.

The New York Post is not an objective chronicler of events. It is basically a mouthpiece of the Republican Party, which needs to continually stir up MAGA resentment and pit groups of people against one another to take attention away from the real injustices in our society.

In short, I would not trust the Post on this.

Plus, according to the article, this is happening upstate, not within NYC lottery apartments.

And even if you want to believe the article, it states that the homeless vets were moved to another hotel.

The MAGA people have already poisoned the other side of the NYC forum, and I hate for it to happen here too. The lottery side has been so helpful to everyone and politics-free.
Thank you macnyc2003. This forum has a special place in my heart, and reading the vitriol against migrants makes me sad. I am an immigrant myself, and it is a disservice to so many forum members on affordable housing waitlists to start spreading news like - "I heard in Chicago this happened," or relying on the Post is just foul and mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 09:25 AM

60 posts, read 49,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycgirl91 View Post
I have a concern. Is everyone aware of all the migrants coming to New York? Do you think they will get priority in NYC housing in the lottery apartments and nycha? I’ve been hearing that Chicago residents have been kicked off waiting lists for housing because the migrants are being given priority for housing, is this true?? If this is true then it’s so wrong! I genuinely feel sorry for any American citizen who is on a waitlist for housing right now i’m praying for you.
...like susan collins level of concerned? lol.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:33 AM

125 posts, read 136,613 times
I didn’t mean to offend anyone and I wasn’t being mean it’s just a concern that’s all because if I’m seeing in the news that Chicago residents are upset saying that they’re being kicked off waitlist for housing what does this mean for nyc? I just don’t think it’s fair or right to take away any American tax payers opportunity to get into housing for an illegal immigrant that just crossed the border. I have nothing against immigrants coming here but American citizens, residents, green card holders those who are doing things the right & legal way should be taken care of first.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:53 AM

2,034 posts, read 1,650,859 times
Default Green Card holders are legal US residents. All immigrants pay some taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycgirl91 View Post
I didn’t mean to offend anyone and I wasn’t being mean it’s just a concern that’s all because if I’m seeing in the news that Chicago residents are upset saying that they’re being kicked off waitlist for housing what does this mean for nyc? I just don’t think it’s fair or right to take away any American tax payers opportunity to get into housing for an illegal immigrant that just crossed the border. I have nothing against immigrants coming here but American citizens, residents, green card holders those who are doing things the right & legal way should be taken care of first.
Pointing out here, non-American citizens are eligible for housing lotteries certainly, and likely NYCHA too. A US Green Card holder is a legal resident of the U.S. and not a U.S. Citizen, they pay taxes. Also, undocumented immigrants pay taxes.

Putting aside NYCHA, Housing lotteries require luck to prevail. Any person eligible or not who enters these lotteries need to be lucky. Yes, the more people enter the longer the odds get, but they are already very long.

Given what most of us know about the lottery process, with all the household size documentation, paperwork, tax documentation, photo ID, NY State preference, NYC preference, and Community Board preference, it seems that new arrivals no matter their immigration or asylum status are at a disadvantage in housing lotteries. Consider how ignorant they likely are of the system. How well prepared are such immigrants to meet lottery document submitting deadlines, some of which are only 5 and 10 days.

We must consider that some ‘media reports’ about immigrants cutting the line ahead of residents are calculated to get attention and clicks more than accurately inform. For example, the authorities opening a derelict hotel to house refugees is somehow portrayed as a zero sum game where it takes Affordable Housing units away from ordinary households.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:54 AM

44 posts, read 44,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
To date there are >60K of these so called ”migrants” already in NYC and thousand or so more are arriving each week or month.

City is already rolling out red carpet for these people even before any of them have begun formal asylum process. Immigration office in NYC is giving out appointments for 2032! That's the earliest any of them can even begin a process that will likely take five, ten or more years to finally play out.

Long story short you can bet the egg money a number of these ”migrants” are going from shelters into ”affordable” or ”low income” lottery apartments.

As many of these ”migrants” are ”Latino/Hispanic” that caucus both in Albany and NYC is ramping up all sorts of assistance, requests for same and so on. You can be sure Latino/Hispanic politicians both upstate and NYC are going to push to get theirs out of shelters and into ”stable housing”.

Many of these ”migrants” are families of all sorts with children, my guess is they will get first priority for some sort of ”stable housing”, same as anyone else.
They're literally sleeping in tents in parking lots, and on cots in an abandoned ship terminal. that's hardly the "red carpet". ALSO, undocumented migrants are ineligible to receive government assistance. Take your racism elsewhere.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:06 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
This is what you voted for......Is NY not a sanctuary state?

Old 05-15-2023, 10:29 AM

60 posts, read 49,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
This is what you voted for......Is NY not a sanctuary state?
please take this nonsense to the other forums. we're not looking for this here. there are plenty of people to play in the big bigot sandbox over there.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvillager2020 View Post
...like susan collins level of concerned? lol.
What do you mean??

Old 05-15-2023, 02:21 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,038,683 times
I don't think that the OP meant any vitriol with her post.

I think that anyone's concern is legitimate if they're looking to find affordable housing but were unable to. For applicants who are of over 100 AMI, I don't think that they need to worry. Unskilled migrants will not be making 165 AMI, otherwise if they had those skills they would've migrated legally here or to another western country on a skilled visa. But I think that for lower wage earners, these lotteries will become more competitive. It's a valid reason to worry.

As for the person who said that right wingers are anti-migrant, that is not true. It is the process of bypassing laws that they don't' like. Why were the laws made in the first place? And there is a reason why there are quotas in visas - just like in any other country: We need for our infrastructure, (schools, hospitals, police & fire departments, physical infrastructure, affordable housing etc.) to be able to accommodate the crowds. Getting skilled workers (from anywhere in the world) to come here help a lot since they are able provide a strong tax base. I don't understand why people take offense to that or consider that "right winged" hatred.

Old 05-15-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I don't think that the OP meant any vitriol with her post.

I think that anyone's concern is legitimate if they're looking to find affordable housing but were unable to. For applicants who are of over 100 AMI, I don't think that they need to worry. Unskilled migrants will not be making 165 AMI, otherwise if they had those skills they would've migrated legally here or to another western country on a skilled visa. But I think that for lower wage earners, these lotteries will become more competitive. It's a valid reason to worry.

As for the person who said that right wingers are anti-migrant, that is not true. It is the process of bypassing laws that they don't' like. Why were the laws made in the first place? And there is a reason why there are quotas in visas - just like in any other country: We need for our infrastructure, (schools, hospitals, police & fire departments, physical infrastructure, affordable housing etc.) to be able to accommodate the crowds. Getting skilled workers (from anywhere in the world) to come here help a lot since they are able provide a strong tax base. I don't understand why people take offense to that or consider that "right winged" hatred.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery