Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 03:21 PM

962 posts, read 942,350 times

Advertisements

They aren’t going to prioritize them for the housing lottery……
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 03:39 PM

6,693 posts, read 6,050,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycgirl91 View Post
Thank you!
You’re welcome!
By the way, there is a difference between legal migrants and undocumented. Migrants who get their green cards and who apply and come here through the process are not the same as someone who crossed the border and showed up. I don’t think people have any idea that there are over 60,000 of undocumented people needing asylum. The media wants to make people think that these individuals are the same as someone who came here through the process and that anyone who raises a concern is a far right nutjob.

Old 05-15-2023, 03:56 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,749,767 times
FYI, seeking asylum is not illegal. In fact, it's a right protected by international law.

Old 05-15-2023, 07:27 PM

122 posts, read 119,273 times
I feel like this post prob should go in the general NYC forum. Regardless of intent, this seems more suited for that forum and not this specific space that is meant to share factual information about the lottery.

Old 05-16-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
FYI, seeking asylum is not illegal. In fact, it's a right protected by international law.
The OP is not referring to people seeking asylum. She's referring to people who have crossed the border without having applied to any program. Individuals who unlawfully enter the United States through its southwest land border or adjacent coastal borders are ineligible for asylum.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:50 AM

254 posts, read 225,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
The OP is not referring to people seeking asylum. She's referring to people who have crossed the border without having applied to any program. Individuals who unlawfully enter the United States through its southwest land border or adjacent coastal borders are ineligible for asylum.
The OP didn’t mention nothing about crossing borders without inspection it’s obvious OP is talking about asylum seekers because they are the ones coming legally and they would be the ones to get preference. So reread the original post

Old 05-16-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denellis View Post
The OP didn’t mention nothing about crossing borders without inspection it’s obvious OP is talking about asylum seekers because they are the ones coming legally and they would be the ones to get preference. So reread the original post
If they are coming here legally and are NYC residents, then there is no problem with them getting access to affordable housing. But I don't think that's what the OP said. Why else would she thank me for my post?

As a FYI - "Migrants" is a respectable term instead of, "illegals" or "undocumented" which I don't think should be used interchangeably, but whatever. To me, a migrant is someone who went through the process and who is just as much a US citizen or permanent resident or in the process of becoming one and should have access to anything that we do.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:27 AM

8,784 posts, read 5,085,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvillager2020 View Post
please take this nonsense to the other forums. we're not looking for this here. there are plenty of people to play in the big bigot sandbox over there.
Oh, but it is anything but nonsence.....you are starting to realize that now. Ny voters are a problem for alloff us, not just you.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:48 AM

I don't know why going through a process is seen as bigoted.

When people go to a restaurant or a bar and the bouncer asks them for ID is that bigoted? Or when there a big red "maximum occupancy not to exceed" plastered sign, is that bigoted?

I think it's offensive to think that persons of color cannot come into this country unless it's through a coyote or by disorganization.

My friend who's from the Dominican Republic came to this country through a skilled visa as a MD and she bought her own apartment in the upper west side. My nieces mother is also Latina who came to this country with a DDS. She's currently practicing cosmetic dentistry in California and is making a hell of a lot more than I will ever make.

So for people to say it's bigoted to say that everyone undocumented is a person of color is bigoted in itself! Sorry if I step on toes, but it's the truth.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:40 PM

103 posts, read 98,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Putting aside NYCHA, Housing lotteries require luck to prevail. Any person eligible or not who enters these lotteries need to be lucky. Yes, the more people enter the longer the odds get, but they are already very long.

Given what most of us know about the lottery process, with all the household size documentation, paperwork, tax documentation, photo ID, NY State preference, NYC preference, and Community Board preference, it seems that new arrivals no matter their immigration or asylum status are at a disadvantage in housing lotteries. Consider how ignorant they likely are of the system. How well prepared are such immigrants to meet lottery document submitting deadlines, some of which are only 5 and 10 days.
Exactly. This whole thread is basically “they’re stealing our jobs!” rhetoric. Could migrants add to the pool of people applying? Sure. But legal immigrants can also add to the pool. And so can native-born American citizens moving to NYC from Minnesota or wherever. Even if there was no negative intent with this post, it’s not likely to produce any type of constructive conversation. Maybe let’s just go back to actually discussing the process or the buildings instead of the applicants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery