Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 07:03 AM

151 posts, read 86,482 times

Advertisements

I knew it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Yes, they are swiping left and right to move people up or down on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 08:32 AM

301 posts, read 214,046 times
I’m curious how parking is in the area? I know there is a long waitlist for parking. Would it be worth bringing or should I sell it before I move?

Old 03-01-2024, 08:52 AM

430 posts, read 507,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg713 View Post
I’m curious how parking is in the area? I know there is a long waitlist for parking. Would it be worth bringing or should I sell it before I move?
It's terrible honestly.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
When you get access to the online PS wait list in June, it will all be revealed.

Yes, the lists are combined, and the 2023 people will be behind those from prior years already on the list, as you would expect.

So for the one-bedroom list, for example, you can clearly see who’s ahead of you, the year that they went on the list, and whether they are on hold or not.

You will be able to see either the full list or else sort by “actives only,” which ignores those on hold.

I don’t think Penn South has a preference for veterans.
There isn't a veterans (or any kind of community) preference.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:09 AM

301 posts, read 214,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
It's terrible honestly.
Thank you. I figured that.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:34 PM

59 posts, read 57,382 times
We live in Chelsea currently and, yes, parking is rough, unless someone is home during the day and you can play the alternate side game. I did for a few years, got sick of it, and we sold the car.

Old 03-04-2024, 02:51 PM

11 posts, read 9,935 times
Does anyone know how many lottery entries there were? I'm so curious and I can't find anything.

Old 03-04-2024, 04:45 PM

2,042 posts, read 1,659,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNYC2023 View Post
Does anyone know how many lottery entries there were? I'm so curious and I can't find anything.
‘ There will be a limit of 400 applicants drawn for the Studio waitlist and 600 applicants will be drawn for the One-Bedroom waitlist. Only applicants that are drawn will be notified.’

The sentence above does not answer your question. I have never seen the total number of entries published. I would seem to be public information.

You can try reaching out to a public information officer or some such, call 311, consult a librarian, file a freedom of information claim, contact your City Councilor’s office for constituent service. Intuition tells me it will take multiple contact points to get results and they won’t come rapidly.

With HC2 Lotteries you can get some data from your own log #. If you are log# 54321 you can estimate there were at least that many entries.

Here are some suggestions why M-L might be less popular than typical HC2 lotteries. But I still suspect the number of entries is high:
I am guessing that fewer people know about the Mitchell-Lama lotteries. The entry window is typically shorter number of days for M-L lotteries. It’s very hard to learn about the building because there are very few interior images and floor plans online. The lottery notices are text only. Almost all M-L lotteries involve a waitlist which can discourage entries. Many times, it be many years before the offer of a unit come up for a log# holder. Some M-L lotteries are for co-op purchases which many people are ignorant about co-ops, and financing the purchase is not done by many lenders. There is typically an application fee unlike HC2. The buildings are all many decades old, many have a long obsolete style.

Old 03-04-2024, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNYC2023 View Post
in my lottery year, 2014, HPD claims there was between 30K-50K postcards. In 2014, there wasn't an option to apply online.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:29 PM

11 posts, read 9,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
in my lottery year, 2014, HPD claims there was between 30K-50K postcards. In 2014, there wasn't an option to apply online.
Yes, I had seen that somewhere. I assume the 2023 number is much higher since it is easy to apply online but I’m just speculating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery