Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2023, 08:49 AM

16 posts, read 8,467 times

Advertisements

Hi! Has anyone had success after being placed on an internal waiting list?
I qualified for both a 1bed and studio in my ami, but 1beds were already claimed by the time they got to my number. I was advised by HPD to request to be put on the internal waitlist with the building for any future openings. I was also advised to continue to follow up every now and then to see if any openings are coming up (my building started filling units a year ago, so tenants potentially are not renewing in the next few month). However, when i did follow up I got no response from the building or my marketing agent.
I am so so grateful for the unit I did receive, but a 1bed would make such a difference.

- Have any of you had success with an internal transfer?
- Did you have to follow up on your own?
- Did you have to go through the approval process again?

Any info is helpful! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 08:51 AM

Side note, I was in CB for my lottery. According to my building thread, a few people in my ami won 1beds in gen pop - is this something that is common?

Old 12-20-2023, 09:50 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athomeny View Post
Side note, I was in CB for my lottery. According to my building thread, a few people in my ami won 1beds in gen pop - is this something that is common?
I can’t say if it’s common. Do you know if the agents and building knew that you qualified for 1 bed? Perhaps a mistake was made. Or perhaps these 1 bedroom leases fell through at the last moment after you took your studio.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
I can’t say if it’s common. Do you know if the agents and building knew that you qualified for 1 bed? Perhaps a mistake was made. Or perhaps these 1 bedroom leases fell through at the last moment after you took your studio.
Yeah, the agent told me I was eligible for both 1bed and studio, but only studio was available if I wanted to continue. I suppose something could have fallen through for someone else, hard to say!
I was very up front that I wanted a 1bed if any way possible and up until the last minute was advised to accept the unit and they could update if that happened. Although, seems most times I called I got a slightly different answer depending on the rep so could have been poor advice.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:55 AM

1,703 posts, read 1,442,734 times
Quote:
Was this a brand new building? Sometimes they start leasing units before all units in the building are finished so it is possible that when you were to the point of selecting a unit, no 1Brs were available, and then later, additional 1 Brs were completed and made available.

In my building for example when I moved in, the apartments on the top ~15 floors were not completed so those who had higher logs than me were offered units later on higher floors than I had the option to select. I didn't want a higher floor than I have but some may be upset if they feel like higher logs got "better" apartments.

Old 12-20-2023, 01:07 PM

112 posts, read 97,397 times
Quote:
Hi! Has anyone had success after being placed on an internal waiting list?
I qualified for both a 1bed and studio in my ami, but 1beds were already claimed by the time they got to my number. I was advised by HPD to request to be put on the internal waitlist with the building for any future openings. I was also advised to continue to follow up every now and then to see if any openings are coming up (my building started filling units a year ago, so tenants potentially are not renewing in the next few month). However, when i did follow up I got no response from the building or my marketing agent.
I am so so grateful for the unit I did receive, but a 1bed would make such a difference.

- Have any of you had success with an internal transfer?
- Did you have to follow up on your own?
- Did you have to go through the approval process again?

Any info is helpful! Thanks
Do they have a office in the building where the staff work? If they do, just go in and ask directly.

Old 12-20-2023, 01:37 PM

203 posts, read 263,198 times
I successfully transferred units. Studio to one bedroom. Periodically check in with your management company. Get on the waiting list if one exists.

Old 12-20-2023, 01:55 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Was this a brand new building? Sometimes they start leasing units before all units in the building are finished so it is possible that when you were to the point of selecting a unit, no 1Brs were available, and then later, additional 1 Brs were completed and made available.

In my building for example when I moved in, the apartments on the top ~15 floors were not completed so those who had higher logs than me were offered units later on higher floors than I had the option to select. I didn't want a higher floor than I have but some may be upset if they feel like higher logs got "better" apartments.
This is a possible scenario. If so, then no 1 bed unit were available. And they could say truthfully, ‘there are no 1 beds available’. I don’t know what the rules say about waiting for a unit that is not available yet. There might be a blanket rule, or buildings might be allowed to let people wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery