Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 06:20 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexiBibi View Post
Vladeck was indeed my first choice. I even went to go check it out with my husband. The only negative things we found about it were that the mail boxes were outside and it seemed very easy to get lost in. My husbands choice is Rangel. So far I've read that it's the worst but is the only project on my list with Immediate Anticipated Vacancies. I am now curious about Grant. Is it better than Rangel?
I'd go with Grant over Rangel, yes - but you should probably go check it out. Maybe you or your husband will differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:35 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Woah! I'm suprised no one has mentioned the University Avenue Consolidated houses in Morris Heights. I just came across an article from 2004 about these same projects having the highest per capita crime rate of any housing project in the city. Look at these numbers:

Bounded by W. Burnside ave to the north, W. Tremont ave to the south and running along University ave:

Pop: 599

rapes: 4 or 667.7 per 100,000

robberies: 26 or 4,340 per 100,000 !!!

assaults: 18 or 3,005 per 100,000 !!!

And 3 shootings to boot, giving it a rate of 500 shot per 100,000

Even though this is from 2004, I found it amazing. I never have seen per capita stats this high. It's funny because most people would have believed that the most dangerous PJ would be somewhere in Brownsville, East NY, South Jamaica, Far Rock, Mott Haven, or Morrisania but no folks....

it's actually in the west BX neighborhood of Morris Heights. I tell you people that neighborhood is ****** up. I have the displeasure of living 4 blocks from those hell-hole buildings.

Here is the link:

Archives - New York Post Online Edition

Last edited by DoubleXAs; 06-25-2010 at 12:52 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 02:39 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
From what people have told me Castle Hill is dead. It used to be really bad but it has calmed down alot. Also when I was on that block, the sorrounding neighborhood was really quiet and I saw a few people here and there in the projects but it was relatively calm aswell.

Oh, I tought the poster wanted projects from NYC not just the Bronx.

I agree with your thought. About 95% of the projects are in bad neighborhoods. As a result they in turn are bad.
There is a correlation, Mario. Most of the neighborhoods turned bad as a result of the projects there as projects weren't strategically placed in bad neighborhoods to begin with.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:42 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady du bronx View Post
can anyone tell me how they think about butler houses?
When I think of craphole neighborhoods in the Bronx, I think of Morrisania, Claremont, which the Butler and Webster Houses lie right in the middle of. There is really nothing pleasant I can say about that vicinity. Nothing at all.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
When I think of craphole neighborhoods in the Bronx, I think of Morrisania, Claremont, which the Butler and Webster Houses lie right in the middle of. There is really nothing pleasant I can say about that vicinity. Nothing at all.
Quoted for truth.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 PM

7 posts, read 36,404 times
What's the consensus on Vladeck Houses (specifically the buildings on Jackson street)?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Woah! I'm suprised no one has mentioned the University Avenue Consolidated houses in Morris Heights. I just came across an article from 2004 about these same projects having the highest per capita crime rate of any housing project in the city. Look at these numbers:

Bounded by W. Burnside ave to the north, W. Tremont ave to the south and running along University ave:

Pop: 599

rapes: 4 or 667.7 per 100,000

robberies: 26 or 4,340 per 100,000 !!!

assaults: 18 or 3,005 per 100,000 !!!

And 3 shootings to boot, giving it a rate of 500 shot per 100,000

Even though this is from 2004, I found it amazing. I never have seen per capita stats this high. It's funny because most people would have believed that the most dangerous PJ would be somewhere in Brownsville, East NY, South Jamaica, Far Rock, Mott Haven, or Morrisania but no folks....

it's actually in the west BX neighborhood of Morris Heights. I tell you people that neighborhood is ****** up. I have the displeasure of living 4 blocks from those hell-hole buildings.

Here is the link:

Archives - New York Post Online Edition
they will never get recognition because they're rehabs.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-25-2010, 07:44 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoMuch View Post
What's the consensus on Vladeck Houses (specifically the buildings on Jackson street)?
seems quiet to me one night i walked the whole madison street strip from smith houses to grand street. trust me i have seen projects a million times worse. seen a few junkies but junkies dont bother anybody cause they're worried about their next fix and not u.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-26-2010, 01:02 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Betances is alittle bit more better and safer then most other housing projects. Betances building is usually a single developlement compared to a group of designated housing projects. Some Betances buildings are a little more cleaner then regular housing projects. Whats cool about Betances is that it does not look like a housing project.
it still looks ghetto and trashy though.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
it still looks ghetto and trashy though.
Not really. From the outside it does not look like a housing projects, some look like regular tenanements and some do not. Betances are easier to manage because they are smaller buildings compared to other housing development complex. It beats living in those towering twenty story housing projects which every stair case landing has urine, broken elevators, garbage tossed and pilled up in the front entrance of the building, cops and ems constantly running towards those massive housing pjs complex to handle emergencies. Betances is rough but other projects are rougher and insane.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 06-26-2010 at 01:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery