Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 10:20 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnery View Post
only because many dominicans live in the area this does not mean it's high crimes..they're not the ones killing..they could be seeling drugs but not killing...
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 9,676 times
And the places are..
*Johnson- e. 114th st. & lexington ave
*lincoln - e. 9th & ave. D
* polo grounds towers - w. 155th st. & frederick douglass
*st nicholas - e 128th & lexington
*smith- madison st & st james
*wagner-e 123rd& first ave
* e 120th st- e 120th & pleasant ave
*rutgers - madison & pike sts
*samuel (frederick )- w 144th & adam clayton powell

Which ones should we avoid? We have two small children. one that starts preschool this yr. And hubby works in queens by the 7 train so what transportation is near any of the good ones?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 14,911 times
Exclamation In need of help w.transferring into another NYCHA resulting from mothers death.

HELLO, due to the recent death of my mother in our two bedroom NYCHA apartment, I am going to have to transfer into a one bedroom apartment. Some people said i could have fought to keep the two apartment. In the begginging, I was going to but it has been too much with memories and all. I was given the options to choose three complexes that were open. Does anyone know about

1.Breukelen Houses in Canarsie, Brooklyn
2.Pomonok Houses in Flushing, Queens
3. Lower East Side 2 in LES,Manhattan

Are any of these good as far as living conditions,tranportation,neighborhood? I am realistically aware that there will be crime and imperfections with all nycha developments,but I will be transferring from the Louis H. Pink Houses. I do not wish to move to another side of this development at ALL! So what do you think would be considered an upgrade based on NYCHA standards, area,transportation,crime,etc? Also since I will be transferring into a one bedroom and they seem to be feening for this apartment, how long does the usual process take to get a call,a move, and etc.? PLEASE HELP! Thanx with regards....

Old 02-12-2011, 01:11 PM

82 posts, read 175,680 times
I'm sorry about your loss. I can relate a experience to it.
As far as the wait goes..
My grandmother had a 2 bedroom apartment and my grandfather passed away. (they slept in different rooms)
She didnt want to stay in that apartment. 20 years of memories she wanted to move on and transfer to a 1 bedroom apartment.
That was in 2006.
She finally moved in 2010..the wait was horrible. She is 80 year old woman and she didn't need all that space. Too much cleaning for her and she felt alone..now she's in Manhattan closer to her daughters.
I would choose lower east side 2. That neighborhood isn't bad at all.
I consider that an upgrade from the pink houses. I have a relative that lives in les 2. They don't even look like projects. It's real clean. I would deff choose that development.
Idk about the mta. I'm a car person but I'm sure a good amount of trains and buses run through there, and not that far to get to them.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:30 PM

172 posts, read 590,109 times
To pink... I think all 3 are decent but I personally know that pomonok is one of the nicest developments I've ever been to.... its relatively clean and safe. The surrounding area of flushing is nice too. The only drawback is that you have to take the bus to the e train but isn't that commute similar to pink? If you're a driver then the long island expressway is 2 blocks away..( I don't know if that's good or bad lol)

To Elle, if you flip threw the thread some of those developments have been mentioned as the worse, (polo grounds) all of those Harlem developments have a fair share of crime and grime..it depends on your comfort level.F Samuel is ok. It's has 30 - 40 tenement style buildings, mostly walk ups. Some good, some rowdy. Maybe Rutgers is a decent spot but I can't speak on the lower east developments. Mabye someone else can? All I can really say is to take a trip to some to some of these places on a Friday night, walk thru the complex, if you don't feel comfortable doing this then mqbye that project is not for you.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:40 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink1308 View Post
HELLO, due to the recent death of my mother in our two bedroom NYCHA apartment, I am going to have to transfer into a one bedroom apartment. Some people said i could have fought to keep the two apartment. In the begginging, I was going to but it has been too much with memories and all. I was given the options to choose three complexes that were open. Does anyone know about

Are any of these good as far as living conditions,tranportation,neighborhood? I am realistically aware that there will be crime and imperfections with all nycha developments,but I will be transferring from the Louis H. Pink Houses. I do not wish to move to another side of this development at ALL! So what do you think would be considered an upgrade based on NYCHA standards, area,transportation,crime,etc? Also since I will be transferring into a one bedroom and they seem to be feening for this apartment, how long does the usual process take to get a call,a move, and etc.? PLEASE HELP! Thanx with regards....
if you want a short commute pick LES
if you dont care about your commute pick pomonok
avoid breukelen

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 18,864 times
van dyke seth low brownsville houses marcus garvey howard houses..all next to each other..those are the worst..breukelen is safe if youre not young..but keep youre kids away from the park..lotss of bloods and drugs there

Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 18,864 times
oh wow..if youre transferring from pink houses breukelen will be like the suburbs to you..to add to my list pink houses are bad sometimes linden houses boulevard houses arent safe if you dont know anyone

Old 03-04-2011, 10:17 AM

108 posts, read 285,853 times
Quote:

Sorry for your loss.
If you want to stay (relatively) in the same area, obviously Breukelen. I would consider that an upgrade from Pink. Pomonok has a reputation as one of the best and safest large developments, but it's kind of remote.
Sorry - I have no idea how long it will take (I work for NYCHA, but in a department that's totally unrelated to aprtment rentals)

Old 03-06-2011, 06:26 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:

If you're moving from the PINK houses, any one of these would be an upgrade. Go for the LES Houses in Manhattan. Give it a year, if you don't like it, you can transfer somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery