Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:10 PM

341 posts, read 453,119 times

Advertisements

Random question..but can I ask why anyone who makes over 40k a year needs a section 8 voucher....or needs to wait for 3 years on an NYCHA list? I make less than that and still manage. I'm not fimiliar with the system though..so maybe there is something that I am missing. It seems like this question is being asked a lot on here....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 12,086 times
I applied for housing in Manhattan, since that's where I'm from, and where I cerrently work. There was an outreach program for housing in Staten Island, and in depseration, I applied for that too. In about a year I recieved a letter fro housing in Staten Island, and I had my interview in Brooklyn. I had also received a notice from housing in Manhattan, but it turned out to be a lottery. I was thinking a lottery for housing?..wow
I have a one bedroon here in Staten Island. Everything was new in the apartment, and the layout is pretty nice. People hang in front of the building which makes me sick, but management said after a year, I can put in for a transfer.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:58 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,356,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiscesKitty View Post
I applied for housing in Manhattan, since that's where I'm from, and where I cerrently work. There was an outreach program for housing in Staten Island, and in depseration, I applied for that too. In about a year I recieved a letter fro housing in Staten Island, and I had my interview in Brooklyn. I had also received a notice from housing in Manhattan, but it turned out to be a lottery. I was thinking a lottery for housing?..wow
I have a one bedroon here in Staten Island. Everything was new in the apartment, and the layout is pretty nice. People hang in front of the building which makes me sick, but management said after a year, I can put in for a transfer.
what development in staten island?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM

86 posts, read 173,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
My experience with housing has been absolutely horrible.... I applied when I was pregnant with my daughter NEVER CONTACTED!!!! Re-applied when SHE WAS IN SCHOOL.........CONTACTED BECAUSE I WROTE THE MAYOR AND THE CHAIRPERSON OF NYCHA A LITTLE NASTY LETTER.... Waited another 5yrs to get an interview, another 8mths to tell me I was ELIGIBLE... WITH THE HELP OF MORE NASTY LETTERS TO THE SAME PEOPLE MENTIONED ABOVE finally received a list of apartment complexes to choose from now it's been almost 2mths and waiting for a call back from the complex I chose....

It's such a disappointment when someone WHO ACTUALLY NEEDS AN APARTMENT is either denied or is left waiting for years and years and years before they are even considered..... While some people who don't even want it or need it as badly get it IMMEDIATELY or from other family members.

How long am I going to wait?

You might have to wait another year or 2 depending on your priority.

Good Luck to You...
Hope it works out

Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 PM

86 posts, read 173,203 times
that is true, one you select a development from the anticipated vacancies list; you still have to wait for the computer you select your name for an apartment since there are other people waiting on there list who probably have a higher priority and earlier certification date. As for Section 8 it was quicker, but as you know the section 8 list is closed at nycha, and only open to homeless in a selter or domestic violence.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:07 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,605,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesnes69 View Post
Hi everyone!
I have a NYCHA section 8 voucher and I applyed to one of NYCHA buildings which is Marlboro houses. I applyed on April 23rd 2009 and I recieved a notice on April 29th 2009 saying that I was approve for a two bedroom apartment and I will be notified when an apartment becomes available. I wanted to know if anyone knows maybe how long that wait will be? And if there is anything that I can do to speed up that process or a number I can call to find out how long that wait will be. I called Marlboro management and they do not know anything. Any help please!!!
I'm confused...I thought Section 8 was for non-project residency, as in regular apts that accept Section 8. If it's the latter, what one would do, I believe, is check the papers (i.e. NY Daily News, Post, whatever) and look for ones that say "Programs ok" or "Section 8 ok." The only catch is that there are fewer vacancies for studios because a lot of Section 8s are (or so I've heard) intended for women with children in abusive relationships.

As for a waiting list for any kind of other housing, whether it be NYCHA, Mitchell Lama, etc...well, it's a waiting list, and the waiting times would be approximate, esp if the residents have no place else to move to.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:07 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,890,221 times
^NYCHA has been chronically underfunded for years. They began accepting section 8 vouchers sometime ago to receive more funding. The resident probably pays about the same that they would have either way, but NYCHA gets more money inflow for a unit that has the government portion paid by section 8.

The aggregate effect of this, though, is, of course, there is less low cost housing in the city. That is good or bad, depending on your perspective and beliefs.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:08 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,890,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
Random question..but can I ask why anyone who makes over 40k a year needs a section 8 voucher....or needs to wait for 3 years on an NYCHA list? I make less than that and still manage. I'm not fimiliar with the system though..so maybe there is something that I am missing. It seems like this question is being asked a lot on here....?
NYCHA is very wisely trying to diversify the socio-economic statuses of its residents. It's good for everyone involved.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 26,776 times
i also have been waiting 10 years for housing i had to change my housing listing because i waited 5 years and they had no vacancy so then when i changed the project site they jus sn me a letter telling me that they have my papers and that they are just waiting for a two bedroom t be avaliable i call every week every monday and they tell me the same thing we have no new information i moved from the bronx to a shelter to queens and still waiting i hope they call me soon im STRESSED OUT

Old 05-16-2010, 07:38 PM

8 posts, read 97,077 times
I put in my application for nycha in Jan- Feb. and I got my interview for June 2. My question is I have a son but he is still a baby will nycha give me a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom. And how old does your son have to be in order to get a 2 bedroom. I have read a bunch of ur posts and it really helped me a lot so hopefully all u guys can help me again. Do u guys know any projects by Bed-Stuy that are any good.

Last edited by Nu Nu1989; 05-16-2010 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery