Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:11 PM

13 posts, read 91,688 times

Advertisements

in response to the question about your son, they might give you a 1 bedroom. a girlfriend of mine has a 1 bedroom with her son, she had another baby ,put in for a transfer years ago. for a two bdrm, and still hasnt gotten the transfer. so now she is 3 people in a 1 bdrm, and housing is just sitting with her application.

average wait for housing, from people that i know, which are many is 5 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,879 times
nycha is crazy. I APPLIED IN FEB 2007, AND I WAS LIVING IN A SHELTER AT THE TIME. I GOT A LETTER IN AUG.2010 SAYING THAT THEY HAD 3 BEDROOM APTS. AVAILABLE AT CASTLE HILL AND IF I WAS INTRESTED. OF COURSE I REPLIED ASAP> HAD AN INTERVIEW IN OCT. I CHECKED MY STATUS IN FEB. AND THYE SAID THAT MY APPLICATION HAS BEEN CERTIFIED AND SENT TO THE DEVELOPMENT. NOW I CALLING DEVELOPMENT AND THEY TELLING NOW IM ON THEIR WAITING LIST. THIS IS A DAMN SHAME , Y DO I Have to wait for something they offered me and told me was already available

Old 02-12-2011, 12:23 PM

82 posts, read 175,680 times
My grandmother was living in red hook and put in for a transfer to a 1 bedroom apartment in 2006 after my grandfather passed away.
She finally moved to her new apartment in Samuel gompers in 2010.
Nycha sucks balls.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:31 AM

2 posts, read 9,539 times
im soooooo sick and tired of waiting for housing, its about to be a year,and i call 4 my status all the time and nothing has changed , this is crazy.it seems like the people that work dot get call 4 housing only the ones thats on section 8 and others. i hope they contact me soon.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:53 PM

337 posts, read 969,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
Random question..but can I ask why anyone who makes over 40k a year needs a section 8 voucher....or needs to wait for 3 years on an NYCHA list? I make less than that and still manage. I'm not fimiliar with the system though..so maybe there is something that I am missing. It seems like this question is being asked a lot on here....?
Great question. And why would anyone want to live in the projects. You will will live among people who don't work and urinate in the elevators. Check the stats on the number of sex offenders who live in the projects. When I was in high school I had a friend who lived in the projects. We played on the baseball team and sometimes I would stop by his house after practice. His mom was a druggie and the whole environment was awful. The kids in the projects are almost destined for failure. You have teenagers loitering and unemployed men and women walking around all day.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 PM

884 posts, read 1,373,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
The kids in the projects are almost destined for failure. You have teenagers loitering and unemployed men and women walking around all day.
I couldnt disagree with this statement more! i personally have never lived in a housing project but have many friends who grew up in them and were NOT destined for failure. We all went to the same schools and college together and are successful young 20 somethings. I'm not saying that there isn't a host of bad influences in many projects because there certainly is, but where you live doesn't have to define who you become in life that's a crock of 5h!t!

everyone's mom in the projects isn't a "druggie" like your friend's mom was and many families may have had to move into the projects under extenuating circumstances. i applied to housing as a plan C or D a few years ago because rents are getting insanely high in ny, even on my middle working income, you can just barely make ends meet paying the rent along with other utilities. what happened to being able to save and have vacation money? it's like you're working to pay the bill collector. so if you want to stay in ny and have an apt that is affordable, and you arent successful with those lotteries housing is another option, no judgements passed here!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:38 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
I couldnt disagree with this statement more! i personally have never lived in a housing project but have many friends who grew up in them and were NOT destined for failure. We all went to the same schools and college together and are successful young 20 somethings. I'm not saying that there isn't a host of bad influences in many projects because there certainly is, but where you live doesn't have to define who you become in life that's a crock of 5h!t!

everyone's mom in the projects isn't a "druggie" like your friend's mom was and many families may have had to move into the projects under extenuating circumstances. i applied to housing as a plan C or D a few years ago because rents are getting insanely high in ny, even on my middle working income, you can just barely make ends meet paying the rent along with other utilities. what happened to being able to save and have vacation money? it's like you're working to pay the bill collector. so if you want to stay in ny and have an apt that is affordable, and you arent successful with those lotteries housing is another option, no judgements passed here!
He does have a point though. I could probably count on one hand all of the decent PJs that are in the city, the vast majority of them however are horrible. I used to live in Rangel Houses in Harlem, plus I grew up in the Bronx and I just don't understand why people are willing to wait a decade to get into a glorified shelter. The quality of life stinks so even if your on the "Straight and narrow", being surrounded by that much poverty and hopelessness will definitely affect your self-esteem, it's depressing. If you're single with no kids, I would get a room if you're down on your luck. Or better yet, just move out of NY altogether. 40,000 goes sooo much further out of state. There are options.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:41 AM

9 posts, read 34,560 times
Well where can I find the dam queens Boro president so I can make a complaint about my long waiting for nycha and I'm a domestic violence victim.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:47 AM

9 posts, read 34,560 times
I put my application in for housing in 08...I'm priority N1 and I'm still waiting and its 2011 now. Smfh!!! Can someone tell me about that Staten island outreach program?

Old 04-01-2012, 12:39 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesnes69 View Post
Oh wow, I hope they call me pretty quick. Waiting 4 years is a pretty long time and I'm in need now.
In terms of section 8, 4 years is not long at all.... waiting lists can be 15-20 years for big cities. Find a small town with a small waiting list and apply there. After living there for a while you will have the chance to "port-in" to NYCHA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery