Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:16 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Yeah, but wasn't that you like, 2 years ago?
No I never visited Soho when I came on vacation. It was always me and my mom and maybe 1 other person so no circles. They have H&M where I come from also. Also I was a fast walker my whole life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 04:33 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
No I never visited Soho when I came on vacation. It was always me and my mom and maybe 1 other person so no circles. They have H&M where I come from also. Also I was a fast walker my whole life.
My comment was light-hearted and made in good fun, but in all honesty most people like you who move here from the midwest claim they are "NYers" and poke fun at tourists after about 6 months of living here. Meanwhile, to the people that have lived here their whole lives, after 2 or 3 years of living here YOU are still a "tourist".

Old 06-17-2010, 04:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
My comment was light-hearted and made in good fun, but in all honesty most people like you who move here from the midwest claim they are "NYers" and poke fun at tourists after about 6 months of living here. Meanwhile, to the people that have lived here their whole lives, after 2 or 3 years of living here YOU are still a "tourist".
No need for the hostility. Ohiogirl has given some excellent advice on this forum and she may be a recent arrival but she is certainly not a tourist.

To the OP- I would recommend staying out of Times Square, especially after your comment about New Orleans and the $8 beers.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:59 PM

218 posts, read 741,248 times
I'll just throw this into the mix, because it pertains to the topic, in regards to the "authentic" NYC experience...

When I took my first trip to NYC in 2004, I had done all the touristy things, but I wanted to get a feel for the "real" city. So, on my last day, I wound up standing on the corner of West 33rd and 8th, at MSG, and looked around a bit, and decided to just pick a direction, and start walking... simple as that, and see where it took me, lol.

So, I ended up walking down 8th Avenue, and before too long, I was leaving the hustle and bustle of Midtown, and saw New Yorkers going about their daily business, walking, jogging, riding bicycles, whatever. I soon began to see the trademark NYC brick apartments on tree-lined streets, and a few brownstones. I went through Greenwich Village, and had lunch at a nice and VERY quiet deli, and it was all very relaxing.

After my lunch, I continued down 8th Avenue, and long story short... I ended my journey at the intersection of Hudson and Canal, right by the Holland Tunnel. I remember I called my dad from a payphone there (this was before I had my cellphone), and told him about my walk. After that, I looked at my watch, and I had been walking for a couple hours, lol... so I decided to make my way back uptown.

But the point of this story is that by just randomly choosing a direction, and just going in it... I saw a slice of the "real" NYC, without my tourist map or spending any money... my walk was free, very relaxing, and educational... I saw some absolutely beautiful neighborhoods, saw the locals as they are, and had a very nice lunch that was under $8.00, and in a very quiet and relaxing environment, without the massive hustle and bustle of Times Square. And it was fun.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:03 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAdama View Post
I'll just throw this into the mix, because it pertains to the topic, in regards to the "authentic" NYC experience...

When I took my first trip to NYC in 2004, I had done all the touristy things, but I wanted to get a feel for the "real" city. So, on my last day, I wound up standing on the corner of West 33rd and 8th, at MSG, and looked around a bit, and decided to just pick a direction, and start walking... simple as that, and see where it took me, lol.

So, I ended up walking down 8th Avenue, and before too long, I was leaving the hustle and bustle of Midtown, and saw New Yorkers going about their daily business, walking, jogging, riding bicycles, whatever. I soon began to see the trademark NYC brick apartments on tree-lined streets, and a few brownstones. I went through Greenwich Village, and had lunch at a nice and VERY quiet deli, and it was all very relaxing.

After my lunch, I continued down 8th Avenue, and long story short... I ended my journey at the intersection of Hudson and Canal, right by the Holland Tunnel. I remember I called my dad from a payphone there (this was before I had my cellphone), and told him about my walk. After that, I looked at my watch, and I had been walking for a couple hours, lol... so I decided to make my way back uptown.

But the point of this story is that by just randomly choosing a direction, and just going in it... I saw a slice of the "real" NYC, without my tourist map or spending any money... my walk was free, very relaxing, and educational... I saw some absolutely beautiful neighborhoods, saw the locals as they are, and had a very nice lunch that was under $8.00, and in a very quiet and relaxing environment, without the massive hustle and bustle of Times Square. And it was fun.

i see what you're saying, but as KONY alluded to before, all of it is the real NYC. Times Square is as much NYC as a cool little underground bar on Spring St. that area is still insane for NY'rs..sometimes you need that fix. well, unless you live in that neighborhood. then not so much fun

Old 06-17-2010, 05:05 PM

218 posts, read 741,248 times
That's true... but Times Square is designed to bring in tourist money... culturally, it's pretty manufactured... it's all shopping, dining, hotels, and street performers. If you want "every day life" kind of culture, I'd go elsewhere than Times Square.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:07 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
good point

Old 06-17-2010, 05:11 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAdama View Post
So, on my last day, I wound up standing on the corner of West 33rd and 8th, at MSG, and looked around a bit, and decided to just pick a direction, and start walking... simple as that, and see where it took me.
I recommend doing that in the south bronx at 12am aswell

Old 06-17-2010, 05:13 PM

11 posts, read 35,360 times
Hey guys, I hope my $8 beer didn't give you the wrong impression. I know NYC is expensive. I was just pointing out the tourist trap element of New Orleans. An $8 Bud Light and a band playing music you could hear anywhere vs. some great local music you can't hear everywhere and a $5 microbrew.

Like I said, we'll definitely go to Times Square and see it, but I really think staying in another part of town is the way to go. I definitely want to see different parts. I am visiting Sadowsky Guitars in Brooklyn, so it will be a good chance that day to have lunch in Brooklyn and see the sights there as well. I'd also like to see some of the other neighborhoods too.

Everyone's great feedback is really appreciated!!!!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA Bass View Post
Hey guys, I hope my $8 beer didn't give you the wrong impression. I know NYC is expensive. I was just pointing out the tourist trap element of New Orleans. An $8 Bud Light and a band playing music you could hear anywhere vs. some great local music you can't hear everywhere and a $5 microbrew.
I got what you were trying to say with the $8 beer in New Orleans comment, and I appreciate that you want to stay out of the tourist trap that is Times Square. I think Times Square is a must for a visit but I personally prefer slightly quieter areas with nice cafes and restaurants that are not all catering to tourists. That's why I chose Soho (for you!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City