Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I think Victorfox should visit Southie in Boston, Southie in Boston is the poorest white niegborhood in an urban setting in the United States. I heard from some people saying that Southie is more poor then the South Bronx and East New York.
This information is about 30 years out of date.While there are still a few projects in South Boston it has undergone a viral gentrification in the last 15 or 20 years.Condos in Southie now sell for between 1/2 M and 1M and houses sell for 2 M or more.

From Wiki:"South Boston is a densely populated neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts, located south and east of the Fort Point Channel and abutting Dorchester Bay. It was formerly known as Dorchester Neck and today is referred to as "Southie" by its residents. South Boston is well-known for being a working class Irish-American neighborhood. The neighborhood is also home to the Boston area's small but vibrant Polish and Lithuanian communities. The reality of South Boston has changed drastically in recent years as property values, especially in the City Point neighborhood near Castle Island, have risen to the level of some of the highest in the city."
South Boston, Boston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I was growing up in Boston what you say was true but not any more.
You are right though,it used to be a really good example of a white ghetto.
There are no white ghettos left in Boston.Gentrification took them all out.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:23 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I don't think he is necessarily racist and hypocritical, he just has had no/limited experiences outside of a 6 block radius it sounds like. If all you see are brown and black people who are poor and ghetto, you tend to believe that is how they all are. And if all you see are wealthy white people who live in very expensive neighborhoods, then you think all white people are that way too. Neither view is right outside of NYC, but unfortunately, it tends to be the case here because of the demographics and the way the social changes occured. The reality is NYC doesn't represent anything other than NYC, and if you understand the history and changes, you realize why there are certain groups here, classes, and behaviors.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:26 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This is off topic...but Victor just so you know..the poor/working class whites (which are no different than poor/working class colored folks) left NYC in droves, and the ones that remained were the wealthier ones that could shield themselves from all the social upheavel of the 50s thru 80s. What we have left is no more representative of white people than the poor colored folks are representative of colored folks. The whites in NYC today are NOT representative of whites historically in NYC (poor and downright destitute), nor are they representative of whites in the country as a whole. Nobody goes to see the poverty of Appalachia to see an example of typical white people in America, and nobody goes to the inner Harlem to see typical Black person either.

Your viewpoint is skewed based on where you live...if you traveled outside of the metropolitan area, I suspect your opinions would change quite drastically on most things. You should travel more....your central Bronx life is representative of nothing more than poverty....which has no color.
Sobro... I totally understand your point and I achknowlege that ghetto white people exist more so in other states. I see the show cops all the time as well as those other cops shows on cable and I see the white trailer trash thats out there in the US. But I don't care about other states, I care about NYC! Everything I say is NYC related and based on my observation as a native NYer from the Bronx who desires to have NYC but particularily the Bronx as a desirable place to live.

Coming from the Bronx, the way I see it is, if Riverdale which is part of the Bronx can presever their desirable neighborhood for decades by NOT letting just anyone move into their tight knit neighborhood, why can't the rest of the Bronx. Why is riverdale's standards higher than the rest of the Bronx? The funny thing is that if you look at the history of the Bronx, you'll see that the Bronx was called "The Bronx" because it was initially considered a higher class borough where all the jews lived.

Fast forward to the 50's but really more in the 60's and beyond when the great migration of blacks occurred in the Bronx and BAM! "There goes the neighborhood". It was downhill from there.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:29 PM

244 posts, read 568,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
dc90, what drug were you on when you were in san jose. Dt san jose's downtown is one of the best downtowns in the u.s., and santana row was more fun than london, proclaimed an english visitor. Even new yorkers were jeolous of santana row and saying, "i wish we had one like this" san jose was recently dubbed as 3rd most fun city in the u.s. By crutium. Time warner center is a boring yupping/struggling shopping hangout by central park. Oh, washington dc is a ghetto hangout with slums all around the white house, and downtown dc is a ghost town disaster even with the arena there. Dc90, just hang out in george town, which is the only nice thing about washington dc. If you want laughter, look at your hamlet, dirty city and laugh! San jose pop:1,000,000 and washington pop:594,000. San jose: The capital of silicon valley. Washington: U.s capitol with only government jobs. No skyline in washington dc. Like new york city, washington is very, very boring and filthy. It's unforturnate that's washington dc is the capitol of our beloving country, but it's embarrassment to us all because of the shape city is in: Gangs run wild and killing people and littering the streets. I can understand the conditions of the city can cloud your thoughts and make you backward thinking as we were in the 70's when san jose was a joke.
It's hard to read your poorly written responses (say it with me.... grammar and punctuation), but did you really just say that ugly San Jose is more fun and better than NYC and London? Someone clearly has a strange sense of humor!

Yes, and those millions tourists who make NYC and London the most visited cities in the wotld (and continually ranked the best cities in the world by travel surveys such as in The world's greatest city? - Time Out Travel and American travelers rank Favorite and Least Favorite Cities are all obviously dumb and don't know what they're missing in........San Jose.

San Jose = an ugly colonial outpost for Indian tech workers. San Jose isn't any more fun or better than Oklahoma City.

Last edited by DC90; 07-14-2010 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Sobro... I totally understand your point and I achknowlege that ghetto white people exist more so in other states. I see the show cops all the time as well as those other cops shows on cable and I see the white trailer trash thats out there in the US. But I don't care about other states, I care about NYC! Everything I say is NYC related and based on my observation as a native NYer from the Bronx who desires to have NYC but particularily the Bronx as a desirable place to live.

Coming from the Bronx, the way I see it is, if Riverdale which is part of the Bronx can presever their desirable neighborhood for decades by NOT letting just anyone move into their tight knit neighborhood, why can't the rest of the Bronx. Why is riverdale's standards higher than the rest of the Bronx? The funny thing is that if you look at the history of the Bronx, you'll see that the Bronx was called "The Bronx" because it was initially considered a higher class borough where all the jews lived.

Fast forward to the 50's but really more in the 60's and beyond when the great migration of blacks occurred in the Bronx and BAM! "There goes the neighborhood". It was downhill from there.
you just said that you know the issues of your own latino people.

but then write "then blacks moved in"

are you retarded or do you not know that the bronx and all of its ghettos are majority hispanic???

and all the ghettos in the south bronx have been majority hispanic for quite a while now.

the north bronx which is majority black is more desirable then all the areas of the south bronx which is majority latino.

this latino is a self hating racist goof.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 PM

160 posts, read 1,679,338 times
...its like victor sees nothing but poor blacks, but his own race he ignores

Last edited by overdose; 07-14-2010 at 03:47 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If all you see are brown and black people who are poor and ghetto, you tend to believe that is how they all are. And if all you see are wealthy white people who live in very expensive neighborhoods, then you think all white people are that way too. Neither view is right outside of NYC, but unfortunately, it tends to be the case here because of the demographics and the way the social changes occured.
This is true. It is also the best reason to get outside of one's radius to have a better perspective.

It will be very interesting to see the 2010 Census data because it will show the major demographic shifts over the past 10 years. Some things I am interested in are:

-Will there be fewer middle class blacks and latinos?
-More working class and poor blacks and latinos?
-More upper middle class, non-Hispanic whites?
-More Asians in formerly non-Hispanic white neighborhoods?

We'll see.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
...its like victor sees nothing but poor blacks, but his own race
that goof just claimed he knows the ignorant issues of his own latino people , but then goes off and says blacks ruined the bronx.

what the hell the bronx is majority hispanic just like all the ghettos are majority hispanic.

when ever you take the2,4,5 trains in the bronx you see dominican and puerto rican flags everywhere lol.

not stereotyping the latino brothers but simply saying if you go to the south bronx you will think its hispanic more then black.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:23 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,344 times
DC90, I guess you haven't been to San Jose at all or not since 1980's when the city was improving itself. San Jose's like Oklahoma City, Birmingham, Ala or Abuquerque? Then Washington DC is like Detroit and East St. Louis, Mo. San Jose is beautiful and vibrant that takes on New York City anytime with packs of things to do. New York is only limited Grewich Village, Soho, Times Square, EastVillage(Little Itali), West Village, 5th Ave shopping and Upper Manhattan. That's it and it gets old real fast! If you're gay, and into dying fashion industry, then New York could be ok. For everyone else, except for tourists, New York City is boring but not as bad as Washington DC. There's a crappy downtown in NYC, where 9/11 is Maybe some fools like NYC but not me. I don't know about that. I'm sure not the only one who think New York City is overrated and boring. You can like it, DC90, and have it. I guess we agree to disagree to end this silly thread. I check out, and I'm not convinced. I've been to the "Apple" many times since 1978 and know this city to the back of my head. Where's Grand Prix, Olympic, Star Trek exhibit, Leonard Di Vinci exhibit, tour of New York bike race, until 2012, Superbowl, and gallery walk with all the food, music, drinks and art every month in New York? How about the X games? Nothing doing in New York City. It's just the city with noisy energy. Quality of life in New York City stinks like crap, even for the rich people. Sorry.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:05 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
The problem with NYC is the high taxes, that is what is going to kill the city not yuppies.

How else are they going to fund the public servants who get pensions padded with overtime in the last few years. What a scam. NYC is going bankrupt unless they clean up their act.

Look at why Lebron chose Miami instead of NYC, he saved ~20 million in taxes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City