Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 PM

65 posts, read 186,620 times

Advertisements

I'll take yuppies and hipsters wielding their Starbucks cups any day instead of the dealers and gangbangers, wielding bats and knives, who ruled my block in the Heights in the mid 80s.
Just my 2 cents. I think NYC has change for the better exponentially

Old 07-01-2010, 09:23 PM

65 posts, read 186,620 times
changed

Old 07-01-2010, 10:19 PM

127 posts, read 507,256 times
ok then how about new york in the 40s.
I heard it was good without all the crime.
wasnt around to see it though.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 PM

47 posts, read 210,297 times
The 50s were great economically, but so-so demographically. There was blatant racism back then and the city was extremely segregated. I like the fact that I can go into any neighborhood without the expectation of being chased out by a group of a people of opposite melanin.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:57 PM

615 posts, read 545,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjay114 View Post
The 50s were great economically, but so-so demographically. There was blatant racism back then and the city was extremely segregated. I like the fact that I can go into any neighborhood without the expectation of being chased out by a group of a people of opposite melanin.
Segregation is pretty natural, people tend to congregate around those they are similar to. A Muslim cab driver from Pakistan isn't gonna get on well with a Puerto Rican guy who drinks Millers on his stoop better then another Pakistani, and vice versa.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:39 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
I wrote something similar to this in a thread about diversity in NYC. I noticed when I was traveling around NYC a couple months ago there seemed to be few neighborhoods, just white yuppies, and recent immigrants there for a pit stop. There was no real community, but a sterile enviorment you find in suburbia where people barely know their neighbors.
There is only community when your with your own click or kind, but I do agree in some areas there is no real sense of community because of stratified income class and sometimes race. This is why I say that nyc is no utopia, probably more closer in a real sense of a dystopia.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:53 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
The old school NY still exists in the hispanic/asian/caribbean immigrant hoods. Same hustle and same flavor, just different cultures. Everyone wants the old school ethnic Italian/Jew/Irish/Black/PR NY back but it's gone. It's not all the yups fault either since the schools are in the toilet and most of those old groups want the good life in the suburbs.

Living in a city still struggling with a considerable crime and urban degregation problem (Philadelphia), NYers should be proud and thankful to have a city that so many people want to live in and look up to. Rather yuppies than gangbangers.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:38 AM

127 posts, read 507,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
The old school NY still exists in the hispanic/asian/caribbean immigrant hoods. Same hustle and same flavor, just different cultures. Everyone wants the old school ethnic Italian/Jew/Irish/Black/PR NY back but it's gone. It's not all the yups fault either since the schools are in the toilet and most of those old groups want the good life in the suburbs.

Living in a city still struggling with a considerable crime and urban degregation problem (Philadelphia), NYers should be proud and thankful to have a city that so many people want to live in and look up to. Rather yuppies than gangbangers.
But the main problem for me id that even the ghetto is overpriced.
Its like $350,000+ to buy a house in south side Jamaica,queens
where in Philadelphia it would cost closer to $40,000 to live in a similar neighborhood.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:47 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
But the main problem for me id that even the ghetto is overpriced.
Its like $350,000+ to buy a house in south side Jamaica,queens
where in Philadelphia it would cost closer to $40,000 to live in a similar neighborhood.
Maybe that's why Philadelphia has such a huge crime problem compared to NYC.It's so cheap that all the low life's can live there.
Let 'em live there and not here.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:21 AM

142 posts, read 418,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
ok then how about new york in the 40s.
I heard it was good without all the crime.
wasnt around to see it though.
It was even better with all the racism and sexism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City