Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:49 PM

527 posts, read 1,020,348 times

Advertisements

Hi Harlemnewbie- I think bmwguydc gave you some great advice- I say give it some more time, 3 months is nothing- You need to have something under your belt before you make a full decision- Its rough right now, Sure, but hey, you are just starting out, get your feet wet - Hang in there- You made this huge move already that big step has already been taken, Give yourself at Least a year before deciding. Good luck in your adventure!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:44 AM

11 posts, read 55,685 times
Default So...

...what was the final taffy?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:46 PM

38 posts, read 124,878 times
It's hard moving away from your family and dogs. I went through a little depression about it when I first moved out here too. But then you build a life of your own and maybe even meet the greatest gf/bf ever. It happened to me and can happen to you too. I call/visit my family often, that's the only medicine for missing them!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 PM

594 posts, read 1,635,036 times
Wait a minute, you've only been there since April?? 3 months??? Your other thread made it sound like you'd been suffering there for years on end!!

Give yourself a good kick in the rear end and keep going, it's waaaay too early to let New York beat you.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,277 times
Default Free room

If ur looking for free room and board let me know. We r two professionals and have a beautiful house. In the jersey shore.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:26 PM

979 posts, read 4,458,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy14 View Post
If ur looking for free room and board let me know. We r two professionals and have a beautiful house. In the jersey shore.
Which exit do I get off at?

Old 12-25-2010, 09:22 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
But maybe conducting one in front of another person who can provide some concrete insight would do me well... I think the competition is one issue I am facing, also that I have an underlying bitterness about all that I've been through. I try to mask it, as I know it is unattractive. But there is only so much acting you can do, and most intelligent people can read through you.
Conducting interviews with other people might also help in the way that you get to know yourself better by interviewing with people who aren't actually hiring you. It can also give you practice and make you less nervous when you go on real interviews. You might think up answers to common questions someone might shoot out of the blue at you too. I know what it's like though to be bitter about your situation too. I haven't been on a job interview in over a year and am also working a menial job. The thought of going on another interview makes me ill. Good luck to you.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:26 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,573,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
I am debating whether or not I should stay here in New York City, or if I should move back home to Michigan. I came here in April, after completing my bachelor's in psychology and getting paralegal certification. I have been waiting tables since then, making about $2K per month after taxes. My living expenses are about $1250 a month total, but I have no quality of life and am basically just "scraping by". I keep applying for paralegal positions, executive assistant positions, etc. and have been on about a dozen interviews. I had one offer, for the princely sum of 20K a year, no benefits, at a real estate firm downtown. Yes, I am not making this up. 20K a year for a job that requires education in the most expensive city in the country. I am just really sick of waiting tables and living this miserable, half-assed lifestyle where I'm not sure how much I'm making from one week to the next, having uppity Manhattanite women look at me like I'm scum on the bottom of their Manolos. I miss my family. I miss my dog. But there are no jobs in Michigan either, so I really don't know what I would be going back to. I just feel so... lost. Hopeless. What should I do?
Damn man, sounds like a bummer, but at lease you are not homeless. I say stay in New York & compete. Things could be worse. Just keep pushing man.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:27 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,573,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington22 View Post
Another one bites the dust.
It ain't all fun and games here.
Do yourself a favor and leave.
This place works for some people, but fails for most.
Good luck-
Forget about it and move on.
This is true New York right here lol.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:33 PM

11 posts, read 25,339 times
Actually $2000K take home pay each month - with more than likely no taxes since it's mostly in tips is pretty good. I know quite a few people who would love to take that home. At this point you've probably been here 9 months...so here goes on the advice.

I don't know if you studied the legal industry outlook before you moved, but with the economy like it is, a lot of lawyers got laid off - meaning you're competing with probably 3x as many people for the same positions.

Why don't you consider temping? There are a TON of temp agencies in NYC and often when you temp, you can get hired on for better positions. Likewise, don't be afraid of admin jobs. I can definitely attest to the fact that if you find the right company, an admin position is a jumping off point for a better position within the company. For a time, I worked for a marketing med-ed firm and started out as the admin - 9 months later I was promoted to a project coordinator. So, as long as you look at the position as a jumping off point to your career (and not just a job that helps you get by) you can turn what might seem like a low-pay/dead-end job into something better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City