Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:46 AM

203 posts, read 664,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
True, it is for the first year only, HOWEVER, say you have kids and a wife? What then? You can't expect them to live of that salary. Its not just the fire department and the police, its every blue collar job. You need a lower class to do your blue collar jobs. A city can't function without it.
I agree with UrbanAdventurer. Also, as with many entry level salaries, it is a little low and it is hard to raise a family with that salary. But once you move up, they have great benefits, salary is good and great retirement plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:07 AM

20 posts, read 108,798 times
now i could see if you said guiliani, but bloomberg? the only time new york city has been great throughout history is hwn they have had ITALIAN mayors. go look it up!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:18 PM

160 posts, read 1,679,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny come lately View Post
I like Mayor Bloomberg, and I am an Independent voter. I think he has been good for New York City. NYC has TOO MANY poor people, and you cannot run a city of this magnitude with poor people only, that take, take, and take, most of the time. ...............

We need to have all three classes, but let's be fair: The rich are the ones that INVEST and bring business to the City. So, yes, they can have Manhattan...........and let's us send the poor people to New Jersey, since half of New Jersey people work in NYC, and they take more from NYC, than they bring in................ Also, New Jersey has LOADS of apartments........
wow...your sick. So sick, I'm not EVEN going to bother to argue with you. Seriously...wow. Have you ever even been poor??? you sound like someone from the damn far right.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
lol@ anyone wanting Bloomberg here for life.

He was OK for a while but he has slowly stripped the city of the middle class and turned this place into the rich man's playground. Not to mention the nanny state this guy created. And the gold star on his resume has to be his ability to overturn the term limits after TWO public referendums that said otherwise.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:06 AM

17 posts, read 48,435 times
Bloomberg is NYC's best mayor to date.

I wish he would be could run again (and again, and again).

Old 09-14-2010, 06:56 AM

461 posts, read 2,000,618 times
Quote:
I like Mayor Bloomberg, and I am an Independent voter. I think he has been good for New York City. NYC has TOO MANY poor people, and you cannot run a city of this magnitude with poor people only, that take, take, and take, most of the time. ...............

We need to have all three classes, but let's be fair: The rich are the ones that INVEST and bring business to the City. So, yes, they can have Manhattan...........and let's us send the poor people to New Jersey, since half of New Jersey people work in NYC, and they take more from NYC, than they bring in................ Also, New Jersey has LOADS of apartments........
I totally agree. Last time I checked, NYC consist of ALL 5 boroughs, not just Manhattan. Yes Manhattan is expensive and has many wealthy people residing in it but just because you live in Manhattan doesn't mean the same issues exist in the other 4 boroughs.

If you were to look at a map of NYC which includes all 5 boroughs that has all the districts outlined, you would see that the MAJORITY of the districts are NOT wealthy as many Bloomberg haters rant about but you would see mainly lower-class neighborhoods. Rich people make up a very small percent of the entire NYC population (all 5 boroughs). Even the land mass of wealthy NYC neighborhoods is tiny compared to the land mass of low income/ghetto neighborhoods.

When you compare wealthy and low income/ghetto neighborhoods in square mileage, ghetto neighborhoods CONSUME and CLAIM way more square miles than wealthy neighborhoods by a long shot. Low income/ghetto people have more territory than wealthy people in NYC yet these people have the NERVE to complain. Not to mention low income/ghetto people put a strain on the City's resources with all those damn liberal public assistance programs and rent programs like Section 8 among several others.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:45 AM

7 posts, read 6,489 times
Cool CaliYork

Since you were basically a tourist here, I can understand your fascination with new york. Howev er saying that bloomberg beautified new york is a joke. Apparently you are not aware of the way these things have came to pass. Constant property tax increases have been the main drive, or maybe you don't think double digit tax increases don't do anything? Creating housing for middle class, Just another illusion. Do you really consider a family of 4 making $50,000.00 is middle class? Maybe if there were no taxes being taken out of your check, could a family of 4 survive on that income. That housing is restricted to those making under $50,000.00 a year, anything more does not qualify. Those parks are beautified only in manhattan, while the outter boroughs get whatever is left over.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:17 AM

7 posts, read 6,489 times
Cool Mayor bloomberg for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Hahahahahahahaha!!!! And I could laugh for life at this post!
You are sick if you think an ignorant individual that can declare himself the only person who can get new york out of this economic mess. Bloomberg ignored a voter refferendum
& decided to do whatever he wants because he bought himself an election. & why should the rich have manhattan all to themselves? This borough was built on the backs of middle class workers. Of course if the idea is to put the rich all on manhattan before it sinks, then I'm all for it. As far as the Btonx being primarily poor, you should check out the Riverdale,Pelham & Throggs neck sections as well as city island areas before you talk.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:43 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
and let's us send the poor people to New Jersey, since half of New Jersey people work in NYC, and they take more from NYC, than they bring in................ Also, New Jersey has LOADS of apartments........
Another provincial NY'er? How avant garde of you.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:56 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,865 times
Well, maybe not for life. But should he be allowed to run for a fourth term? Why not?

He's been great for the city. Other politicians start out poor, win elections, make money, and screw the public, Bloomberg started out rich, and then spent money in order to win elections and serve the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City