Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 PM

285 posts, read 861,696 times

Advertisements

My younger cousin has been accepted into an internship program that she begins this fall. She will be living in the Bronx, on E. Tremont Avenue near Grand Concourse.

I'm familiar w/ Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens, but don't really know much about the Bronx. What neighborhood is that address? How is it, mostly as far as safety? I will likely be coming up to help her settle in - I have lived in large cities and "rougher" neighborhoods, and I am fairly familiar with New York. She, however, grew up on a farm in rural PA and this is her first time away from home. Will she be safe there as long as she uses common sense (try not to be alone at night, walk confidently, be attentive to surroundings, etc)? Anything we need to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 11:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
IF anything she should try the neigborhoods south way south of east tremont on the grand concourse. Or maybe the niegborhoods way way north of east tremont on the grand concourse cornering moshulu parkway. East tremont intersecting the grand concousre is a sketchy area and the niegborhoods west of grand concourse along east tremont is very unsafe. Lots drugs and gang activity either by Bloods or Dominican gangs such as Trinitario or DDP frequent the area. Your friend moving from a rural PA farm to Morris Hieghts section of the Bronx is like needle moving into an haystack. Tell your friend to use caution and if she wants she should try to move along the Grand Concourse and the 160s or by Kingsbridge and Norwood along the Grand Concourse. Any way thats my two cents.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 AM

461 posts, read 1,999,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate88 View Post
My younger cousin has been accepted into an internship program that she begins this fall. She will be living in the Bronx, on E. Tremont Avenue near Grand Concourse.

I'm familiar w/ Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens, but don't really know much about the Bronx. What neighborhood is that address? How is it, mostly as far as safety? I will likely be coming up to help her settle in - I have lived in large cities and "rougher" neighborhoods, and I am fairly familiar with New York. She, however, grew up on a farm in rural PA and this is her first time away from home. Will she be safe there as long as she uses common sense (try not to be alone at night, walk confidently, be attentive to surroundings, etc)? Anything we need to know?
It may be culture shock for her coming from a farm into a ghetto section of the city. That area is a very low income area with a lot of low class people hanging out outside with nothing better to do.. They are trying to bring up that area via rezoning but as of now, the area still looks a bit run down. I believe there are several drug rehab and methadone clinics in that area so you will see people walking around like zombies. But of coarse, if she minds her business and doesn't look like an easy prey, then she'll be fine.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:00 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
It's a rough neighborhood. So she should have her guard up at all times. Especially coming late from somewhere.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:04 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default The Concourse

is only good, especially for someone from those surroundings, above Bedford Park.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 PM

285 posts, read 861,696 times
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I plan on giving her a crash course on "city safety", just wanted to know what she was in for. I wish she was able to live somewhere a little safer just because she is a bit naive, but the program she is doing has dorm style housing in that area she has to live in.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,925 times
I would recommend she picks another area if she must live in the Bronx. That's consider the South Bronx and, although is not as bad as it used to be, it's not great. During the day she shouldn't have any problems. Naive is NOT the way to be in the South Bronx. If she must live in the Bronx, she should try out other areas (listed from $$$ to $): Riverdale, Woodlawn, Pelham Parkway.. otherwise, Washington Heights in Manhattan although it's not cheap anymore.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:22 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default yeah i was thinking

even a place like Bedford park or Norwood, tho better than E Tremont, not sure how comfortable she would feel in an area that's still block after block of apartments and tenements

Riverdale or Woodlawn would seem more accomodating to a more rural type

Old 08-25-2010, 11:10 PM

8 posts, read 30,972 times
i got shot on 167 and the grand concourse. if she is white, i would tell you NOT to have her move there. thats not the place for her. no racist intentions but im from the inner city and i got shot out there. why bother

Old 08-26-2010, 02:26 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
The niegborhoods between 167 and grandconcourse stretching up to bedford park boulevard and grand concourse is not safe while some can be so so. Still I can not reccomend east tremont and gc . Try the niegborhoods below 167 close to the yankee stadium area or the niegborhoods above bedsford park boulevard. East tremont and gc is wild. However there are some nice apartments on morris avenue next to clairmont park next to bronx lebanon. Don't be a stick of hay moving into a pile of needles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City