Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times

Advertisements

The area is the Central Bronx, not the Southern Bronx. And it is not somewhere you want to be....your friend would be better off moving to the Yankee Stadium area (The Southern Bronx), or the Bedford Park/Kingsbridge Area (the Northern Bronx)...both along the Grand Concourse. It's everything in the middle (Central) that are not places you would want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:45 AM

236 posts, read 390,089 times
Since she has to move there due to her internship, just tell her to be careful. Try not to look and act like a victim and mind her business. Yes the area is not the best but if she does not have a choice she will have to deal with it. People on this forum tend to blow things out of the box when they are talking about anything New York.

P.S. Some pocket mace would not be a bad idea!!!!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:12 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I don't think she will be attacked and murdered, but more than likely she won't like the area/housing/people/shopping/entertainment venues, etc. It's just not a place most people want to be....if they have a choice.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenzNYCItalian View Post
i got shot on 167 and the grand concourse. if she is white, i would tell you NOT to have her move there. thats not the place for her. no racist intentions but im from the inner city and i got shot out there. why bother
seriously?

Old 08-26-2010, 03:06 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
even a place like Bedford park or Norwood, tho better than E Tremont, not sure how comfortable she would feel in an area that's still block after block of apartments and tenements

Riverdale or Woodlawn would seem more accomodating to a more rural type

Why is the Bronx so urban looking as compared to the other outer boroughs. I've taken the Q44 from Parkchester Square to the LIRR in Jamaica and all the tenements and rundown homes make going into Queens seem like night going into day. Even Jamaica doesn't seem as bad as the average parts of the Bronx. Does anyone know the hisory as to why the Bronx is filled with so much more urban housing choices? Why so few brownstones like Brooklyn or single/two family homes like Staten Island or Queens?

Old 08-26-2010, 03:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Why is the Bronx so urban looking as compared to the other outer boroughs. I've taken the Q44 from Parkchester Square to the LIRR in Jamaica and all the tenements and rundown homes make going into Queens seem like night going into day. Even Jamaica doesn't seem as bad as the average parts of the Bronx. Does anyone know the hisory as to why the Bronx is filled with so much more urban housing choices? Why so few brownstones like Brooklyn or single/two family homes like Staten Island or Queens?
You sure Jamaica Queens is safer then average parts of The Bronx even safe parts for that matter?

Old 08-26-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You sure Jamaica Queens is safer then average parts of The Bronx even safe parts for that matter?

I never take my car into the city, I depend on mass transit. What I know of the city is mostly along transit lines with the exception of Brooklyn. I grew up there in my earlier years. The ride on the Q44 was very pleasant through most of Queens it really didn't get grimy until we hit Sutphin and Archer and that area seemed no worse than The Hub in the Bronx. It just seems the residential area of the Bronx are so much more urban jungle than Queens. Take Soundview and Jackson Heights, both neighborhoods centered around the elevated 6 and 7 lines and have a large latino community. JH housing are nice apartment buildings, Soundview apartment buildings seem to be tenements. JH's single family housing seem to be SFH, Soundview's single family housing seems to be rows of SRO.. I know the Bronx has their Riverdale and Queens has some unsavory neighborhoods like the Far Rockaway projects. For the most part while Queens looks alive and thriving, you still get a feeling of urban blight in many parts of the Bronx.

My comments weren't on safety it was more about apperance. Howard Beach looks safe but some man accidently hit a kid in the street, that man was found dead several weeks later. The looks of a neighborhood has nothing to do with its safety

Last edited by 1nevets; 08-26-2010 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 05:37 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Wow,what an incredibly uninformed and inaccurate post.

Ever been to Riverdale,City Island,Country Club,Woodlawn,Morris Park,Pelham Gardens,Baychester,Throg's Neck,Pelham Bay,Edgewatwer, Silver Beach,Castle Hill,Van Cortlandt Village,Norwood,Bedford Park,most of Pelham Parkway,most of Allerton and most of Williamsbridge,Olinville and Wakefield ?

Look at a map.These neighborhoods make up way more than 50% of The Bronx and are all primarily detached ,single and 2 family houses.Most of this huge swath of The Bronx looks very similar to Queens except the parts that are actually nicer.This is rather typical:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:0,s:0

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...GIN_index.html

Sounds like you don't even know what an "average" Bronx neighborhood looks like.

Last edited by bluedog2; 08-26-2010 at 06:03 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Wow,what an incredibly uninformed and inaccurate post.

Ever been to Riverdale,City Island,Country Club,Woodlawn,Morris Park,Pelham Gardens,Baychester,Throg's Neck,Pelham Bay,Edgewatwer, Silver Beach,Castle Hill,Van Cortlandt Village,most of Pelham Parkway,most of Allerton and most of Williamsbridge,Olinville and Wakefield ?

Look at a map.These neighborhoods make up way more than 50% of The Bronx and are all primarily detached ,single and 2 family houses.

Sounds like you don't even know what an "average" Bronx neighborhood looks like.

I agree, my knowledge of the Bronx is very limited and with the exception of Riverdale, Throg's Neck, Woodlawn and City Island I haven't ventured into the other areas. However I was talking about a transit trip along the 6 line and Q44 bus. I do believe that many of those places are hidden gems and not what the average person sees when traveling through the Bronx. Didn't mean to offend, just making an observation.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:26 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
I agree, my knowledge of the Bronx is very limited and with the exception of Riverdale, Throg's Neck, Woodlawn and City Island I haven't ventured into the other areas. However I was talking about a transit trip along the 6 line and Q44 bus. I do believe that many of those places are hidden gems and not what the average person sees when traveling through the Bronx. Didn't mean to offend, just making an observation.
I just feel like I have to correct the record whenever the whole Bronx gets painted with such a broad brush.It's been going on for too long and is entirely unwarranted.I understand what you mean by the look of some parts of The Bronx but it's only some parts.Even the worst parts of The Bronx are no grimier and no crimier than the worst parts of Manhattan(parts of E Harlem,Upper Manhattan or LES) or the worst parts of Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City