Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:35 PM

199 posts, read 949,041 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest Van Cortlandt Village, Kingsbridge, and Riverdale for the Bronx - and nothing remotely like the stereotypical image of the Bronx. These areas are convenient to E. Tremont by public transport, though Riverdale less so.

Van Cortlandt Village is a tiny neighborhood near Riverdale with very affordable housing. It's one of the safest districts in NYC. Neighbors look out for one another. There's a mixture of single family houses, multi-families, co-ops and apartment buildings. You've got access via buses along Sedgwick Avenue and Bailey to other parts of the Bronx, plus access to the #1 subway at W238th, W242, and W231st as well as the #4 subway at Mosholu Parkway.

Kingsbridge is another neighborhood near Riverdale with affordable housing.

Riverdale is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the Bronx, but also one of the most expensive neighborhoods in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:18 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,771,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wivenhoe View Post
I'd suggest Van Cortlandt Village, Kingsbridge, and Riverdale for the Bronx - and nothing remotely like the stereotypical image of the Bronx. These areas are convenient to E. Tremont by public transport, though Riverdale less so.

Van Cortlandt Village is a tiny neighborhood near Riverdale with very affordable housing. It's one of the safest districts in NYC. Neighbors look out for one another. There's a mixture of single family houses, multi-families, co-ops and apartment buildings. You've got access via buses along Sedgwick Avenue and Bailey to other parts of the Bronx, plus access to the #1 subway at W238th, W242, and W231st as well as the #4 subway at Mosholu Parkway.

Kingsbridge is another neighborhood near Riverdale with affordable housing.

Riverdale is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the Bronx, but also one of the most expensive neighborhoods in NYC.

In my past experience Bronx was always that grimy place you pass to get to Westchester or the GWB. Only recently have I started venturing into the Bronx because of a girl I'm dating who lives in Soundview. After seeing mice in her apartnent, I've hinted to her to move to Queens. She is adamant about staying in the Bronx because her big, big, big family lives in the Bronx. They seem to live all over the Bronx, we have traveled almost 40 mnutes to get to one Didi's house. Every neighborhood we go to looks like Soundview. It's nice to know there are better parts of the Bronx. Maybe one day I can convince her to move in one of these neighborhoods where it's nicer looking but still close to her family.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
In my past experience Bronx was always that grimy place you pass to get to Westchester or the GWB. Only recently have I started venturing into the Bronx because of a girl I'm dating who lives in Soundview. After seeing mice in her apartnent, I've hinted to her to move to Queens. She is adamant about staying in the Bronx because her big, big, big family lives in the Bronx. They seem to live all over the Bronx, we have traveled almost 40 mnutes to get to one Didi's house. Every neighborhood we go to looks like Soundview. It's nice to know there are better parts of the Bronx. Maybe one day I can convince her to move in one of these neighborhoods where it's nicer looking but still close to her family.
I know Queens is on an Island and all but Queens have mice too. Manhattan is the capital of mice, I work in a luxury building in midtown and the mice problems we have with tenants is hilarous, like these transplants never saw a mouse before. one mouse should not deter you to move but if its mice its a different story. Not every where in the Bronx looks like soundview, if thats the case Soundview and Riverdale looks the same! Maybe you should say Soundview feels like the South bronx.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I know Queens is on an Island and all but Queens have mice too. Manhattan is the capital of mice, I work in a luxury building in midtown and the mice problems we have with tenants is hilarous, like these transplants never saw a mouse before. one mouse should not deter you to move but if its mice its a different story. Not every where in the Bronx looks like soundview, if thats the case Soundview and Riverdale looks the same! Maybe you should say Soundview feels like the South bronx.

She's Latina and I've been googling all the places I've been to see her relatives and 90% have been in the South or Central Bronx. Another poster named several better parts of the Bronx. This weekend I plan to go to some of these places with her. Walk around, go to a nice restaurant! City Island and these Cuchifrto dives are getting old. A poster gave me an area with some Italian restaurants but I'd really like to try a Polish restaurant but I'm don't think they have any in the Bronx.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I know Queens is on an Island and all but Queens have mice too. Manhattan is the capital of mice, I work in a luxury building in midtown and the mice problems we have with tenants is hilarous, like these transplants never saw a mouse before. one mouse should not deter you to move but if its mice its a different story.

I don't believe in a mouse. If you see a mouse in your place you have mice. It's pathetic but I have a phobia with rodents. I'm even afraid of squirrels. I can't sit at a park bench by myself for fear they might attack me.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:09 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
Then you should probably move out of the city...there are something like 10x more rats/mice than residents in NYC....which includes Queens and all the outerborough.

The Bronx is actually predominantly suburban...not urban...although the most densely populated areas are the most urban. If you took a real tour through the Bronx, instead of walking aimlessly, you would see the vast differences in neighborhoods architecturally and ethnically.

I still think this person should be either in the Yankee Stadium area, or further north by Bedford Park.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,894 times
Put it like this; if she minds her business and doesn't attract attention to herself she will be fine. Tell her to follow all the usual city safety rules. No expensive cell phones/ipods/itouches out, no taking wallets out, no placing money, phones, or metrocards in back pockets. East Tremont in general is a scary place to go during the day time hours. My brother lives by east tremont and needless to say I don't go visit him much and when I do I am out of there before the sun goes down.

The Bronx requires street smarts with a mix of common sense. She should avoid underground subways late at night unless traveling with friends/family. Like I said, common sense is essential and even the most naive people can survive in this city.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:15 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,634,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
even a place like Bedford park or Norwood, tho better than E Tremont, not sure how comfortable she would feel in an area that's still block after block of apartments and tenements

Riverdale or Woodlawn would seem more accomodating to a more rural type
I don't think that's a fair characterization of Bedford Park and Norwood. They are primarily apartment buildings, but most of them are art deco--the architecture is really quite nice--I wouldn't describe them as tenaments. And there are also houses--mostly victorians in the Queen Anne style (we own one of these).

Riverdale and Woodlawn are a different feel. Yes, much more suburban but with much less convenient transportation. I happen to know a lot of people in Woodlawn, and it seems like most everyone there has a car, whereas where I live in Bedford Park, you can get along very nicely without one.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:54 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I don't think that's a fair characterization of Bedford Park and Norwood. They are primarily apartment buildings, but most of them are art deco--the architecture is really quite nice--I wouldn't describe them as tenaments. And there are also houses--mostly victorians in the Queen Anne style (we own one of these).

Riverdale and Woodlawn are a different feel. Yes, much more suburban but with much less convenient transportation. I happen to know a lot of people in Woodlawn, and it seems like most everyone there has a car, whereas where I live in Bedford Park, you can get along very nicely without one.
I definitely agree.I don't know how anyone could characterize Bedford Park and Norwood as "block after block of apartments and tenements." There aren't many tenements at all that I know of and most of the apartment buildings are either art deco,post war(5O's) or sort of faded but grand 1920's buildings with fabulous details.And aren't the apartment buildings mostly on the corners with free standing houses in the middle of most blocks ? Pretty nice houses too!

Not sure any of this matters however because it sounded to me like the person the OP posted about doesn't have a choice about neighborhood.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:10 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Well it looks like the OP has to remain in tremont section of the Bronx which is not so pleaseant but its still a roof of her head and its for an internship so I guess the rent is being paid for. We have to becareful on how we mention East Tremont, Because East Tremont extends from Morris Hieghts along a parallel path with Cross Bronx Expressway all the way down to Troggs Neck area. Not all of East tremont Avenue is bad, the only part of Tremont Avenue thats no so pleseant is between Southern Boulevard all the way to University Avenue or MLK boulevard. I would really suggest for the OP to talk to the people providing the board to ask to get an apartment in the Yankee Stadium area which is more safer then tremont and closer to Manhattan for leisure and festivaties or Norwood area near Montifiore Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City