Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:19 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
There is always stuff to do in Burlington and Brattleboro. Burlington and Brattleboro are full of cultural venues and good places to eat out. Plus there are outdoor activities. I would not be moving to the super-rural boonies.

In other places in Vermont, you often have to travel a bit to get to do things. But the same is true in NYC if you live in the outer boroughs.

Of course, you don't have the overwhelming number of choices that you have in NYC, but how much can you do in one weekend?

BTW, I used to live in Narragansett, Rhode Island. For a while I lived on a tiny island (Great Island) in the salt pond. One day I didn't feel well and either had no food in the house or didn't want to cook. I called lots of local restaurants but no one would deliver, except for one. And when I told that restaurant where I was, they said they didn't go there. I really appreciated New York that day. Food for thought.

Speaking of food, you can get bagels in Vermont, but they taste funny. Kind of pasty.

I'm not really concerned about having nothing to do, but I have been warned about the long, cold winters. Fortunately, both Burlington and Brattleboro have milder temperatures than most of the rest of Vermont. I was in Brattleboro this winter, in January and February, and the cold was perfectly manageable. But it was a pretty mild winter.

You can always bundle up in the cold, but you can't bundle down in the heat.
we'll see, good luck on your move, but don't burn any bridges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 04:41 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times
Koer677, are you a passionate lover of New York City, who believes that no other place is as good to live in? Or are you simply one of those people who like to trash other people's interests and aspirations?

You're not just raining on my parade. You're peeing on it.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:49 AM

203 posts, read 852,815 times
Vermont is one of the most beautiful places on the planet...I kind of envy you moving there.

We did leave NY but we're coming back. I'm just not ready for the slower pace yet...either that or I got it out of my system. You're never 'stuck' anywhere. It might take some work to go back but it can be done if you find that you don't care for Vermont. One good thing about going back...if you ever did...is that you're already familiar with the place.

I think you'll love Vermont. You'll have to continue to post on this forum to let us know how it turns out!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:19 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I'd LOVE to visit but I would never move back. Blahhh! As much as I complain about Florida, NY was way to dreary and horrifying to live there on a daily basis. No offense- really. I'm not trying to be rude but even when we would visit (and my family and I visit often), it always seems to have this aire of dreariness and "gray-ness" to it that I can't deal with anymore.
That's funny. I grew up in Detroit, but we owned a house in Clearwater Fla, near family who had moved down there from NC, years before. We enjoyed going there during the middle of the winter, but I always felt Florida was kind of sad. I don't really know how to quantify it, but it just had kind of a lonely feeling to me.
Oh well. To each his own.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:51 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Koer677, are you a passionate lover of New York City, who believes that no other place is as good to live in? Or are you simply one of those people who like to trash other people's interests and aspirations?

hahaha, nope, I'm just someone who has been there and done that, I know VT quite well and I lived in NYC for 25 years, and have been out of NYC for 25 years, either you can benefit from experience or you can learn for yourself

Old 06-27-2007, 09:58 AM

140 posts, read 301,185 times
Quote:
I'm in the process of planning a move from Brooklyn to Vermont.

One of the things that scare me is that I may want to come back to NYC but won't be able to.

I met a woman several years ago who visited Florida, sold her home and moved there, then moved back to her old neighborhood, to a different house.

I have seen some posts about people who left NYC and want to come back, or who have come back.

I'm interested in hearing about some of these people's experiences.
We left NYC 5 years ago. We moved to FL, I wish, I would never done it. I hate Florida. We will be back some day for sure, we just cannot now. We used to live in Manhattan in East Village. My friends that moved to Florida, have already moved back to NY, CT, or NJ.
DO NOT MOVE SOUTH FROM NORTH!!! You will never get use to.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:56 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andzia74 View Post
We left NYC 5 years ago. We moved to FL, I wish, I would never done it. I hate Florida. We will be back some day for sure, we just cannot now. We used to live in Manhattan in East Village. My friends that moved to Florida, have already moved back to NY, CT, or NJ.
DO NOT MOVE SOUTH FROM NORTH!!! You will never get use to.
I couldn't or wouldn't, but I lean toward couldn't.
Took me 17 years in South (5 in TN and 12 in NC) to finally smell the coffee and come back North.
While originally from Detroit, I love NYC, winters and all.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:25 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
For many people it is hard to leave the region you live. Too bad for them. I know people who moved to Florida and came back out of bordem. At the same time these idiots ended up moving back to Florida and staying there in the long run.

Just remember to give your new home a chance. Take advantage of what Vermont offers you.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:54 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Quote:

Arel, You asked a question and got an answer. It seems like you may be having some doubts about moving to Bratt or you wouldn't be asking this question. Don't trash or try to brush off everyone who won't dispel your doubts as adequately as you'd like them to!

I lived just outside of Brattleboro for a while and moved away to a larger city. It is a great place when there are things going on (arts, music, museums, events), but the town rolls up at night and for a city person it can become very claustrophobic--you will be going from a city of 8 million to a town of 12,000. Also, I don't know your age but there are not a lot of young people around. To give you some perspective on this, I lived in POUGHKEEPSIE and Bratt was too small and homogenous for me. I also like to have diverse types of food and while Bratt has the ethnic staples (Indian, Sushi, Thai) it only has about 1 of each of these places and there isn't anything more exotic (Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Filipino, etc).

However, a lot of people do love it. It all depends on what works for YOU. If you like nature and small town life, you'll enjoy it. If you're expecting a mini Brooklyn in the middle of Vermont you'll soon learn that this is not the case.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:56 PM

319 posts, read 494,116 times
You know... I've seen A LOT of Florida license plates around the city lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: