Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:18 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,766 times

Advertisements

anyone else affected by the person who got hit by the the B train yesterday during rush hour? i was on the train that killed the person but they didnt tell us that...they had us stuck underground and after 20 mins they said ems was coming to look for a body which took 30 mins to find and we ended up getting stuck for over an hour underground with no A/C to be let out at 125th in chaos. Took me 30 mins to get a bus to ride all the way up to the heights. Im moving to South Dakota.

Massive Delays After Train Strikes Person at 116th Street | NBC New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 05:31 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Wow, that's why the whole line was shut down. I was at a 1 station and I heard the announcement, and was wondering why.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:50 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post
anyone else affected by the person who got hit by the the B train yesterday during rush hour? i was on the train that killed the person but they didnt tell us that...they had us stuck underground and after 20 mins they said ems was coming to look for a body which took 30 mins to find and we ended up getting stuck for over an hour underground with no A/C to be let out at 125th in chaos. Took me 30 mins to get a bus to ride all the way up to the heights. Im moving to South Dakota.

Massive Delays After Train Strikes Person at 116th Street | NBC New York
they actually told the passengers that ems was looking for a body? i thought things like that shouldnt be said cause of panic. idk

Old 08-20-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
they actually told the passengers that ems was looking for a body? i thought things like that shouldnt be said cause of panic. idk

at first they said we were being held because of police investigation then after about 10 mins they told us they were looking for a body..it would be kind of hard to not tell us considering we saw all the emergency workers walking around with flashlights looking everywhere and carrying a stretcher to hold the body on once it was found...only thing they didnt tell us is that we were on the train which hit the person which became obvious after i read the news story that the person was hit at 5:20 considering thats the exact time we stopped.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
i was on the train that killed the person but they didnt tell us that...
I can tell you as an MTA employee--it's not standard operating procedure to tell passengers that someone was just hit by a train. (I'm a tower operator and I was off that day, so I don't know the exact circumstances of the incident. But if you expect to be told that a person was just hit by a train, then you were going to be disappointed in any case).

As regards massive delays...power is going to be turned off, and any time there's an incident like that, the first thing anyone should expect is that trains aren't going to move.

Of course you're free to move to South Dakota, but that sounds like an awfully extreme reaction. (Plus, the winters there are much, much colder than they are in New York!)

Old 08-20-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I can tell you as an MTA employee--it's not standard operating procedure to tell passengers that someone was just hit by a train. (I'm a tower operator and I was off that day, so I don't know the exact circumstances of the incident. But if you expect to be told that a person was just hit by a train, then you were going to be disappointed in any case).

As regards massive delays...power is going to be turned off, and any time there's an incident like that, the first thing anyone should expect is that trains aren't going to move.

Of course you're free to move to South Dakota, but that sounds like an awfully extreme reaction. (Plus, the winters there are much, much colder than they are in New York!)

Im joking about South Dakota i would jump on the tracks myself before i would ever move there. I'm not leaving ny till i die but being stuck for over an hour underground with no A/C then not being able to get a bus for over 30 mins on 125th when we finally got out drove me insane yesterday...we were not that far from the 116th platform so they could of just let us evacuate the train instead of making us sit there for all that time but i guess theyre scared of lawsuits due to injuries. I cant find any information as to how that person ended up on the tracks

Old 08-20-2010, 08:01 AM

43 posts, read 127,584 times
I heard it on the 1 train line as well and they just said it was due to a signal malfunction.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinn421 View Post
I heard it on the 1 train line as well and they just said it was due to a signal malfunction.

I've learned that with the MTA a "signal malfunction" is just something they use for every problem when they dont wanna tell u the truth.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:15 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
I've learned that with the MTA a "signal malfunction" is just something they use for every problem when they dont wanna tell u the truth.
That's not true; a typical comment from someone who doesn't work for MTA. The real danger here is that someone might read that and believe you.

Incidentally, the story I heard at work yesterday was that the woman was actually hit by a B train. She wasn't killed, but instead jumped up and started running across the tracks...where an express hit her and finished her off.

The bottom line seems to be that the general public doesn't have as much respect for the potential dangers of a subway system as they should. Way too many people do things they aren't supposed to--and then find a way to blame the system when they get hurt (or, of course, their survivors find a way to blame the system when they get killed).

Old 08-21-2010, 07:20 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's not true; a typical comment from someone who doesn't work for MTA. The real danger here is that someone might read that and believe you.

Incidentally, the story I heard at work yesterday was that the woman was actually hit by a B train. She wasn't killed, but instead jumped up and started running across the tracks...where an express hit her and finished her off.

The bottom line seems to be that the general public doesn't have as much respect for the potential dangers of a subway system as they should. Way too many people do things they aren't supposed to--and then find a way to blame the system when they get hurt (or, of course, their survivors find a way to blame the system when they get killed).

I also think some people just cant help themselves. Not that they dont have the respect, but because someone in their head is telling them to do certain things. Im on the front line everyday and have come to this realization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City